Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for it? (Read 247 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for i
Reply #15 - 09/22/15 at 07:05:15

Slotting the mounting plate on the sensor gave a "hard" unadjustable 2 degree advance on the ignition. With the low compression engine I have never noticed any knock when the engine is hot. It's proven better than nothing but.....
  Got the idea from when I built go-kart engines using the Briggs 5hp. A common trick was to use offset flywheel keys to kick up the timing, some builders also slotted the mounting holes for the ignition coils.
  Setting up an adjustable advance is a whole other ball game, the ignition isn't like the point type where it was possible to respring the weights and change the advance curve. Now it is all electronic controlled which is why a schematic of the ignition module would be so helpful. Even then you would still need to figure out which components to change to get a custom advance.
 I've found that low compression engines like the big single don't do well with a lot of spark advance over the factory settings, a little goes a long way.  Change the advance curve should help in the midrange torque while the "hard" advance on my engine seems to help overall.
 Just for sh!ts and giggles I'll see if I can track down a schematic of the ignition module, it would be a nice piece of reference material to have on the site. Officially retired and have plenty of time on my hands. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for i
Reply #16 - 09/22/15 at 07:52:59

I'd wanna know what I currently had before I went off and made changes.
You'll need to make a timing wheel that can replace the stator bolt so you can use a timing light.  Then I'd map out the advance vs. rpm.

The brain box is a little sensitive and expensive to replace so I'd want to replace the whole system so you know for sure it'll work together.

Advancing the timing like Ed did by 2° does not give me any worries at all.
This is not a high performance engine nor is it tuned any where near it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition advance....does the cdi provide for it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.