Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb problems??? (Read 173 times)
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Carb problems???
11/20/08 at 14:04:29

On any given day (it varies greatly), i could be riding to work which is about a mile to the highway, then 10 miles on the highway, then another mile off the highway, and once i get off the highway and hit a red light my bike will die. could this be a jet problem, too lean of a mixture, or does my bike just hate being cold?

she dies if i'm in neutral without throttle. if i add some throttle, she's fine.

any ideas?

i'd like to continue to ride during the winter months, but if i can't get this figured out i doubt i'll be able to.

thanks

Pip Jones

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Carb problems???
Reply #1 - 11/20/08 at 14:08:32

might richen it just a touch and idle it up a bit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/20/08 at 14:10:21

raise your idle a bit,...it's better for oil circulation too.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/21/08 at 13:15:29

I just had my carb cleaned and a maintenance done after my bike sat for like 6 months.  It ran great until the cold hit here in VA (40's haha).  My bike is having the same issues upon start up.  It will usually start fine with the choke out but if I dont keep on the throttle for like 5 minutes it will die and then its hard to start back up?  Do I need to raise the idle and richen the mixture cuz of the cold air?  And how do I do both of those, I'm sort of a newbie and this bike is 100% stock-1998  TIA

matt

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/21/08 at 13:43:28

idle mixture on right side of carb,Idle speed on left side

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/21/08 at 13:56:50

ok so i get that i have to drill out the brass plug on the right side of the carb to adjust the idle mix and counterclockwise on the screw makes the fuel mix richer (what I want since its in the 40's/50's here now.  But which way do I turn the idle speed screw on the left side of the carb to make the idle speed increase to keep the engine from stalling when I let off the throttle?  I'm not in front of my bike now so I'd like to get an idea before I go twisting screws on the carb!  TIA

-matt

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/21/08 at 14:50:50

Clockwise on the idle speed is up...you'll hear it...no screwdriver needed, just fingers...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 11/24/08 at 11:07:11

I'm happy to report that about a 1/2 to 2/3 CCW turn on the air mixture screw has helped my bike run better/stay started and idle here in the colder temps.  I also turned up the idle to approx. 1200 rpm and it seems to help it get warmer quicker and stay running at stoplights and during warmup.  The only thing I have noticed is that I get a backfire upon shutdown.  While this doesnt bother me in the least bit haha, I'm guessing that its a result of it running too rich?  Should I turn the air mix screw CW a touch to counteract the backfiring or just live with it during the colder months?  Thanks and u guys have been a HUGE help over the last few weeks.  40's/50's is def. not cold enough to stop me from riding Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/24/08 at 11:13:52

Are the rpms peaked with the idle mixture adjustment?

To me it sounds like you're still a little lean.

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/24/08 at 11:17:05

not sure how to tell if my rpms are peaked with the mix adjustment?  How do I get both in sync?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/24/08 at 11:28:31

You should be able to hear the engine run up or down a little as you twist the idle mixture/pilot screw.  It's slight but discernable.

Do you know how manys turns out you are?
You should know it for future reference and to be shure that darn thing doesn't fall out on the road.  Turn it in till it seats lightly, not hard some have gotten it stuck down there.  3 turns out is the maximum reliable amount to keep the screw engaged with the spring/oring that holds it in there.

once you have the peak, then a little richer should keep it from popping on shut down.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/24/08 at 11:34:43

no I have no idea how many turns out it is right now!  I actually just figured out this was the process I needed to do to keep it running well in the cold temps, as this is my first bike!

So should I screw it all the way in, start the bike and continue making turns out until the rpms start to go back down?  then turn it out a tad more to richen it up and stop the back firing?  Or would a full turn out from it being all the way screwed in be a better starting point?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/24/08 at 11:50:26

oops left out a step, count the number of turns in and then turn it back out to the same position.

I think the recommended starting point is 1 and half out.

really, the need to know turns out is so that you can check it in the future or know it it's getting far enough out to need a larger jet.

Another reason is, if you have a drastic change the carb may need cleaning.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 11/24/08 at 11:58:26

I'll have to figure out where exactly that screw is and how many turns out it is right now.  And then tune it from 1.5 turns out.  I like where my idle is set at now so all I need to do now is mess w/ the air mix screw.

It did turn CCW pretty easily making me think there wasnt alot of tension on it holding it in.  What would keep it from just vibrating and working itself loose and eventually fall out?

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/25/08 at 12:22:56

well im back to square one.  I'm at about 2 1/2 turns out on the air mix screw and the rpms are at about 1200 and she starts fine with the choke out and stays running for the 15 or so seconds the choke is out.  Once I then push the choke back in all the way she runs for about 15 more seconds and then slowly dies and eventually shuts off after like 10 seconds.  Its kinda hard to start it back up after this happens and if I stay on the throttle for a while it keeps running but thats a pain!!!  One more thing is when I rev it close to WOT in neutral or 1st, doesnt matter, while I'm waiting for it to warm up it seems to pop at the higher rpm's?? --mid to upper 40's air temp by the way!

WHAT THE HELL GIVES???  TIA,

-Matt

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:15:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb problems???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.