a little confused? (Read 116 times)
spbait
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

a little confused?
11/19/08 at 05:27:53

hey guys,
I have been reading this site for a while now and have found that these guys really know this bike i have the famous oil leak that i have pinpointed to the head gasket. my question is a general one....shall i purchace a clymer manual and the (pic cd)? then with a moderate mech ability is this a doable fix? shall i attempt? thanks for your time!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: a little confused?
Reply #1 - 11/19/08 at 05:50:06

Buy the manual, it is a given around here that you have it to refer to.  There are several posts in Search pointing to on-line PDFs of the manual if you don't have the coins to buy one.

CD is very nice, but optional.  I don't own one but I do refer to Savage Greg's old posts in the Tech Section before starting a new job that I've never done before.

Head leak is apparently not all that hard to do, just make yourself a template of the head as per the Tech Post and poke all your bolts in the image's hole locations so you keep up with what's what.  Make sure you have a torque wrench to redo all the head torques that will be uncovered.

I am a fan of the baggie method -- I take something off, I put it in a baggie along with the bolts that were removed.  I also mark sub assemblies with a sharpie for orientation and take digital pics of each layer before I start to dig in -- amazing when you go to put it back how often you find that stuff can go on different ways ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/19/08 at 06:54:18

If you can tell the difference between a head gasket and a head plug you can do this fix.  Careful attention to detail, able to follow directions, and twist a wrench is all that is required.

And take a look at the cam chain tensioner while you're in there.

WWW   IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/19/08 at 09:22:32

I have done this and it was not terribly difficult.  Take your time and don't force anything.  If the head cover does not come off with a little tap with a block of wood, you missed a bolt or two.  Do NOT attempt unless you have some good tools.  Don't try to use a 150 lb torque wrench for 24 ft/lb head bolts.  Get a 3/8 drive where 24ft/lb will be about in the middle of the scale.  A set of 3/8 sockets is a must.  A set of 3/8 "sockets" with metric allen ends is helpful.  A set of straight box end wrenches and a set of offset box end wrenches.  Don't get the cheap ones with thick heads or the fancy ratchet ends.  Be sure you have THIN box ends or the will not fit into tight spaces.  A pair of small channel locks help getting the speedo cable and gas lines loose.  I had a half tank of gas and did not drain it.  I took the hoses loose at the carb and all was fine.  If you don't have at least these minimal tools, do not start the project until you do.  A few weeks ago I posted here about 600 mile maintenance.  I think it is on page 4 or 5 of this rubbersidedown website now.  Might be good to read that too.

IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/19/08 at 09:24:26

Quote:
Make sure you have a torque wrench to redo all the head torques that will be uncovered.

My torque wrench worked fine for the 4 big nuts holding the head. I could not access the 2 nuts that go up from the bottom nor the 2 small nuts at the base of the jug on the right side. The best I could do with my tools was putting a combination wrench on those and making sure they were tight. The 4 big nuts on the top side were already overtorqued from the factory.
I didn't know if it was necessary to change the small rubber washers that are under some of the bolt heads. I bought what I thought was enough (5) according to the squeelers shop manual. That isn't enough for all of them. They get $1.99 each for these tiny rubber washers. I bought the o-ring also. I think that was $6.
The baggie idea is a good one, but for this job there isn't a need if you use the enlarged bolt pattern pasted to the box. I consider that part a must do.
Adjust the valves while your there.
The cam chain tensioner requires taking a complete different cover off. It isn't located under the head cover, but the cam chain tensioner should be checked.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 11/19/08 at 18:15:19

Manual......  www.manualz.info

If you have a high speed internet connection....
71 megabytes.....  

Clymers Manual

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:13:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a little confused?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.