Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Again ! (Read 395 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cam Chain Again !
Reply #15 - 11/20/08 at 22:56:03

Sounds great. No idea how you can figure that out, but Tear it Up, man!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #16 - 11/21/08 at 02:35:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/20/08 at 08:47:46:
Ive heard of ( urban legend?) old Savages with tons of miles on the original chain. I know there was a change to the tensioner spring in recent years. RElated? No idea. IF the new spring presses harder than the old one, then Id say it was a bad idea. If its softer, then I just dont get it at all.

Hmmmm, I wundurrrr,, would a softer spring maybe keep the thing from clicking into a new tooth on the ratchet during cooldown?
Im gonna go play around in there during the trike conversion.

my 81 gn40 the precurser to the savage did 98,000 miles before i screwedup and ran it out of oil before i killed it. it had an external tensionser tht worked great. i haVE no idea why they changed it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #17 - 11/21/08 at 03:18:03

Just the other day I replaced my tensioner with famous Verslagen,
first I tried it in the first hole,I pulled out the retainer after assembly and it shot out all the way to the stop, so I took it out and re did it and put it in the second (New) hole,this time it barley moved,I did leave it there but it seemed to me to be putting alot more pressure on the chain,could this atribute to wearing out sooner?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 11/21/08 at 12:16:12

Nature of the beast, springs apply more pressure when compressed.

I have in the past played with the wire diameter, number of coils and diameter to change the spring rate.  And this may have been what they've done.  But it's very difficult to make the spring force constant at fully compressed vs. mostly extended as this is.

As far as I can tell, the spring tension is to keep the slack out of the system.  But it's not enough to maintain tension against inertia forces.  That's where the tooth and pawl system takes over to prevent the chain from whipping and pushing the tensioner back in.

Although, if the pawl were to be removed, as long as the system is intact there shouldn't be enough slack for the chain to jump the sproket.  But that's something I'm not gonna test.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 11/21/08 at 12:26:26

perish the thought Sad

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 12/06/08 at 19:53:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/19/08 at 21:06:38:
......This could be part of the reason for the disparity in chain life between riders. If someone makes several town runs a day & the bike goes theu 3 or 4 warming/cooling cycles in a day, then the tensioner has had more opportunity to "Click" on a cooling cycle, as opposed to someone putting the same or even more miles on one & not stopping anywhere long enough to allow too much cooling.

POssible? Plausible?

My Savage (see signature) is the all-time queen of short trips.  I'd say that over half of the times I take it out of the garage it goes less than 10 miles before I put it back in the garage for the day.

I'll be sure to post up the data when I pull the clutch cover off, most likely within the next few months.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 12/10/08 at 23:26:14

Hi guys

I've redone my camchain tentioner with an extention on the bolt hole, long enougth so the up and down insides of the chain will meet befor the plunger comes out of its hole.
Also I put a softer spring cut to length so the spring quits pushing about .005" after the inside of the chain meet.  The idea being I'll hear a clicking of the chain insides when the usefull life is gone.  I've got about 12000 miles on the second chain... the first one was replaced at about 18000.  I just didn't like the distance the plunger stuck out or how strong that spring was.  
I'll make a new tentisioner arm when I put the next chain on, I'm thinking mild steel?  "Haven't got to that bridge yet.

Good luck with yours.  Let us know of any other ideas

Thanks

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 12/11/08 at 00:24:13

I dont know enough about the engine & warm up to know, but I would doubt that a 10 mile jaunt gives it time to "Grow" to its full capacity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:17:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Again !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.