Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike runs better with choke halfway out (Read 136 times)
vargas

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bike runs better with choke halfway out
11/18/08 at 22:49:52

It doesn't lug as much and revs down more slowly ,also shift-up and down seems smoother at least until the bike is really warm. It's always been this way. I don't ride with with the choke that way for fear of running too rich. Anyone know why?
thnx.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: bike runs better with choke halfway out
Reply #1 - 11/19/08 at 03:01:10

Is the bike stock or has it been tweaked/modified???  Year ?

Without more info, first "guess" would be you're running lean.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #2 - 11/19/08 at 04:06:45

I'd agree with T Mack.  When temps get colder and the air gets drier, it has the effect of making your fuel mix much leaner that it would have been in  warmer temps and higher humdity in , say, July. By going to half-choke you're richening the mixture to bring it back closer to the ideal air and fuel mixture.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 11/19/08 at 09:40:29

Since the "choke" is actually an enrichener I have to agree with T Mack and Essforty's assessment.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 11/19/08 at 10:47:57

So, the solution would be to richen the mixture during the colder months? My bike took a while to start this morning. Temp was about 31F. After she fired up, she ran fine. I don't like the starter turning over 10 times a day though, may burn it out.

FSO
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/19/08 at 12:20:49

Ah, this sounds familiar...Thump also is being a little stubborn in the morning, although I have a battery tender.  In addition, he is lugging big time in the lower gears.  It has been in the 20s and 30s F for the last week or so.  I hadn't tried running with the choke a bit on, although that doesn't solve the problem with starting.

Amy

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #6 - 11/19/08 at 17:28:45

Richening the mixture in colder months will restore the proper  ratio of gasoline to air for optimal combustion efficiency and power.   What happens is that as the air gets colder it becomes denser. Denser air means more oxygen is packed in a unit volume of air, which nets out to a leaner mixture (since the amount of gasoline is unchanged.)

So how does the choke help get the fuel mix back to normal?

Adding some choke results in more vacuum, and this sucks more fuel out of the idle circuit and other jets to richen the mix.  If you only adjust your idle mixture screw a bit richer in the winter you'll have better idle performance but that won't help you at higher speeds. If you add a little bit of choke you'll pull more fuel out of the other jets at higher speeds, which is what the OP observed.

Riders might also notice that their bike backfires more in the colder weather than in warm weather. Same explanation -the mix goes a lot leaner and so it's like a Savage sounds before the idle mix screw mod is done.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:08:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike runs better with choke halfway out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.