Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: This Year's Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #1260 - 08/08/10 at 19:16:11

MidnightRider I'll bet you would make a reaallly good guide for the BlackLine part of the next Dragon trip.   That Passing on blind curves gives me the willies............but those curves sure are FUN !!!!!!!!!!!

Toymaker if you get back the 25th , that would be Great !  Should we take the Savages or the bigger bikes?  Either way it's a no/loose situation !     .   Hay maby a fall ride in that area would be a good warm up type thing .    When the leaves start changing ya want to put a ride together.?   maby a weekend thing so the working folks can join in .

I'm thinking meet Saturday morning and ride home Sunday evening
 Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1261 - 08/08/10 at 19:55:50

Really hate I didnt get to go with you guys this time, ah the joys of being married to a cop LOL. I can run Highway 80 in my sleep LOL. I use to ride my bicycle down Hwy 80 and swim in the Buck Creek growing up. MM you remember Charles, my buddy with the Road King. Him and I are planning on going back up to the Dragon and camping a couple of nights around the 3rd week in Sep. I'll let you know when we set a date. You and any rest of the guys come join us if you can.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #1262 - 08/09/10 at 04:53:37

MMranch, if I can, I'd love a run...nut I'll have to let you know.  October would be great, but I have an anniversery in there too....and Momma comes first to ridin'

Because I can!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1263 - 08/09/10 at 06:20:38

MidnightRider

Third week in September .     Sounds like a good time for a ride !

I'm itching to take the Sportster for a ride like that.   I've seen that harleys  trying to keep up with Savages in a hurry does't work.  But I still got the itch.

I'm retired so weekend or weekday doesn't matter a lot.

Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1264 - 08/09/10 at 06:42:54

MMRanch wrote on 08/09/10 at 06:20:38:
MidnightRider

Third week in September .     Sounds like a good time for a ride !

I'm itching to take the Sportster for a ride like that.   I've seen that harleys  trying to keep up with Savages in a hurry does't work.  But I still got the itch.

I'm retired so weekend or weekday doesn't matter a lot.

Cool
I'll keep in touch and give you a date when we decide on it.  Charles and I are retired also so we'll probably go during the week so hopefully it wont be so crowded.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1265 - 08/09/10 at 07:11:13

The key word is "relative hurry", most Hurley riders don't hurry any at all and they do get stopped 100% by anything that gets in front of them when up on mountain roads.

MM, you will know you got the bug when you start passing things that are going too too too slow in sections of road that simply aren't skeery to you any more.  You know durn well you are going pretty slow compared to what you can do and they are jest creeping along and you know it.  

Your skeery level simply has been raised somewhat Dragon runs and our other little outings.   You also know jest how quick you can get around something like that, so you do it.    Passing things on a motorcycle is a skill, jest like taking a sweeper turn -- you watch somebody do it and then you practice doing it yourself some.

Think of Phil or Southpaw -- what would stop them from passing 100% jest won't stop you any more.   You know how to pass things safely.

Toymaker the Barbarian riding on his Savage would pass things, I watched him do it.   Now that he is all used to his Kawachunkie he sometimes is content to run at or under the 55 mph speed limit and run along behind people doing less than that.

You will also know you got the bug when you cannot abide the blocked up Parkway as 15-25 mph range is creeping along too too slowly and having a pair of them spandex clad side by side bicycle riders setting the pace for a whole line of traffic becomes something you really can't take for very long.

VROOOOOMMMM !!!  (pass two)

VROOOOOMMMM !!!  (pass one)

VROOOOOMMMM !!!  (pass two)

VROOOOOMMMM !!!  (pass the two cyclists)

And be free again .....   (ah!  priceless)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1266 - 08/09/10 at 13:52:17

O.F.

I know your right and at the time ZOOMING around them slow pokes seem the right thing to do , and "ON WITH THE RIDE".   I'm realy glad we didn't meet the law at  --- Just the WRONG time ---  .   The odds of the on comming traffic having a badge is still there . Cool

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1267 - 08/11/10 at 00:15:41

Yep, even so --- jest how far will he then have to go to find a place to turn around?

I hope a LEO wouldn't try to do a road turn on them little bitty roads ..... he'd be all sideways a doing it when the semi got there !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1268 - 08/11/10 at 20:23:41

Yea better they find the truck than one of us.   I know they are just folks but as a groop they tend to get the "better than you" autidute or "we can break the law but you can't."

I might have to ride around with the ToyMaker and Big Bueaty speed for a trip or two , but I'm sure I'll be ready for a curve or two by time Dragon season gets here again.

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1269 - 08/14/10 at 12:24:08

Watch out Toymaker -- I smell a trip to Mount Mitchell a'coming your way.

Cheesy   Grin    Cheesy    Grin   Cheesy   Grin    Cheesy    Grin   Cheesy   Grin    Cheesy    Grin    Cheesy    Grin   Cheesy  

Make SURE you gas up 100% before you get on that stretch of Parkway as it exceeds the Savage gas tank ability to get here and to go up and down the Mt. Mitchell parkway extension part w/out running completely out of gas on a Savage.    

(it is a trip, fer shure)

And such is the reason for using the Sportster wid the bigger gas tank -- MM has him a Mt. Mitchell itch to scratch (gotta count him some xxx hundred stair steps there for the Boy Scouts) and you are going wid him for the ride ....

....  and the walk to it, and the climb up it,  and the climb back down it and then the walk back.    

And then the long ride back out.

Grin   Grin    Grin    Grin            got any evil left in ya after that little climb up & down the xx hundred stairs there good buddy ??

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1270 - 08/14/10 at 14:41:42

If you get off the Parkway at Highway 80 and travel  1.5 miles on Highway 80 like you are going towards Burnsville there is a gas station on the left. The road that goes to my Dad's place is right across Highway 80 from the gas station. Thats where I spent my summers growing up and where I learned how to ride a motorcycle. I asked you guys a long time ago if any of you had ever ridden Highway 80, no one responded. I'm glad some of you have now. I think 80 is a tougher ride than the Dragon because of the extreme elevation change. I've been riding 80 ever since I turned 16, first time I rode the Dragon back in the 90's it wasnt that big a deal, I have been riding roads like it all my life. But I will say this, you cant beat the scenery around Deal's Gap. Too me it is about the most beautiful place I've ever ridden. Growing up around Mt Mitchell I've actually seen it windsnow in July. Thats one place you never wanna go without a jacket. Highway 80 isnt the only good road around Mitchell, you could spend days on great roads in the area. I consider myself fortunate spending my summers growing up and learning how to ride in that area.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1271 - 08/14/10 at 16:45:54

Highway 80 isnt the only good road around Mitchell, you could spend days on great roads in the area.

I think thats a very good idea.  Campground $12.oo a night another $12 for food and another $12 for fuel .... $36.oo a day and a "GREAT" vacation.    Cool

I'm going to have to take the wife on one of these rides "It might have to be the next one"

Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1272 - 08/14/10 at 18:12:36

MMRanch wrote on 08/14/10 at 16:45:54:
Highway 80 isnt the only good road around Mitchell, you could spend days on great roads in the area.

I think thats a very good idea.  Campground $12.oo a night another $12 for food and another $12 for fuel .... $36.oo a day and a "GREAT" vacation.    Cool

I'm going to have to take the wife on one of these rides "It might have to be the next one"

I might know where you can find a good guide LOL. Another cool thing about growing up there was my Dad's place bordered Pisgah National Forest. Back then (when I was 11 yrs old) you didnt have to have a drivers license or a licensed vehicle to ride the forest service roads. When I was 11 my Dad had a Honda 100. I could hop on the Honda and ride forest service roads all the way down to Old Fort. Over a 30 mile ride one way , not only learned how to handle a mountain curve but I also became a pretty good flat tracker.  Those forest service roads have a lot of 180's and swithbacks. Those were the days, I literally grew up in motorcycle heaven. My Dad encouraged me to ride and trusted my judgement back then. Didnt mean a lot to me back then but it means a lot to me now. Could you imagine in this day and age giving an 11 year old the keys to a motorcycle and tell him he can ride 60 miles? Of couse I usually brought him back my limit of fresh rainbow trout whenever I went riding. Cant complain about my childhood, just wish I could go back and do it all over again.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1273 - 08/14/10 at 20:04:19

MMRanch wrote on 08/14/10 at 16:45:54:

Mike if you get off the Parkway at Highway 80 and take a left like you are headed towards Burnsville you go about 5 miles and there is a beautiful Forest Service Campground called Carolina Hemlock. The South Toe River runs through it and there is a nice swimming hole and little beach if your wife likes to lay out in the sun. They have showers, its one of the prettiest campgrounds you'll ever see.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #1274 - 08/14/10 at 20:50:26

midnightrider,makes me sorry I live this side of the States,sounds like you guys are having a ball,do you take the Ninja or the Savage ?
Cant get much stuff on the ninja,or did you get saddle bags for it yet ?
Keep your fingers crossed mike But I am getting a little more movement in my left hand,I still cant make a fist, but my Doctor has started me back on theropy,and it seems to be helping,I am following all his instructions to the letter.
If it comes back what do I buy ,a ninja or a Savage ?
Be carefull up there guys,but not so carefull you aint having fun.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:15:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.