Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie needing advice (Read 144 times)
EZ
Ex Member

newbie needing advice
11/26/08 at 17:24:10

i am new to motorcycles in general, and i bought my savage and got my liscense within the past 3 months so excuse any "rookie" mistakes i will most definitely make. i am looking for drag bars and risers and have absolutely no idea where to start looking or what to look for. how tall of riser? what style of drag bars? anything would help and if i do make any stupid mistakes please call me out on them so i can know!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: newbie needing advice
Reply #1 - 11/26/08 at 17:52:25

Howdy EZ, welcome,
Drag bars,...Yep, I did that too....
You want 1" bars, 28" or longer, any shorter will make for heavy steering.  4" risers so the bars will clear the tank.  If you want them lower, you need straight bars, they can be a bit of a strain on your wrists on longer rides.
Try E-bay,..Bars should be $25.00 or $30.00...Risers, $30.00 +...
If you're on a budget, and like rigging stuff, you can fashion your own risers from a pair of deep well 19mm sockets or bmx bicycle footpegs ($10.00), then but longer bolts to fit and presto.  I did the bmx ones on mine...
Two riding tips,..Use the front brake, it does most of the stopping,..
Learn to countersteer,that's pushing he handlebar to steer instead of leaning...
Here's a pic,...good luck
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/26/08 at 18:05:07

Hey EZ, welcome to the club.
1st rookie mistake, we can't read minds, so tell us about yourself and what do you want.
Luckily, if you haven't mod'd your bike, there's only 2 config's, buckhorns and drags.
are you cramped or just like the look of drags?
the risers are about 6" high and the drags are flat, so you could go out and get some 6 to 8" rise mini apes and be happy.
how big are your shoulders?
one problem with the drags are they are narrow for a big guy and all you're gonna see in your mirrors are your elbows.  I'm not a huge guy but 6' 240# and shoulders to match.
30" wide bars are good for me with either the stock mirrors or some long stem aftermarket

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 11/26/08 at 20:30:01

Here is a pic of the factory setup on my '86.Like Verslagen said go with a 30" bar.Since you already have buckhorns your cables will be long enough to go with a wider bar.Stock bars are 28"(I think).All I see in my mirrors are my arms.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Skreature
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/27/08 at 05:54:51

I was thinking about getting a dragbar on my savage also, but i totally had no idea on how to mount it. The bmx footpegs solution is really handy also, thanks!

Btw, i got my sav for 1 year now, but got my license just 1,5 month ago. Its in really bad condition, its kinda rusty and the alu is oxidated. Working really hard on it now, trying to get a custom look, and restoring the paint. Gonna get it painted this winter, and i also want to install a new bar, and maybe some other upgrades, the problem is that i dont have any idea what might be nice, and how to make a achieve a more custom look. Maybe some of you might be able to give me a little advice.

Btw, nice ride serowbot

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 11/27/08 at 07:45:19

Here are a couple of styles to kick around for a custom  look.Also check out Sluggo's,and Strangeling67's bikes.There are others on here too with customs,just can't think who right off.There are also a couple of guys that went bagger style too.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/27/08 at 15:48:26

My savage had straight trail bars, but as I am short and smaller in the Arm, I found that the clutch was butchering my thumb.

I was using the muscles that close the thumb to the fingers (hand Flat) as opposed to the "opposing muscles" (sic) that give you a grip as you make a fist.

I changed my risers and bars to Highway Hawk 1" pull backs, they are wider than the buck horns and I can see past my shoulders with the mirrors.

Makes Filtering harder though!

Now you are confused, try sitting on the bike with your eyes closed and put your hands where you feel comfortable, then look at the location, that is where your grips want to end up, find bars to suit and ride the machine (stop looking at it)  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:21:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › newbie needing advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.