Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve Adjustment/ Cam Chain (Read 67 times)
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve Adjustment/ Cam Chain
11/24/08 at 10:55:18

The more and more i read about our savages on the forum the more i see people saying adjust your valves and check the cam chain. so i was wondering before i did anything that i did not need to. how do you know if you need the valves adjusted? and how do you know if you need to replace your cam chain? i have an 87 savage with 15000 miles

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Valve Adjustment/ Cam Chain
Reply #1 - 11/24/08 at 11:20:07

If you went by the book, you need to check/adjust the valves everytime you change the oil.
According to the dealer, it is acceptable to audiblely check the adjustment  Roll Eyes
At 15k, you should check your cam chain.  See tech section for instructions.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/24/08 at 11:26:26

thanks. is there anything else i should check with 15000 miles i bought the bike about a month ago with about 400 miles less

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/24/08 at 11:42:48

Check the condition of the tires, no age cracks.
check the tightness of every bolt and screw, something you should do with every oil change.
check the belt for wear and age cracks, not as dangerous as tires, but why be stranded out on the road.  you bought a savage, not a harley.
check your filters and fluids.
check the wiring around the headlight for wear.  lot of shorts happen here.
check the torque on the front pulley, if left loose, it can develop enough play to finaly eat the splines off the pulley.
These checks are tedious the 1st time, but worth doing on a regular basis.
What color is your brake fluid?  anything more than a light tint, and I'd replace it.  Takes a lot less then a pt.  With a little practice, easily done solo.
lube your cables.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 11/24/08 at 11:46:40

il67bp wrote on 11/24/08 at 11:26:26:
thanks. is there anything else i should check with 15000 miles i bought the bike about a month ago with about 400 miles less

I have 16000 on my 02, last week I took the head off to have a look see,every thing looked fine,I'm glad about that because exhaust valves are $120 a piece,I replaced my cam chain tensioner with the Verslagen model ,he makes a superb job of them ,and there is no way it can seperate,with your milage ,probably a good thing to replace.
I check the valve clearence every month or so on mine ,and I have never had to adjust them,I was amazed when I took the head cover off ,the cam shaft and lifters diden't seem to have any wear on them at all ????? could it be because I change my oil every 500 miles ?
or the oil it self ? I use "Castrol Actevo" 10W-40. I don't know for sure.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/24/08 at 11:48:06

alright thanks alot. When checking the belt am i looking for the same things i would be looking for when checking the belt in a car?

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/24/08 at 12:51:23

il67bp wrote on 11/24/08 at 11:48:06:
alright thanks alot. When checking the belt am i looking for the same things i would be looking for when checking the belt in a car?

More or less, just check the teeth for signs of wear,check on how much adjustment you have left, correct adjustment is when you can twist the belt with two fingers a little less than half way.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjustment/ Cam Chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.