Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Re: This Year's Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #1035 - 06/28/10 at 22:20:28

Checking in. Got home around 6PM Monday. Would have gotten home sooner but truck kept slowing down on turns on the interstate.  Wink

I'd still like to know how REX carved his initials in peg scrapes in front of Deal's Gap Parking lot? That Suzuki "S" didn't sit too well with the Hardly crowd!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1036 - 06/29/10 at 04:07:01

Naw, it's just like Zorro -- you just ignore the cape and the mask and the fancy saddle
AND SIMPLY LOOK CLOSELY AT HIS HORSE ....

Lancer can dress in black skid proofs and gloves and put on a black full face with a tinted visor but REX is still REX, side mounted carb with hand built aluminum holder bracket and military green w/military markings on the tank.

Ain't but one of him and Lancer was jest playing some silly Babyhog games with us ....

Speaking of which,        

Babyhog -- where are all your revealing pics of what really went on up there?

(oh my goodness -- the truth will out !!)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1037 - 06/29/10 at 04:13:52

Southpaw,

As the closest to a true flatlander that we had out of the bunch this year, how did the ride seem to you?

Tell us the truth now -- it will help us plan next year's event a little better.  

Remember, we did all the really wild excessive fast riding before you got there, everything you saw was tamed down a good bit except maybe for that first evening when you had just pulled into camp when we were all winding down from a wild ride.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #1038 - 06/29/10 at 06:37:50

I'll keep my eyes open for a traveling type guitar.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #1039 - 06/29/10 at 07:51:07

I'm late checking in, but got home Sunday at 16:00.  I've got some pics I'll try to post later.  I sure do regret I didn't get to meet Oldfeller and Lancer.  Overall a great trip.  See my Cafe post FASSOCOTGAAESAMCITNCMNHGOFUSA.

Motorcycle riders in general, and Savage/S40 riders specifically, are just plain good folks!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #1040 - 06/29/10 at 08:46:24

Oldfeller, I really enjoyed the ride AND the comaraderie! It was a great trip! Those of you that live in the area have a wonderful little playground there! If you'll pardon a ramble, I'll try to answer that honestly for the sake of any newbee that might come along and find themselves in over their heads.
 Looking back with a couple of days perspective, The Dragon is the more unforgiving ride because the consequences of going off the edge are NOT good! That said, you don't have time to dwell on any event more than a couple of seconds before survival instincts kick in and you have to set up for the next curve. Also, visually, you don't have that constant reminder that - D@mn that's a long way down! because the trees behind the curve blend and hide it. I found the Cherohala Skyway much more unnerving for several reasons, the biggest being there's nothing around here to practice or prepare you for it. (Everyone has a "minidragon" somewhere with switchbacks or tight left-right curves but I have NOTHING around here with a looong sweeping decreasing radius curve at an 8% drop in grade where if you miss it wide you fall off a mountain Shocked ) Ok that was the obvious one. The next biggest distraction was trying to figure out spacing on a group ride where I had enough room in front to watch my setup without losing the group when they sped up after they got out of the turn. I realize this was MY problem, not theirs, but I bet I'm not the only one you run into that's not used to riding that close on such a curving road.
 The last suggestion would be to get some photocopies made ahead of time of area maps so us slow folk (that also have poor memories) can find our way home or to the next destination without dropping breadcrumbs like Hansel and Gretel if we get separated! Giving less experienced riders an "out" somewhere if they're comfortable reading a map, would keep from slowing the pack and keep both sides happier. I found Saturday's return ride when Phil and I got ahead at Magees Valley to be great for pictures and exploring because there was so much to see that I missed before and I didn't want to slow the group down anymore than I already did!
 I think the majority of the riders on the trip were there to get as much hard riding in as they could in the little time they had remaining. I recognized that and tried to respect that. Unfortunately, this go round, my riding skills weren't up to the challenge. I appreciated everyone's patience and enjoyed their company, but if I had it to do over again, this old dog might have stayed on the porch for another year and sharpened his skills!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1041 - 06/29/10 at 09:31:22

Well, that's honest feedback ....

We always try to tell folks the truth of what it is like up on the Dragon, but we all tend to bullshit so much I think they discount it strongly as being all "unbelievable" and "all exaggerated" ...  people have wrecks every day up there and people do get killed every summer.

We lost Ed to a wreck in year #1 because of an increasing radius turn on the Blue Ridge Parkway ....  
(he panicked and mashed his rear brake hard)

Southpaw tells us that flatlanders really don't feel comfortable at all playing speed racer up on the Skyway ....  (where sweep speeds get high and the geography gets interesting at times) and even when toned down a bunch they get left behind by the group and aren't really sure how to find their way home.  

Maps of the area are recommended to be given to new riders.

=================================

Southpaw, I was afraid of that and was kinda expecting it, too.  

Natural selection puts the fastest riders up in the front and unless you have a dedicated person like Toymaker to intentionally play sweep man at the end of everyone a long long travel loop like the Skyway will separate the group into 2-3 speed based subgroups fairly quickly and separate them by miles and lots of minutes by the end of it.

I am glad you weren't hurt and here's my bet -- you'll forget all the bad stuff by next year and you'll want to go again as it was a lot of fun (in a terrifying kind of way).

And yeah, when I get home I thank God I didn't get killed doing all the stupid things I did do and I promise I won't go again -- then I do go again anyway.

=============================

Next time I'm carrying the bike in on a truck or a trailer though -- give me an extra day of real riding and a chance to rest some on the way back instead of beating myself to death riding on them tilted concrete slabs.

And you will all notice, that as per my promise the nasty green frog was GONE by the time you woke up Friday morning.

The nasty green frog killed no one, maimed no one -- didn't even skin up a shin or an elbow of any newperson who showed up on the "safe days" of Friday Saturday and Sunday.   Didn't even skeer them any, either.

And, irony of ironies, 'ol Mr. Evil was the only one that kissed the pavement/grass this time
(and he did it on a "safe day" too  Wink )

OK, oh you pinky finger a stickin' in the corner of your mouth, that's 2 fer 3 with you going down while rolling on these here little mountain excursions don't 'cha know it?

Me, I don't go down when rolling (so far anyway) I only roll over stationary bikes when crawing off them with the sidestand not properly locked back & down at them solitary & isolated overlooks, so still, I can't be saying all that very much about any of it, now can I?

« Last Edit: 06/29/10 at 15:02:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #1042 - 06/29/10 at 10:03:52

Oldfeller, just to clear up any doubts, I'm not being critical of ANYONE! I HAD A GREAT TIME!!! I understand I overestimated my skills and felt bad for slowing the group down. The feedback, as stated, was intended as a perspective of someone who was in a little over their heads. THAT WAS MY FAULT, NO ONE ELSES! If it came out blunt or critical I missed my mark entirely! I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to have made this trip. It just showed me, albeit glaringly, where my weaknesses are. (Good information, if you think about it!) It was also intended as a warning to other newbees to take it seriously! If I'd have been smart, I'd have taken Phil's approach.

BTW yes, the "skeered" in the poll was one of three I chose. It was done tongue in cheek along with changing my tag under the picture to "flatlander". If I got offended easily by razzing, I wouldn't have lasted all those years in construction.  Wink As I told Mike, I'm not sure I'd make the trip NEXT year, but maybe in a couple of years when my son starts riding we'll do it again. (He's getting his permit next week!)

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #1043 - 06/29/10 at 11:13:47

Just a couple of pics I uploaded before getting back to the "real world"

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #1044 - 06/29/10 at 16:32:24

Dragon riders, check out these links to find our photos:
http://www.killboy.com/
http://moonshinephoto.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/store.aspx?p=36204

Southpaw, Please don't feel bad about your speed on our rides. As posted before we all end up at the same place, maybe not all at the same time Smiley  You didn't keep anyone from being on a ride, If anyone has reason to feel bad it's me for holding everyone up while I epoxed my leaking tank and replaced the rear tire.

We had a great time and want to thank EVERYONE for putting up with my downtime, and even more for the way everyone made my 17 year old (yamakid) feel like one of the "men".

We all must start somewhere at some speed. I do enjoy the ride, and yes I do like to ride stupid fast at times on roads like the Dragon, please note I have 43 years on 14 bikes, my first ride on the Tail of the Dragon was in the early 70's. I ride/drive this type of road every time I pull out of my driveway with bikes, cars,  and trucks with trailers.

To me, the ride is only part of one of these got to gethers. Just as big a part is the people we get to share it with. Southpaw, you and everyone else that came this year "can share my campfire anytime" Cool

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #1045 - 06/29/10 at 17:03:57

Zuk,  a big thankee to you and your son.

Thanks to you and your son I was able to refine my braking and gas on techniques on mountain roads quite a bit.

(yep, I follered you two for a reason, I was skeered to do late braking and I saw you both doing it, both hard and quite frequently)

After following you two and doing it when you did it, I also learned the "mild power on" in the curve that followed it.

Then I practiced it out on the Skyway .... and it worked for me too.

Lastly, I got a REAL BIG kick outa the Yamakid on his Virago -- he kept up with the very best of us on a bike that should have been over 10 horsepower down to a bone stock Savage.  

He out rode us .... literally

And he had ++ balls and +++ cool when he needed it, put an old man to shame he did.

and I loved every second of it !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #1046 - 06/29/10 at 18:38:03

OF: Thanks for posting the video of the Day 1 wind-down, and thanks to the others for posting their pics, (except the one of the fat chicks-that should be a crime!). I really hate it that I missed TOD '10. I was looking forward to seeing all you guys again. Life deals us some strange cards sometimes. I'd like to think that maybe I'll be able to make it back out that way before the summer's out. I'm glad everyone had a great time, and made it home alive.
Regards,
Darrell Cool

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #1047 - 06/30/10 at 04:02:42

Darrell, you missed a great time. Shoot, I had a great time including my boo-boo.  The Lizard was here yesterday to check out my ailing steed and left after giving me a check for $3200.  I went to Bikebandit and came up with $2200 in parts.  Darned tank is 7 bills.  But I have already found the expensive stuff on EBAY...(Yep BihZuk...your store!)  With just a few parts to go, I still have about 2700 left...maybe Momma is getting her Shadow sooner than later.

My Roadrash still hurts like H3ll and I did bruise a couple of ribs but other than aches and pains, I am ready to go ridin'.

If we are deciding on next year...I vote same place, same time (ish)

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #1048 - 06/30/10 at 04:43:49

The only mistake I made was not getting there soon enough. Me and the Lupus got along just fine because I went to bed early. That was my main concern about a long stay. Next year I will arrive on Wed. Hate I didnt get to ride with you guys. Serenity's Savage developed a alergic reaction to the Dragon. I stayed with him while his bike was fixed, I will never leave another biker stranded. Still got a 150 mi ride in Sat. The Che. Skyway is beautiful. You're a great bunch of guys, its nice to be able to put a face with a fake name LOL

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #1049 - 06/30/10 at 15:41:51

Rember the Chick that was in the room next yall............

she Flashed Killboy

http://killboy.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-06-29T21%3A10%3A00-04%3A0...

Bottom Of the Page

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:21:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.