Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #135 - 01/23/09 at 19:07:05

All this cool weather is making me itch for a long ride.

Lynchburg tn. to blue ridge " river road" thursday
BlueRidge to Toymaker's Friday
back to the Dragon Saturday, and points along the way
Sunday back to blue ridge
Monday "river road "  Again !!!! Yeee - Ya !!!!

Tuesday 'bengay' from dawn to dusk?

What a  week !! What a  life !!

I can barrely WAIT.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #136 - 01/23/09 at 19:31:06

I have a tentative schedule that goes like this.

Wed early A.M. leave new hampshire with bike loaded in back of pick-up truck.
Wed afternoon/evening arrive at Front Royal, Va. set up tent, have a few beverages, crash for the night.
Thurs A.M. unload bike and ride Skyline Drive then return to campsite for another night.
Friday A.M. leave for Toymakers arrive sometime in the afternoon.
Sat A.M. ride to Deals Gap
Sat P.M. sleep on my warm comfy futon.
Sun A.M. return to Toymakers, load truck and head north
That gives me a couple days to meander my way home to be back at work for wendsday morning.
If I had more time I would ride the bike down and back.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 01/23/09 at 21:55:14

Me,  I will work an extra hour or two each day earlier in the week, then I will ride the packed bike to work Friday.   Ditch work at 11:00 and hit the road, arriving at Toymakers around 5:30 pm.

Then, jest go with the flow for the weekend -- it is never boring and it hasn't ever "gone as planned" exactly ever before so this time the plan is to jest go do it, whatever it is that we do.   With a big grin too.

====================

The month before we go I will ride no other bike than the Savage and I will intentionally sharpen up on my hard cornering skills.  

This means going past just mildly scraping pegs on occasion to the intentional hard scrubbing stage.  Intentionally sharpening and increasing a turn while inside a turn.  

Forming the habit of always running at a higher RPM in a lower gear while turning so that some engine braking is always available if needed.   (darn critical that you practice this some the month before because it isn't your normal habit)

Doing engine braking while in a turn while increasing the lean angle of the turn ...  while NOT using the brakes per se.  

Being able to change up and be fluid and NOT panic as the road curve and the off-camber angle changes unexpectedly.  

Concentrate on finishing the turn, never trying to hit the brakes (takes you right straight off the road it does, braking in a turn)

Flipping from right hard lean to left hard lean to right hard lean to left hard lean (cutting repeated linear S snakes in an empty parking lot at 15-20 mph)

(this practicing some up front for the hard mountain turns is the critical skills building stuff that saves your ass up in the mountains)

===============

Yeah, I keep saying we are going to ride safe and all that (and we will)  but fact is that the road creeps up on you periodically and if you aren't ready to change up and handle it, you crash.

And I don't normally take turns in 3rd gear with the bike revving up on purpose, but I will practice that until it feels all normal and habitual to me BEFORE I get within flaming distance of that nasty 'ol Dragon ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #138 - 01/24/09 at 03:15:28

My schedule....

Week of ride....

Make sure bike is running well
cut grass and make sure pool is ready for guests.
Wait for folks to arrive.

Saturday..Ride like the wind...yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sunday...ride like a sane person...yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa
Monday....wave bye-bye.....start planning for next year. Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #139 - 01/24/09 at 05:30:02

Yep, but you LIVE up in them there mountains and put 10,000+ bike miles a year on your favorite curvy roads.

I have to bone up on it before I come to ride behind you ...  or else you'd just leave me in the dust.

Lancer just must be a natural, he just rides the shite out of his bike and leaves both of us behind.

============

Take this the right way, all you new dudes going on the trip.  Most of you ride "very well" where you normally ride.  Take a clue from me, bone up some on that hard turn riding with your wick turned up in a lower gear some before we get together.  

Then you can "ride safe".

Lancer and Toymaker, them boys will splat you if you don't bone up a bit and get sharp ahead of time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #140 - 01/24/09 at 06:46:06

hey now...I haven't splatted in a long time...lemmee see...last week..yep splatted then...

Because I can!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #141 - 01/24/09 at 07:03:55

I just want you guys to know that I clean myself up squeeky cleeen every time I splatt, whether I need it or not.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #142 - 01/24/09 at 07:14:36

is that BEFORE splatting or After?   hmmmmmmm? Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #143 - 01/24/09 at 07:50:52

Plans for Week of ride
Fri leave home to Blue Ridge meet up with MMRance on to Toymakers then I'm open for any thing as long as I'm headed home Sunday...Boss lady said so. Looking forward to a ride with fellow savagers.... I have done several trips with the other crowd, you know the type that have more than one cylinder and the little beast keeps up with them just fine. of corse I know how to make the whole crowd duck and cover. and i also take a fair amount of ribbing for the oversized Briggs and Stratton
any way  it should be a fun weekend.
Gap in 07
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/928435/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1057563/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1057560/

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #144 - 01/24/09 at 15:47:42

Okay you two practical jokers, you go and splatt one of the newbies again on this trip, you get to be the one to epoxy finger his crack this time.   I did it last time.

Lancer, are you bringing a decent set of tools with you again this time?  I got the RR kit, some spare harley pegs and some 5 minute fix it all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #145 - 01/24/09 at 16:21:19

hey now...who rode a bazillion miles to get the epoxy?....I think Lancer should be the "finger" this time...afterall...he was the last to realize we had a rider down...he was too busy chasing Lady Godiva.....

hehehehe....

::SPLATT::

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #146 - 01/24/09 at 16:29:16

SORRY NO PLANS ON that there  SPLATT  riden a rental and sorry gona be a V twin but this just sounds better every day.  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #147 - 01/25/09 at 00:07:56

Toymaker wrote on 01/24/09 at 16:21:19:
hey now...who rode a bazillion miles to get the epoxy?....I think Lancer should be the "finger" this time...afterall...he was the last to realize we had a rider down...he was too busy chasing Lady Godiva.....

hehehehe....

::SPLATT::

Lancer, if the good lady shows up this time, you take the left, I'll go right.  Otherwise one of us is going to put both your bikes in the ditch.  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #148 - 01/25/09 at 05:48:48

I always carry tools, so yes, will do so for this ride as well.

Lady Godiva ?  OK guys, delete this thought malfunction.  It was just a guy and his lady on a SLOW moving over loaded HD something-glide; dragging his pegs and swerving dangerously out of his lane on every other turn who happened to get in front of the camera.  I was bummed having to slow down for the guy and also concerned that he would meet a car or truck coming the other way on one of his wide turns into the other lane.
Anywho, I don't need to follow some bleached blonde to have fun, it is the ROAD that I like.  Curvy mountain roads are really a fun time for me.  I spent quite a few years flying military helicopters, with a signifiicant amount of time dodging small arms fire/RPG's/AAA/etc, as well as trees/power lines/fence posts/water buffalo's and such while skiming along 3' off the ground at 150 mph; so I tend to like a bit of a RUSH from time to time.  Since I cannot fly anymore I need to get my jolly's riding bikes on mountain roads...sort of like flying on the ground with the wind in your face.    Smiley  Cheesy  Grin

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #149 - 01/25/09 at 08:23:42

Hey Lancer.....

::SPLATT!::

hheheehehe

Because I can!
  IP Logged