Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 91
Send Topic Print
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip (Read 17784 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip
11/29/08 at 07:00:18

Let's start us a thread to discuss the next Dragon trip.  Toymaker is up for hosting it and I am going to stop hijacking a RPM limiter thread holding a side conversation talking about it.

Time frame is June-August with some thoughts floated around the 4th of July weekend as most folks have an extended weekend for that one since the 4th of July falls on a Sunday this year.

Last year we did mostly Savages and we realized that folks were having to trailer them up from Florida and such.  Lancer rode his Sportster (he's an old crip like me, lemme tell you we wuz a sight the two of us getting on and off them bikes at the end of a long ride) and I realized that folks riding a long distance might want to ride their open road cruiser simply for comfort reasons.  I have no problem with that, the idea is to get together in person and have some fun, not so much what you find comfortable to ride on for a long distance.

What do you folks think about the idea?  Given enough time we can plan out a decent trip complete with reservations for those who want to sleep in a bed (me !!).

« Last Edit: 02/16/15 at 18:44:46 by verslagen1 »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: 2009 Tail of the Dragon Trip
Reply #1 - 11/29/08 at 08:14:26

The ride is a great idea, but the timing wouldn't work for me. 4th of July weekend is one of the worst times of the year to be on the road. I would be riding down the coast in some of the most congested traffic conditions of the year. May be better for those living in areas without a tourist crowd.

FSO
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #2 - 11/29/08 at 10:37:07

As far as Me...I'm fexible as Gumby...We have the pool and the missus is very understanding.  We'll have and extra bedroom this year...cuz the boy leaves Dec 16 for Great Lakes.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 11/29/08 at 13:29:34

and to quote Gumby's famous words   "Oh no, Mr. Bill !!   Agggh!!"  

<wham!> <crash> <tumble tumble> <ooze .... >

Them that doesn't like the July 4th weekend are hereby charged with coming up with a better date.  It isn't like the NC mountains don't crawl with motorcycles from all over the East Coast all summer long, so you can count on lots of riding company whenever we go.  Hey, blondes on bikes are all part of the scenery, don't cha know it?  

Key thing is to pick a date and start locking down some hotel rooms before they all get filled up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 11/29/08 at 13:47:01

Im going to be there from June 27 till July 4.  Have been in contact with seviersavage to find out where to get a bike to rent.  Now I just have to decide what to get and set that up.  We will be staying in Gatlinburg @ westgate resorts.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/29/08 at 14:23:28

and now we are 3 (mebbe 4 ....)

See, just four and a half hours into planning and we are just about ready to equal and exceed last year's crew.

So, we got a range now of June 27th to July 4th.  Those that hate thick chewy holiday traffic (that's you, photojoe) should speak up now trying to bias it towards the weekend of the 27th so as to cut down on them Fourth of July traffic effects.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 11/29/08 at 14:44:26

As much as I would enjoy riding down to the Carolina's, which I love by the way, I'll have to pass on this run. It's not just "thick, chewy holiday traffic" but more of a mass of lunatic drivers who would just as soon run you off the road without looking back to get to their destination. You would have to live here to understand what I mean. 12 hours riding in that isn't what I consider fun.

I'll hang for the Maryland/Virginia run in the spring before Memorial Day, and the 2nd annual Pa. run in September. For those of you who make this run, enjoy it, ride safe and have a blast!

FSO
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/29/08 at 17:34:50

The 2nd Annual Dragons-tail-a-thon eh ?   Smiley

Sounds like fun; again  ... June through August works for me, but I think my wife will want me to come home at least a couple of times during the summer long  ride.  Perhaps we could swing down through South Carolina every now and then so I can check in at the old homestead, water our horses and such ? ?   Cheesy  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 11/29/08 at 18:37:01

Actually we have worked it down to a couple of days somewhere around June 27 to July 4th, with photojoe now declining because of traffic of all things.

Yeah Joe, there is traffic -- that sluggishly moving stuff we wind in and out of all the time.  Actually, I park my bike about one foot inside the yellow line when I'm riding rear and nobody generally passes a line of bikes unless they pull way over in their lane to give us lots of clearance.  I also do lane blocking during our pass maneuvers so everyone can pass as a group all nice and neat like.

You see, we are a group wearing big ol' dragon tee shirts of all things and by definition we are "dangerous and surly bikers".  They don't mess with us.  

And if they do, why then they are nuts.  Most of our bikes are blatting and whapping like a Harley and some of us look positively nasty mean when seen at 65-70 mph.

And when we cut loose, why we imitate a small swarm of hornets going 80-85 mph and we just pass everybody.

('cept the crotch rocket boys and they are gone by so fast you hardly even get to catch the color of their helmets as they snarl on by)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 11/29/08 at 19:03:04

OH YA some thing just hit me. for those of you that have been there. would it be a good idea to bring the leather??? I know when Im at my dads (Sturgis) you dont want to be out after dark with out it.

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 11/29/08 at 19:24:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/29/08 at 18:37:01:
Actually we have worked it down to a couple of days somewhere around June 27 to July 4th, with photojoe now declining because of traffic of all things.

Yeah Joe, there is traffic -- that sluggishly moving stuff we wind in and out of all the time.  Actually, I park my bike about one foot inside the yellow line when I'm riding rear and nobody generally passes a line of bikes unless they pull way over in their lane to give us lots of clearance.  I also do lane blocking during our pass maneuvers so everyone can pass as a group all nice and neat like.

You see, we are a group wearing big ol' dragon tee shirts of all things and by definition we are "dangerous and surly bikers".  They don't mess with us.  

And if they do, why then they are nuts.  Most of our bikes are blatting and whapping like a Harley and some of us look positively nasty mean when seen at 65-70 mph.

And when we cut loose, why we imitate a small swarm of hornets going 80-85 mph and we just pass everybody.

('cept the crotch rocket boys and they are gone by so fast you hardly even get to catch the color of their helmets as they snarl on by)

Thanks for the lesson and sermon OF. I'll bookmark it, and file it along with the rest of the useless knowledge I'll need when I want to learn how to ride like the old timers. For now, I'll continue to ride every day through urban traffic, and look for advice from the people who ride in the same conditions.

FSO
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #11 - 11/29/08 at 20:21:54

So I guess I'm making shirts again?

I'll get on the design right away. Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/29/08 at 21:37:14

Be sure to add some "useless knowledge" to it, something like a saying or a credo to it to add true insult to the injury of the folks having to read it as we go past them on the road.  

What is our credo, anyway?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 11/29/08 at 21:43:53

whatever it ends up being, don't forget the "virtural" part, i'm sure a few of us can put together a local ride to ride along in spirit.

lot's of pics also please

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 11/29/08 at 22:28:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/29/08 at 21:37:14:
Be sure to add some "useless knowledge" to it, something like a saying or a credo to it to add true insult to the injury of the folks having to read it as we go past them on the road.  

What is our credo, anyway?

It's "Ride it like you stole it"

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 91
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:19:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2009's Tail of the Dragon Trip