Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mike's and Justin's Trike Q&A Thread.. (Read 272 times)
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Mike's and Justin's Trike Q&A Thread..
11/20/08 at 09:02:12

Well Justin has shown an interest in also building a Trike and wants a little help with it, heck toss your thoughts out and I may learn something..

First, yes it will turn like a log with a solid rear axle in tight areas like a parking lot, but out on the open road its ok.
A rear axle with a diff is WONDERFULL........... but $$$$$$$$$$

I cant stand Trikes built from VW's or front wheel drive cars with the motor in the back........... they may have 3 wheels but not a Trike in my eyes.

A real Trike is nothing more than a motorcycle with 2 rear wheels, still has all the controls as a motorcycle it just wont lean, perfect for people with disabilities or people that have a hard time holding a motorcycle up.

One prob with a Trike is high speed turns, in slow speed in a parking lot you have to really turn it hard and sharp to lift a rear wheel, but with brakes applied and sharp turn it will happen, fast turns if taking to sharp can and will lift a rear wheel and TRUST ME it will make your heart miss a beat or two !

All in all a Trike is a pleasure to ride, you dont have to worry about dropping the bike or proper counter steering technique, you just ride and enjoy the wind...

Now for the rest of the story. Please ask away or toss in your opinion.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Mike's and Justin's Trike Q&A Thread..
Reply #1 - 11/20/08 at 09:30:47

I am thinking that considering the relatively low power that a couple of one way clutches would be worth looking at. My wife wont be gunning it off the line or running hard, so it might work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 11/20/08 at 09:34:51

It's pretty tough to set up the trike so that the bike can lean inside the rear axle isnt it?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/20/08 at 09:57:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/20/08 at 09:30:47:
I am thinking that considering the relatively low power that a couple of one way clutches would be worth looking at. My wife wont be gunning it off the line or running hard, so it might work.

The prob with that is the way the oneway releases so to let the inside wheel slip is the same way the chain will drive it, so it wont be able to move...

Bobbert' to have it lean freely on a rear axle could be dont by having a rear axle setup with a good strong axle tube and have the swingarm come in and hook to it in the very center with a pivot, the swingarm would allow up/down movement and the center pivot would allow the lean, and it "should" stay up at a stop...

I built my last axle to have a diff, it worked like a charm, BUT the thing was heavy heavy, no prob on a 120hp bike but would be on a 30hp Savage !
For $3500 you can get a 90 pound all Alum Trike axle called Frankenstein...
Or be like me and use a light and simple ATV axle for cheap and just deal with the odd tight turning...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/20/08 at 10:00:49

Wuhh? With 2 one ways only the outside wheel would over run the axle, OR, my mental picture is an abstraction/hallucination.

Or be like me and use a light and simple ATV axle for cheap and just deal with the odd tight turning...
Looks like a good start, I'm gonna have to llok around & see what I can find.
It seems to me that a pivot allowing some lean but going to to an axle that isnt solid mounted to the frame, then wouldnt it be hard to keep it standing up under way? The way I am thinking, the wheels on the bike need to be solid mounted to the frame, so that the frame & wheels lean together thru some mechanism. The ones Ive seen that have the front wheels lean are connected thru the steering arent they?I mean, they will lean only when the bars are turned & then only as much lean as would be proportionally "right" for any given amount of handlebar turn? I dont know, but where you are headed might need some work. Maybe the front wheel would be enough to keep the bike upright. I am sure there will be some well researched responses & Ill be getting an education on this.

Heres why I think the rear wheel needs to be somehow regulated in its lean.
The way I see riding is that its a constant correction of a constant fall. Whether we feel it or are aware of it, we are gently movong side to side, just a bit,steering under the butt. This is why countersteering works, drive the front wheel away from the desired path, then turn the front back under ourselves in a coordinated way, that stands the bike back up.
I can name at least 3 here who I believe have the "stuff" to either support or decisively smack my point down. I have to go out & get some stuff done, Its Pretty today! Gotta go round up some firewood.
I hope this thread finds some interest & we are able to get input from the guru types.

« Last Edit: 11/20/08 at 11:06:58 by justin_o_guy2 »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/20/08 at 10:07:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/20/08 at 10:00:49:
Wuhh? With 2 one ways only the outside wheel would over run the axle, OR, my mental picture is an abstraction/hallucination.

You DO NOT want to drive just one rear wheel.........
It will turn great one way but not the other.
It will cause bad things to happen if one wheel looses traction and regains it again and and...

Solid or center diff......

Solid is easy, cheap, light, but has draw backs.
Center diff will cost you or take time to build, maybe heavy and costly. The best way to go !

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/20/08 at 10:16:48

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/20/08 at 10:29:06

Since leaning into a turn is everything m/c, I would try to accomplish it and tie the steering to the lean mechanism for a coordinated turn/lean.

How about a electric clutch to tie the left and right axles together?  Either disengage manually for tight turns studdered for limited slip.

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/20/08 at 10:36:20

verslagen1 wrote on 11/20/08 at 10:29:06:
Since leaning into a turn is everything m/c, I would try to accomplish it and tie the steering to the lean mechanism for a coordinated turn/lean.

How about a electric clutch to tie the left and right axles together?  Either disengage manually for tight turns studdered for limited slip.

Well if you really want to lean go with a motorcycle.... to make a Trike lean is very costly and hard, and unsafe if not done right, one Co, has a independent rear axle that has a lean option that uses an electric actuator but it cost like $13,000............ You can get Trikes with a single rear wheel and ATV type frontend that leans..... Like $15,000.
If you want to lean but still be upright at stops you can buy a little Trike Scooter deal but it still cost like $8000.
As for types of rear setups that will work and is favorable for most all Trikes, stick with a Solid ATV axle or one with a center diff, all other ideas have been looked at or try'd with not so good results...

IP Logged
Chong Kim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SantaFe, NM
Reply #9 - 11/20/08 at 14:03:02

Your 30 HP Savage should run about like a late 1940's HD Servicar. It will be fine on the road. Before you decide on the final wheelbase, why not measure one of those and take advantage of Harley's R&D on the geometry from back then?

It would look cool with no rear suspension and a springer seat.

JMO

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/20/08 at 18:29:20

On my last Trike I did alot or working out numbers to get the right wheel base and width, but this one is not a high speed deal, so the wheel base and width I put the rear tires in place and looked at it for a bit, drank a beer or two and moved them a few times until I came up to what you see in the pics, the new swing arm will be 24" from pivot bolt to center of the rear bearings and 36" from hub to hub... and I will also lower the whole thing 2" ..

I was going to go all out retro, but my back cant take much as in bumps so a hard tail is out... I know I wanted to do that and white walls and all. But.
I still have the SS rods holding my back together, it pops and hurts all the time as it is.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 11/21/08 at 14:12:17

Hmmmm....  Maybe I'm not thinking correctly.... but I would first go down to your local dealer and look at all the ATV's (the big boys) and see if any have differentials.  Then, if you find one that does,  see it a slavage yard has any .......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/21/08 at 14:14:52

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 11/21/08 at 14:12:17:
Hmmmm....  Maybe I'm not thinking correctly.... but I would first go down to your local dealer and look at all the ATV's (the big boys) and see if any have differentials.  Then, if you find one that does,  see it a slavage yard has any .......

Prob with that it they are all SHAFT drive !!!! I've been researching and looking into this for 5 years now.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/21/08 at 15:03:33

apparently, cb900's have a 2 speed jack shaft that converts the normal chain drive to shaft drive.
don't know much about it yet.

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/21/08 at 16:56:34

Why ........ just use a solid ATV axle or pay to get a real Trike axle. You can try and find other ways but its a crap shoot or a waste of time.

I still have a few parts from an axle I was building if you want to finish it.
I have a diff with a sprocket replacing the ring gear, bearings to hold it, and axle shafts, you just need axle tubes from a Suzuki Samurai and make swing arm mounts.

You can have it cheap if you want.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:20:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mike's and Justin's Trike Q&A Thread..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.