Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil Price Up, Not Down (Read 209 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Oil Price Up, Not Down
Reply #15 - 11/23/08 at 05:44:08

According to my Clymer, the head cover can be removed on SOME, but not ALL, bikes without removing the engine. According to them it depends on the tolerances of the frame as built. They perhaps did not know about the procedure of removing almost all of the engine mount bolts and allowing the engine to tilt forward. They also say the engine must be removed from the frame in order to remove the head, although head removal isn't necessary to repair that particular leak. Looks to me as if that would involve a significant part of the engine removal labor.

Dealerships around here post labor rates of about $65 per hour. The dealership is going to quote the "flat rate" labor from the shop manual when he makes up your estimate. Giving him credit for knowing how to read the manual, 5.5 hours at $65 is $357.50. If shop rates run higher in your area, as they likely do, the price goes up. He will then add the price for whatever gaskets are needed, and whatever hardware the book may say to replace instead of reuse. There will undoubtedly be some charge for "shop materials" such as rags, degreasers, gasket seal, and so on. While $600 seems high, especially for a 12-year-old bike that only cost you $2000, he can probably justify his estimate. Remember his labor and parts cost are not related to the age or cost of your machine.

People on this forum, and others, persist in referring to "stealerships." I suggest a little research into the costs of running a motorcycle dealership before the blanket condemnations. Those motorcycles, and ATVs, and personal watercraft, the helmets and jackets and accessories, the parts in inventory, are costing him money. The building in which he operates costs him money. Keeping the lights on and the air conditioner/heater working costs him money. The people in the building cost him money. The only way he can make that money is to charge for his services. I am not trying to defend all dealerships, but there is more to running a business than meets the eye.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
fawman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/23/08 at 09:37:55

Thanks to all for experiences, insights, and suggestions.  Once I pick up some additional tools and the recommended parts, I'll give it a go over the holidays.

Didn't mean to dis dealerships/repair shops; I'm a bike newbie, and am trying to learn the difference between reasonable and ripoff.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/23/08 at 11:14:37

Bear wrote on 11/22/08 at 20:07:04:
You do not need to remove the big nut cover that is at the end of the crank to find TDC.  Chances are that you will bugger up the slot in the nut cover.

The chances are that you'll bugger something up then how do ever get any work done?  Get over it.  Cheaper to booger up something and replace it, then to depend upon the dealer for everything.

Tip: A used front brake pad fits nicely into the timing port slot.  And is strong enough to put a wrench on and twist with all your might.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Price Up, Not Down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.