Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why the f$%& wont my exhaust stay on? (Read 165 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
why the f$%& wont my exhaust stay on?
11/19/08 at 11:29:31

Im lost...

I bought an HD fishtail with two slits on it and mounted it to my header pipe.  Unfortunately... it will not stay on all the way and I've tried pretty much everything that people say will work short of having it welded.  I've tried the stock clamp, pipe clamps, even special exhaust clamps.  I tried shimming the inside of the joint with aluminum can, but that actually started melting through.  

The pipe slips on fairly tight over the first few inches of the header but on the last 1/2" it can slide back and forth.  I went to a bunch of shops and found out that apparently welding it on is the worst possible idea and that RTV should be able to seal it up.  The last shop I went to told me that I could RTV the pipe, wrap a shim around it with RTV between it and the pipe, then use a nice clamp which he ordered for me.

The RTV, shim, and clamp worked well...but the pipe still has that 1/2" of movement back and forth.  I coated the HELL out of the pipe/header joint and STILL the fit is just not tight enough.  It backfires just a little, a lot less actually, but I still have to kick the pipe back on because after a bit of riding it slides backwards (and stops)

Im flustered with this thing.  What can I do?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: why the f$%& wont my exhaust stay on?
Reply #1 - 11/19/08 at 12:58:28

Bobbert wrote on 11/19/08 at 11:29:31:
Im lost...

I bought an HD fishtail with two slits on it and mounted it to my header pipe.  Unfortunately... it will not stay on all the way and I've tried pretty much everything that people say will work short of having it welded.  I've tried the stock clamp, pipe clamps, even special exhaust clamps.  I tried shimming the inside of the joint with aluminum can, but that actually started melting through.  

The pipe slips on fairly tight over the first few inches of the header but on the last 1/2" it can slide back and forth.  I went to a bunch of shops and found out that apparently welding it on is the worst possible idea and that RTV should be able to seal it up.  The last shop I went to told me that I could RTV the pipe, wrap a shim around it with RTV between it and the pipe, then use a nice clamp which he ordered for me.

The RTV, shim, and clamp worked well...but the pipe still has that 1/2" of movement back and forth.  I coated the HELL out of the pipe/header joint and STILL the fit is just not tight enough.  It backfires just a little, a lot less actually, but I still have to kick the pipe back on because after a bit of riding it slides backwards (and stops)

Im flustered with this thing.  What can I do?

pop for a super trapp,      i'd have it welded.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/19/08 at 13:39:03

Are you running a rear mount?That will help hold it.If not it'll stress the joint,and the exhaust flange bolts.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 11/19/08 at 16:42:47

well its pipe clamped to the rear mount, and I can see why that could cause it to move around, but I still think theres gotta be a way to get the pipe to clamp down hard enough on the header.

I guess I should try cutting more slits into the mouth of the pipe.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #4 - 11/19/08 at 18:41:06

I don't get why they'd tell you welding is a bad idea unless you're concerned with switching out your muffler. I had a shop weld an extension on mine to fit the inside diameter of the screamin eagle..this wasn't good enough for me even though it was real snug so I had my welder buddy run a bead along the joint. Completely solid now and not a single backfire ever.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/19/08 at 19:00:41

If you want to try welding, I have an oxy-acetylene torch!   Wink

If you're uneasy about welding we can always try brazing.   I've never done any brazing, nor much welding.  I need to practice brazing for when I do my gas tank.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/19/08 at 23:46:21

No need to go nuts on the weld. Just a good tack in 3 places( 120 degrees apart) will stabilize it.Keep the clamp to keep the shims & RTV sealing it. Then, if you need to pull it, a small grinder & some care will get it done. OHH, yea,& you will need to pull it, so you can put a Supertrapp on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/20/08 at 05:19:03

What are you using to clamp the muffler????  

The Stock Suzuki clamp has "stops" in it so it doesn't close down tight enough on the Harley Pipes.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/20/08 at 07:31:57

I did not know that. The Trapp came with a clamp, IIRC. That being the case, you could try shimming the outside of the muffler, then clamping down on it & see if that does the job. If so, then maybe some of the inner shims can come out when you get a better clamp. Id like to see the thing, twin fishtails? Ive never seen such on a single, I dont think, sounds like a neat lookin arrangement. I didnt get the Supertrapp for its sexy looks. My choice of mufflers is the Dyna. So trim & sleek & Whooaaaa izzit cheap, but I wanted the OOOmph & sound of the Trapp.
I hope you are able to dodge welding. T-Mack gets the Big Gold Star.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 11/20/08 at 09:28:47

I moved on from the suzuki clamp a long time ago.  I think Justin's suggestion makes the most sense.  I think the size of this pipe just makes it very difficult to clamp down so a few tac welds would hold the muff in position and a clamp to hold a sealing shim would make it airtight.

Here's the fish on there, discolored from being under wraps for a few months:

its fuzzy because the ISO's up a lot to get enough light

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/20/08 at 13:17:14

hey bobbert take a day time pic it wont be fuzzy lol. I had a heck of a time with my sporster muff. Sleeves I was getting were to thick. They would fit in the muffler but would not fit over the header. My muffler just would not clamp down over the header. Custom shop said they had never seen a header that is has two lips at the tip and then gets thicker. Anyways I found this stuff called Versachem hi-temp steal. paste it on your header, and make a thicker ring at the end where the muff bottoms out. Run bike to help cure. Wait 24 hrs, and file it down to size bit by bit. Your muff should fit snuggly over it. Wrap some aluminum tape tape around it, clamp it and get a 7 inch heat shield to cover it. tada.  No leaks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › why the f$%& wont my exhaust stay on?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.