Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD  VS. Suzuki S40/Savage (Read 570 times)
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD  VS. Suzuki S40/Savage
11/23/08 at 19:51:12

Greetings: Smiley   First off, I mean no disrespect to this forum (I've been reading it for about a month or so and think its great!!), but I am thinking about one of these two bikes.  I thought I had my mind set on the S40, but after reading some reviews on the Vulcan 500, I'm not so sure now.  I haven't ridden in a couple of years.  I started off with a Kawasaki Concours (too big) and ended up with a Honda Silverwing Scooter (600)(sold 2 years ago).
I went to one of the local dealers here in North/South Carolina and sat on both (2009).   Both seemed very nice size/weight/price etc.  Haven't test riden yet (too cold), but wanted some opinions on these two bikes.  Hopefully someone may have owned both and could comment.
Here is my intended use for either bike:  Around town short rides with little highway (unless I want to do some camping, etc).  I am concerned with the hot weather with the S40 air-cooled engine vs the Vulcans' 500 water cooled.  Weight on the Vulcan seemed to be right at the limit of what I want.  The S40 seemed like it could really be great as far as flickability!   Power should be about the same (I think).  The other factor is the Vulcan has a chain that would need to be lubed every 1/2000 miles, (not a big deal I guess).  The Vulcan, not as simple as the S40.  I do understand that there is about a 1000 price difference between them.
Any comments would really be appreciated!! Grin
Thanks
Kevin

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Re: Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD  VS. Suzuki S40/Savage
Reply #1 - 11/23/08 at 20:16:59

I got my 2008 S40 in July this year.  I called every dealer within 200 miles to find one.  There was only ONE to be found in Post Falls Idaho.  That was 135 miles away.  Once I found it, I was there the next day.  In calling around, several dealers had Vulcan 500's that they wanted to sell me.  They were available most everywhere.  I stopped by my local dealer a couple weeks ago and I'm sure he has the SAME one on his floor that was sitting there last summer.  They just don't sell.  They look good in the catalog and not bad up close, but I like the simplicity, and lighter weight of the S40 and don't need a radiator on a 500cc machine.  I have over 1000 miles on the S40 now and like it fine.  Runs perfectly in STOCK form and handles well.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/23/08 at 20:20:06

My choice was between the Savage and Vulcan 500 after I decided to step up from my Rebel 250. I obviously went the Savage route for all the reason you mentioned above. I haven't ridden a Vulcan but I have sat on one and it seemed huge to me. It was uncomfortable in my opinion and seemed heavier. The dual carbs didn't tickle my fancy. The chain didn't either. Plus the Savage has the benefit of being a simpler one cylinder. I may have read ONE report of overheating on a Savage/S40. It's a pretty solid design thats been around for a long time and they never decided to liquid cool it. Seems like liquid cooling is just one more thing to keep an eye on and fix when it inevitably breaks. If you've been reading you'll know there's some things you're going to want to do if you get a savage. If you're buying new you'll need a rejet. After 10k mi or so you'll want to have a look at your cam chain tensioner. One great thing about this bike is it seem almost infinately maleable. People have used Savages as platforms for rat/bobbers, tricked out choppers, errand runners, tourers...you name it someone here or in Germany has probably done it.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 11/23/08 at 21:41:28

I have a 2008 s40 also. The design hasn't changed significantly since its inception and even the 80's vintages bi
kes are still being ridden. That tells me you will be hard pressed to find a more solid or reliable bike. My 1st season with the S40 has give me 7500 km of trouble free riding around Calgary and area. I would have no 2nd thoughts at all about going for a week outing on the HIway with it. Finding time would be the issue.

I have no experience or any info on the Kawi. so I can't offer a comparison. I just know the S40 is a solid choice.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/24/08 at 03:25:25

I don't own the Kawa, I own the Yamaha competitor, the XV535.  Weight and power are somewhat equivalent between the two, so these comments may well apply.

The Savage is light, handy, flickable and a plain joy to ride around town.  The 500cc twins have less displacement but more weight, and yet they clearly out-power the Savage at all points and gears.  To do this out-powering they rev more, but compared to what they can rev they can easily outpower the Savage even at their partial throttle conditions as well.  They are "bigger bikes" than the Savage in every functional category (including weight and handling).

You do realize a Kawa 250 Ninja both out weighs and out powers a Savage, right?  You gotta rev it to the moon to do so, but it can.

Now to the realities of the situation -- you don't need the extra power for any legal speed limit anywhere.   And if you are hunting some real power in the light weight class we are talking about, why then for heaven's sakes go get yourself an SV650!!

Then, once you blow past 123 mph inside the exit merge lane of the interstate a few time and realize the bike can cut a corner far further than you will EVER be able to ride being an old fart and all, then you can sell it come springtime, keep the 500cc twin as your cruising bike and then ride the Savage everywhere.

Then you can have the "been there done that" lightweight street class T shirt.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 11/24/08 at 05:03:15

After you've sat in rush-hour traffic for 45 minutes, slowli idling your way uphill, you learn to appreciate liquid cooling.....

That said, both bikes are great lightweight cruisers.  Both have equal strengths and weakenesses.  The answer to which bike is better depends on your opinion of the importance of those weaknesses.

Bar none, ths Savage is a simple machine.  With the exception of the CDI ignition, the rest of the operation is mechanical.  The benefit being, long term durability, but periodic maintenance and adjustment are necessary.

The Vulcan 500 is a bit heavier (not much) but it runs much more smoothly than the Savage (thanks to off-setting dual pistons).  Both the Savage and the Vulcan are freeway capable, but the Savage tends to vibrate (alot) over 60mph.

The Vulcan and the Savage deliver similar fuel economy (55-60mpg) but the Vulcan has a 4 gallon fuel tank.  The Savage has just a 2.9 gallon tank.  You can ride farther per fill-up on the Vulcan.

The stock setup on the Vulcan is more comfortable for bigger riders than it is on the Savage.  The seat is larger, wider and better upholstered.

BUT the Savage wins hands down in it's ease of maintenenace and operation.

The Vulcan has 2 carbs to worry about, the Savage has one.  The Vulcan has 4 banks of valves to check, the Savage just 2.  The Vulcan is much harder to tune when you start adding aftermarket parts (such as an exhaust or even a performance air-filter)

To be honest, it is a tough question.  Both bikes are great!  Both bikes offer rock solid reliability and can do anything a bigger bike can.

My advice is to shop around.  If you can find either bike in your price range, you can't make a wrong choice.

Good luck!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 11/24/08 at 05:25:32

This thread seems like deja vu. Seems like this comparison has been made before.

In any case, both of these small cruisers are nice motorcycles. The Vulcan has quite a bit more horsepower, but that comes with a lot of complexity. I wouldn't want to ride any cruiser a long way, but that is my preference for a sportier riding position. If you want a lightweight cruiser either is a good choice. As far as gas mileage, my wife's vulcan gets a lot better gas mileage no matter who rides it. I got 52 mpg in all conditions with my Savage, when I ride her vulcan under the same conditions, I get close to 70 mpg. The Savage started better in cold weather and has more torque so I think it is more forgiving for a new rider, and every pound of weight makes a diffference. Both my wife and I had a choice of either a Savage, or a Vulcan when we first started riding, I chose the Savage, she chose the Vulcan. She still has her Vulcan. I probably ride about 10 times more miles per year than her (20K plus or minus) and I change over a few years ago to a Concours. The Vulcan makes a reasonable companion for the Concours on the road, the savage really worked to ride at interstate speeds, but the Vulcan can keep up at cruising speeds. The Vulcan hits reserve about the time that I would start looking for a gas station in any case.

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/24/08 at 07:53:24

Get the Kawasaki, Its bullet proof !
It has a detuned version of the Ninja 500 motor, you will have zero probs with this motor, as we all know the Savage will start leaking oil. easy fix, and the timing chain prob, you will have non of this with the V-500.

I love all bikes, they all have good-bad points, but if you want as close to 100% reliability get the Kawasaki....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD  VS. Suzuki S40/S
Reply #8 - 11/24/08 at 08:03:04

I wouldn't worry too much about overheating...I'm in Tucson Az. and have not had any problems in 3 years and 15k miles...I give out from the heat before the bike does,...it never does...valves get a little chatty in 100+ degree city traffic, but not bad.  
The Vulcan will have more muscle though if that's what you need.  It's actually a de-tuned 500 Ninja motor in there.  Footpegs on the Vulcan are a bit more under you,(could be cramped if you're big, or an advantage if you're short)
Savage wins hands down in the styling department.
Ride Safe

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/24/08 at 08:08:17

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 11/24/08 at 09:35:27

Kevininsc wrote on 11/23/08 at 19:51:12:
...intended use for either bike:  Around town short rides with little highway (unless I want to do some camping, etc).  I am concerned with the hot weather with the S40 air-cooled engine vs the Vulcans' 500 water cooled.  Weight on the Vulcan seemed to be right at the limit of what I want.....

You didn't mention your size.  I'm 5'9".  The Savage is 4.5" shorter between the axles and 90 pounds lighter.  Back when they were allowed in California I sat on a Vulcan 500 and it was noticibly larger, a hair larger and heavier than I was comfortable with tho' I probably would have gotten used to it.  But why should I have to "get used to" when the Savage fits me perfectly?  But that's me.

The Kaw has two cylinders, higher compression, revs higher, a six speed trans, and a far greater top speed, DUH!!  My Savage will run up to 75 faster than the vast majority of cages, will hit 85 a bit easier than I need, can get me a speeding ticket anywhere in the U.S.  I don't need to be able to do 100, 120, 160 or whatever mph.  I ride city and I DO need to get to speed asap.  0 to 35 or 40 mph is what I use.  Given that torque is what accelerate you, given that with all other factors equal a single gives the greatest torque, I'll believe a stock 500cc twin will beat me to 40 mph when one does.

Little highway?  Pffft -- not a problem!   I did Los Angeles to Holbrook AZ, 570 miles, about 12 hours with stops, neither I nor the bike were tired.  Next evening, in Amarillo TX, the bike was still fresh as a daisy, but I was beginning to feel the strain.

Cooling?  Lots of Savages in the SouthWest deserts.  Again not a problem unless you want to sit idling in stop and stop and inch foreward traffic -- I don't do that!  Personally I rather not have corrosive liquids in or around my bike, and I don't need the added complexity of liquid coolling.  May be forced into it eventuallty as they can tune to tighter smog specs with liquid cooling as the temperature can remain in a much smaller range.

Bottom line:  Either bike will do what you ask.  Both are good.  What matters is how comfortable you are on the bike.  Any attention you give to the bike is taken away from attention given to the environment -- and a lapse of attention to what is happening around you can be fatal.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/24/08 at 09:43:27

price wise, and do it yourself wise, the suzi wins hands down. But as others have mentioned, if you are not suzi size  (too tall) then the vulcan would be best. Just about anything can be done on the suzi with a bit of work and it is rewarding as well. Especially because of the joy of moding your bike and that you dont have to dig deep into your pockets and pay a stealership to do the work. I think that the do it yourself factor of the suzi is a great way to get into biking and moding.  I have considered buying a sportser, and a victory kingpin (for long trips). Emotionally I am just not ready to part with suzi, and surprisingly neither is my girlfriends big ol', sexy apple bottom.  Cool

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/24/08 at 11:47:56

Savage all the way. Not even close.
The vulcan 500 will have to be revved ... it thinks its a sport bike and doesn't make torque ... it just makes revs.
The savage/s40 will surprise you with the power and torque, its a ultra light weight that hauls ass inspite of being low in power on paper. The extra heft of the vulcan is just about compensated by its extra power up high ... but not quite.
The belt drive of the old 500 was sooooo much better. But that's kawasaki for you, they take a good product and crappify it ... that's their design methodology.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/24/08 at 15:57:19

I prefer riding the Savage (personal taste) but I'm not deluded as to how it performs versus the 500cc twins.  Yeah, they rev more but the twins outperform the Savage clearly in all 5 gears.  Places where I hit 40-55 on the Savage I can hit 60-70 on the 500cc twin in the exact same limited distance.

Torque is nice and that's how the Savage works.   Hp is nice and that is how the twins work.  Both haul you about, but the twins have more than enough hp advantage to make up the difference in torque.

The Savage thumps hard enough to shake the gas tank in its rubber tank mounts in perfect time to the thumps.  The twins buzz and wind up howling up high in the rpm range.  Each different configuration of bike has a separate character.

An equal bore to stroke 90 degree twin has perfect primary balance (that's the SV650 I'm talking about) and it DOES NOT VIBRATE as it accelerates in any noticeable fashion.  They liken the SV650's throttle to a rheostat on an electric motor and if it wasn't for the rush of the pipe sounds that would be true enough.  Sexy smmoooothhh ... then you hit 8,000 rpm and the beast wakes up and snarls at you.

All bikes have different characters.  Like your scoot for what it is, don't worry that it isn't something else.  That's silly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/24/08 at 16:41:39

The lines/angle combined with  the unik engine are what i like by the savage. It's like the cat: "It's own" Smiley The Kawa looks exactly like the cheap, rusty chinese 150/250 cc popping around here in Denmark. No doubt: It's a better bike than the Chinese, but who cares if i looks like one  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 18:13:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD  VS. Suzuki S40/Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.