Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: This Year's Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #1230 - 08/03/10 at 17:27:57

Lancer is here and the bikes are loaded -- he brought his Black Beauty to ride so I get to ride the Silver Surfer so it is Savages fer us all the way.

Dinner was Chinese and we had a nice low key good time.  

Me to work now and everyone else to bed ....

6:00 AM comes very early squirrely and we hit the ROAD TO GO !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1231 - 08/06/10 at 13:32:34

Just made it back Home .    Ready for some more !

I rode by the Dragon on the way home ... saw two state trooper ... and bought my scouts  some Monkey Butt Powder, they all just "Know" I'm making it up.   The plan is to get them all in roll and each one behind the guy in front on him gets to powder his nieghbors behind.
It ought to be a hoot !

I took hwy 72 north of the Dragon , 411 south to hwy 30 and got some more Twisties on the way home, it was a blast !    Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #1232 - 08/06/10 at 15:41:02

Mike I know you took some pictures so I'll be waiting for you to post them. No hurry.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1233 - 08/06/10 at 20:18:33

HAVE AN ALL DAY SCOUT TRAINING FOR TOMORROW / WHEN I CAN .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1234 - 08/07/10 at 03:44:51

We liked the place we stayed at on the second day and would recommend it as a base point for another trip.   It was within easy reach of the Ashville / Boone area as we ran the entire area from it on the second day.

There were no downsides to this entire trip, the weather was cool and beautiful, the 3:00 PM afternoon rain showers were completely predictable (we simply stopped and ate dinner while they did their little shower thing -- the pavement was dry by the time we finished dessert), we had zero mechanical issues, no accidents, no traffic tickets, no traffic issues whatsoever except on the Parkway and that was due to ongoing repair work that was taking place to the tunnels and such up there.   We stayed off the Parkway accordingly.

I had no issues with any cars or buses or trucks or 16 wheelers or Hurleys or sportscars or anything up there at any time, nothing impeded or slowed or irritated me more than momentarily on the entire trip -- it wuz simply wonderful peacefully riding about in the mountains.

And we found roads !!!   Lots and lots and lots of great riding roads !!!

One was the equal or better to the Dragon, especially if they finally get around to paving the last little section of it up at the very tippy top.   In addition to Dragon tight paved curves it has like 10 repeated 360 degree switchbacks going up a really steep mountain side.   Impressive to say the least.

Really good riding roads !!!

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Now, to those of you who said  you were coming and didn't show up, I think you owe MMRanch some money for the cabin reservations he ate because you chickened out on the trip.

('nuff said on that topic)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #1235 - 08/07/10 at 06:09:30

Nice tour of the facilities Kelly. Is that gonna be a replacement for the dragon next year? I would do that. As long as the roads are nice and curvy. Glad to hear that you guys had a good trip with no issues. Those are the best trips.

AL

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #1236 - 08/07/10 at 06:59:38

The bike camp ground we stayed in was a great place.  It  has a communal bath house in the center so it takes a short walk to take care of business but that is the only short coming.  The little cabins are very nice, clean, dry and the foam mattresses are down right comfy.
Lots of space for those who like tents vs cabins.
Streams go by it and a pond righ smack in the middle of it.
JUST BEAUTIFUL !
It is quiet, birds in the trees and just friendly bikers all around.
Ride in any direction for fun roads for any skill level.
It gets my vote from now on.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1237 - 08/07/10 at 07:16:28

Al,

No changes are planned for the Dragon Run, except it may get even a little longer to start on Monday and run through Sunday.  

The first part of the Dragon Run is still a petty good ride, but the second part of it gets all tied up with learner's errors on proper bike maintenance,  mountain road requirements and ride expectations, low rider skills, you name it .... all sorts of common confusions take place during them last few days on the Dragon Run (including some people skinning up their bikes or riding them off into embankments).

The Dragon Run will still be at the Dragon complex and we will run out all through the nice empty "bike riding" areas as before.   Experienced riders earlier in the week, with the "beginner safe" Saturday & Sunday as before.

==================================

This new thing is going to be called the Black Line Run and it will take place approximately "now" in the year and the format and rules will be discussed a bit during the expert section of the Dragon run when we are all there to talk about it.  

Remember, we don't really restrict attendance to the early section of the Dragon Run, we just keep the two sections of it separated in people's minds so the beginners don't show up the first few days and get all "Southpaw'd" about the fast riding speeds.

Think of the expert section of the Dragon Run as the tryouts for the Black Line team -- you do really really good on the Skyway and other Dragon places and show that you REALLY know how to keep your bike in peak riding shape and you may get invited to the Black Line Ride.

===========================

The Black Line Ride has no rules, it has no expectations, it has very skilled riders RIDING SAVAGES ONLY who can deal with whatever comes along and enjoy doing it.  

We find no other make/brand of bike can fit fast mountain riding as completely as the Savage does -- we have never had any other sort of bike be able to keep up with the expert Savage rider group so we are gonna not have any of them with us on the Black Line Ride.

Think of what we were doing on the Skyway that day, some of us passed some of the things that got in our way, some laid back and jest putted along.    The putt-alongs would not fit in with a Black Line ride.

Kel and Big Zuk and you would be examples of candidates for the Black Line Ride from last year's early Dragon Run.   Lancer and MMRanch would be candidates from this last "Parkway" run.   All of you can deal with what comes along when riding "at speed" in the mountains.

Example of Black Line challenges --- riding at speed on a curvy road and lean into a turn then suddenly here is a riding lawnmower throwing bushels worth of fresh cut grass out on the road (some of which flies up and hits you in the face plate).  

Deal with it without going down ....   we all did.

What do you do when the pavement suddenly ends and it's a rough gravel road instead and you are still going fairly fast?    

Deal with it ....   we all did.

Big 16 wheeler slow choking a double yellow twisty road ....  you jest deal with it and pass him in a small straight spot like we all did.

A 20 car line up of soccer moms and old grannys and garbage trucks going 25 mph down the twisty local road (with erratic starting and stopping and turning off all the time) ....

Deal with it, cut it into pieces and pass each piece in turn and go on ....

The Black Line Ride is fast "reality riding" in the high mountains (with all the local traffic thrown in for you to deal with).  We get a county map and we go looking for the tiny black lines that go straight up the sides of the tallest mountains -- and we go ride them -- fast !!

« Last Edit: 08/07/10 at 08:43:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1238 - 08/07/10 at 07:59:37

Historical perspective of the various Rides

2008  Year ONE
We started out "going to ride the Dragon" but our group mountain riding skills were very very low -- we lost Ed on the Parkway when chasing a guy and a long haired blond girl on a big fat Hurley (a stinkin' slow arsed Hurley fer crying out loud and we couldn't even catch up to it).   We never got to the Dragon.   Lancer was the only one of the group who ever caught up to the stinking slow two up Hurley.    
(I'm ashamed of us back when we started out -- we wuz all pitiful)

2009  Year TWO
We made it to the Dragon and rode it up and down and went down the Skyway.  Nobody got hurt but we didn't pass too many Hurleys either.

2010  Year THREE
More Savages got performance modded more this year, and more modded bikes made it up to the Dragon.   We began actively hunting Hurleys and Goldwings and such for fun, blasting past small sportscars and generally going faster and faster and faster.   The Dragon began to get a little tame, actually.   Been there, done that.

2010  First Slow Folks Parkway Run -- a complete bust as none of the women or slow riding folks that the run was built for actually showed up.   So, instead we few experienced riders who were actually there went out hunting for black line roads and suddenly realized we were having a lot of fun because we weren't all worried about killing Southpaw or Ed or Rocketman etc etc etc.   We jest passed what got in the way and simply went on with the ride.  
It was a complete blast and we liked it a lot.

2011  The Black Line Ride for experienced riders only is created as a very specialized ride for the very few who can be trusted to go on it safely.

« Last Edit: 08/07/10 at 09:25:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #1239 - 08/07/10 at 10:34:08

Sign me up...... I will Reserve a weeks worth of vacation time....
I can ether do the dragon or the Black line run...
done the dragon every year for since 06.... time for more chalanges

Kel

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #1240 - 08/07/10 at 10:56:33

sounds great but don't sign me up yet. Thats a little too far off in the futuer for me to commit. I'll probably have to choose one or the other like kel but we'll see. I'm definitely gonna have to make at least one trip next year as the end of the world is coming in 2012.

AL

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1241 - 08/07/10 at 11:02:09

That's right .... the world is ending year after next year so ride like you stole it !!!     Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #1242 - 08/07/10 at 11:43:18

Time to stock up in Beans & Franks, AMMO and some of that home grown Green Tabacy

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #1243 - 08/07/10 at 15:53:03

I guess I am not invited for the "Black Line Ride."

Undecided

Because I can!
  IP Logged
kel30734