Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil leak at the clutch lever (Read 139 times)
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Oil leak at the clutch lever
11/27/08 at 16:17:10

Got home today after a liesurely 100 mile ride and I found a few drops of oil on the cover that appearantly came out from where the clutch arm goes in. I haven't seen this before.I assume there is an o-ring inside there. Could it have gone bad in 4700 miles?

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Re: Oil leak at the clutch lever
Reply #1 - 11/27/08 at 17:04:00

is it possibly coming from above it where the speedo cable goes in? there is an oring there.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 11/27/08 at 18:29:23

4700 miles,  but how old?    

There is an o-ring in there.  If the bike is old with only 4700 miles, then there is a possibility that it got dried out and cracked,  but.......  

Agree with Grease Monkey to first look for another source.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #3 - 11/27/08 at 19:14:26

bike is an '08. The oil definitely did not come from anywhere else, the bike is clean except for that one spot. A drop of oil on the cover and then was able to use a paper towel to clean out the juncture where the arm enters. I have nevere seen any leak here previously. Its is not enough to worry about, just enough to piss you off that is there.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 11/27/08 at 19:47:56

rubber seal at speedo cable fell out @ 4000 mile service..dealer doesnt have them(mechanic in back may have an assortment box)local harware store item..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/27/08 at 21:20:49

Mine leaks there, too. When I went to Rotella-T 15-40 oil it slowed it down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/27/08 at 22:05:17

thumperclone wrote on 11/27/08 at 19:47:56:
rubber seal at speedo cable fell out @ 4000 mile service..dealer doesnt have them(mechanic in back may have an assortment box)local harware store item..

The reason the dealer doesn't have one is because they are not part of the origional equipment,there is no "O" ring shown for the speedo cable, I don't have one on mine,never seen a drop of oil, the "O" ring could be the problem,if you put an o ring there you are preventing the cable from seating itself.
 Mines a 2002, 16000  miles, never had a leak, any where !

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 11/28/08 at 06:02:46

There IS a V-ring from the factory in the speedo cable,where it meets the case.You can only get it with a new speedo cable.Most people,myself included put an O-ring in it.My purple bike leaked like crazy without it.After I put the O-ring in,I found the original seal that I dropped.

Could it be that this is why some people are leaving the site?Don't give out tech advice based on one/your bike.How do you know your's is correct?Obviously there is some kind of seal when 5 different people come up with the same answer.I personally have bought brand new speedo cables,and they DO COME WITH NEW SEAL!You cannot buy it seperate that's why there's no part #.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/28/08 at 13:25:41

Demin wrote on 11/28/08 at 06:02:46:
There IS a V-ring from the factory in the speedo cable,where it meets the case.You can only get it with a new speedo cable.Most people,myself included put an O-ring in it.My purple bike leaked like crazy without it.After I put the O-ring in,I found the original seal that I dropped.

Could it be that this is why some people are leaving the site?Don't give out tech advice based on one/your bike.How do you know your's is correct?Obviously there is some kind of seal when 5 different people come up with the same answer.I personally have bought brand new speedo cables,and they DO COME WITH NEW SEAL!You cannot buy it seperate that's why there's no part #.

To say people are leaving the site because of different ideas is rediculoius.
The advice is not based on my bike alone,it is based on the exploded view diagram I saw on the dealers computor, and a mechanic who was standing there with him at the time.
The fact that mine doesen't leak,and has no "O" ring , seems to back up that info.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 11/28/08 at 14:31:18

Well,you're wrong!Go buy a cable,and see.
It's funny how it's mostly mechanical guys that help have not posted.Not saying it's just this.But I'm sure in part,you seem to know more than the mechanics on here,and there have been a couple on here that know these bikes inside,and out that don't post anymore.I don't have my camera or my parts close right now or I would take a pic,and show you exactly what it looks like.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/28/08 at 15:43:11

troglobil wrote on 11/27/08 at 16:17:10:
Got home today after a liesurely 100 mile ride and I found a few drops of oil on the cover that appearantly came out from where the clutch arm goes in. I haven't seen this before.I assume there is an o-ring inside there. Could it have gone bad in 4700 miles?

Yes, there is an o-ring on that shaft that goes through the case.  Yes, it can leak (mine does on occasion, and I will fix it the next time I pull the clutch cover).
Odd it would leak so early on a 2008, but not impossible.

Part #27
O RING (D:1.9,ID:6.8)  09280-07004

Part #27
O RING (D:1.9,ID:6.8)  09280-07004

« Last Edit: 11/29/08 at 02:32:29 by youzguyz »  

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/28/08 at 15:49:44

There's supposed to be a seal there and no it's not available as a sepparate item.

Do a search and you'll find we've talked about this last year.

WWW   IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #12 - 11/29/08 at 08:31:15

went for a short ride about 30 miles yesterday and no leak. Hmmm?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/29/08 at 14:05:46

Harbor Freight sells a fairly extensive "O" ring kit (you can get it in either neoprene black or Viton hi-temperature red) that is the cat's meow for miscellaneous little issues like this.   I bought mine on sale for $6.99 now I don't have to sweat much of anything concerning small "O" rings -- I got one.

And yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus -- and he wears a factory installed "H" ring on his speedo cable too.   An "O" ring will work though, many of us have had to go get one when the stock "H" ring jumped off and went and hid somewhere under the battery box.

Ho Ho Ho!   Merry Christmas!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/29/08 at 15:36:01

troglobil wrote on 11/29/08 at 08:31:15:
went for a short ride about 30 miles yesterday and no leak. Hmmm?

Just like mine.  Sometimes it leaks, sometimes not.  Haven't figured why or why not.  
I need to get me one of them o-ring kits.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:18:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak at the clutch lever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.