Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: This Year's Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #1245 - 08/08/10 at 02:00:26

Hate to say it, but your 900 pound Kawasaki may be pretty and it may be comfortable, but it simply cannot keep up with the Savages on them mountain roads.  

Mebbe if you ride your Savage to the next Dragon Run and re-hone all your dicing traffic skills (pass everything that we pass) to stay up with the front runners .....

Toymaker, you just had a major go down and you haven't had time to get over that yet, but you will.   Riding your Savage aggressively somewhat will help you with that recovery as "it can" so soon you realize that "you can!"  

Riding around with Phil and company isn't going to help as you can lead that pack all day long and you will never even touch where we are going on the Black Line Rides.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #1246 - 08/08/10 at 03:05:30

'nuff said.

Just ride safe.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #1247 - 08/08/10 at 03:59:53

Toymaker wrote on 08/08/10 at 03:05:30:
'nuff said.

Just ride safe.

I missed you not being there dude.
You missed out on some fine riding roads too.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #1248 - 08/08/10 at 04:13:00

I missed not being there too, but apparently I lack the needed skills and I ride much to slowly to ride with you guys.  I'll stick with the "old, slow guy" roads and only plan on taking my "walker wheels" off during the  "slow folks days" at the Dragon each year.

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1249 - 08/08/10 at 04:13:16

Toymaker the Barbarian would have loved them.  That switchback road would have had him giggling & laughing out loud by the time we stopped up at the top.

"Let's go back down it and then come back up it again faster !!!  

Wheeeeeeeeee !!!!"

(he's still in there, jest let him out a little riding on his Savage)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1250 - 08/08/10 at 07:41:37

ToyMaker I've been wanting to take the Sportster on a road like the Dragon sometime....
Maby we can do a Dragon Riders thing where it doin't matter what you ride .  
But I doin't want to bring a big bike on what OldFeller is talking about  @#$$@!!!%^^%  , I doin't think anybody would except a couple of "crouch idiots" it would be BAD and I'm not sure they could keep up.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #1251 - 08/08/10 at 08:14:03

Where would be the meeting place for the Black line run....
Time to start my planning and hinting at the boss that i will gone a whole week... plus I need to start my rat hole of cash
and is it camp in one place the whole time. or pack up and camp in a diffrent place every night?

It will affect how I pack the bike.....
Yeasr ago back in the  late 80's I had a 81 cb900. rode the blue ridge from Cherokee NC north for a week and turned around and rode south camping in a diffrentt spot every night..... That was fun

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1252 - 08/08/10 at 09:40:03

Toymaker, MMRanch is speaking of keeping up with what happens when I "disappeared" on you several times riding at full rate, and HELL NO you wouldn't want to be on a Hurley of any kind trying to ride around traffic at that pace.   Or a Kawachunkie either.    

<shudder>

Once again -- The Dragon Run doesn't change.

we have always had other bikes welcome during Dragon Week.    Toymaker is welcome on his Kawachunkie as he always has been, as is Rocket Phil and is whomever riding whatever that gets brought along as a friend.   Dragon Week is not restrictive, we just stress that only the last few days are the "beginner friendly" days (and it really will be safer for the beginners because I will be drawing off all the frogs with me -- you'll have totally  frog free days)

==============================

Kel, we will jell the date for the Black Line Ride after the first few days of the next Dragon ride is over.   I'd just plan to go to the first days of Dragon Week as normal, taking the whole week off. Heck, we may jest quietly ride on away from the group at one point in time and jest go Black Lining for the last few days of the week while they are dealing with "Safe Day Saturday and Sunday" and all the newbies mechanical errors and learning curves and stuff.

Really, it's not like they can keep up with us anyway to see where we are going,  to them we simply "disappeared for hours" they get left so far behind.    'Cept this time it will be that we "disappeared for a couple of days".   There won't be all that many of us and the inflow of newbies will greatly outnumber us anyway so we won't be missed for much.

The announcement for the Black Line Ride could be as simple as a heads up that we're leaving on this next run.   Then you could decide if you wanted to go or not, load a couple of days worth of stuff up in your bags and RIDE.   After the first small town the ones who cannot keep up would be self-separated anyway.

============================

You would expect the number of Black Line capable riders would increase naturally each year as the tadpoles grow up in skill level to be full blown frogs, and the ones who were marginal last year might be capable of making the ride this year after a few days of early Dragon Week hard practice.

If you are considering going Black Line, try practicing passing things with very hard short accelerations around your  home town jest to get a feel for that particular action.   You can do that legally anywhere and then you can practice high speed sweepers and fast curves up on the Skyway during the first days of Dragon Week.

Mod and tune your bike
.   Replace your brake pads and tires and any other wear related item well before Dragon week so they can seat in good before action week.

« Last Edit: 08/08/10 at 10:56:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1253 - 08/08/10 at 11:04:38

Looks like Dragon Week starts June 26 and runs through July 2 --- is this the vacation week the mgf plant guys have off ??

Seems we had an issue last year where we had to tune the week to match up with the most common week off for the plant guys, didn't we?

What is it this year ??

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1254 - 08/08/10 at 11:08:45

Being that the 4th is monday, I would expect the 2, 3 and 4th to be the busy weekend.  And the weekend before to be the light weekend.

someone should be in contact with the gap resort to know for sure.

WWW   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #1255 - 08/08/10 at 11:14:48

I can leave my house as early as the 25 th and be back on the 2nd....
lets see what comes about...

Versy you going to make it this year?

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1256 - 08/08/10 at 11:18:38

I would like to, as you say, let's see what comes about.

Planning on a road trip, I have my eye on a trailer and looking for someone to share the cost with.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1257 - 08/08/10 at 12:14:32

Great !!!

Knowing what the dates (Dragon ride) are this far ahead of time , makes planning our BoyScout Camp week a lot easier.

I'm thinking Sportster this time, leaving tuesday and comming back Sunday.

I like thoes little black lines on the map as much as you do OldFeller , but some of that passing on double yellow lines would make the speeding ticket fine seem like pocket change !

That Hwy 80  going down to Marrion was the best part of the ride for me. and there were a lot of Great  parts to choose from.   It could have been the "ready to get off the Parkway traffic" relieif , but man it was good !

I still want to go up to Mt.Mitchel on one of the trips.   Maby while OF takes the "WILD" bunch , ToyMaker and I can take the "LawObiding" bunch out on the parkway and up Mitchel. ?

Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1258 - 08/08/10 at 12:29:21

MMRanch wrote on 08/08/10 at 12:14:32:
That Hwy 80  going down to Marrion was the best part of the ride for me. and there were a lot of Great  parts to choose from.   It could have been the "ready to get off the Parkway traffic" relieif , but man it was good !

I still want to go up to Mt.Mitchel on one of the trips.   Maby while OF takes the "WILD" bunch , ToyMaker and I can take the "LawObiding" bunch out on the parkway and up Mitchel. ?

Cool

My Dad's place is a mile and a half on the other side of Highway 80 from where you got off the Parkway. Thats where I spent my summers growing up and where I learned to ride.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #1259 - 08/08/10 at 14:26:55

Those dates are ok.  However Mrs. Toymaker and I are going to be gone (to St. Lucia) either on June 18-25 or June 22-29.  I am planning on the  18th.  She won the trip in a contest and WE HAVE to go.

MMRanch, I'd love to go up the mountain....also, what about the "Devil's Triangle" as part of the Dragon?

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:18:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.