Send Topic Print
White washer in carb (Read 170 times)
savageclay

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
White washer in carb
11/18/08 at 19:11:01

I have read a lot on here about a white spacer mod and also saw where some people bought new washers. My questions is can you just removed the washer? And what is the purpose of the washer?

I did my first carb clean up today and I plan on putting it back together tomorrow so I wanted to find out forst.

Also after you do a carb clean will I need to re-adjust things on the carb?

Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: White washer in carb
Reply #1 - 11/18/08 at 20:15:27

Removing the washer completely is going overboard...People usually reduce the thickness to 2/3...that's one #4 nylon washer or two #4 metal washers.  .066" thick,..stock is .1".  If you don't want to get them, best to leave it alone.
You don't need to readjust anything if you didn't touch the idle mix screw...which is covered by a brass plug that you have to drill out to get to.

« Last Edit: 11/23/08 at 16:56:59 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savageclay

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #2 - 11/18/08 at 20:19:47

Thanks! Does the washer just sit on the pin. I didn't really see anything that would hold it there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/18/08 at 20:40:17

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 11/19/08 at 00:45:07

any suggestions for removing #4 if its stripped?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #5 - 11/19/08 at 03:21:01

I had to use a dremel with an extension holding a small bit to drill a hole in the top of the buggered screw, then an easy out held with vise grips worked. Scared the h&!! out of me doing it for fear of ruining something but it did work.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 11/19/08 at 06:29:02

Over the year I have read several white washer replacement posting. Some say to use 4mm washers and others 3mm. A couple of posters said they found that the 4mm washers would sometimes hang on the pin. Which is recommended?

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
savageclay

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Reply #7 - 11/19/08 at 07:47:40

So just so I am clear, the washer just sits on the pin down in that tube? There is nothing that keeps it in place?

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 11/19/08 at 09:17:57

Mr. Hyde wrote on 11/19/08 at 06:29:02:
Over the year I have read several white washer replacement posting. Some say to use 4mm washers and others 3mm. A couple of posters said they found that the 4mm washers would sometimes hang on the pin. Which is recommended?  

I bought four 3mm stainless washers.  The four are just about the thickness of the one nylon washer. I wanted some flexibility in the adjustment. I'm currently using two, which would probably be about 1/3 the original thickness. So far so good. Seems to run good in all throttle positions. I haven't done extensive testing with various combinations though. I tend to lean towards the ain't broke don't fix category. I'm running stock air with a 30 " fishtail muffler that definitely breathes better than stock. No backfire to speak of anymore.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 11/23/08 at 16:39:38

savageclay wrote on 11/19/08 at 07:47:40:
So just so I am clear, the washer just sits on the pin down in that tube? There is nothing that keeps it in place?

Ok....  not sure where to start here so will do at the bottom.

Lookig at the diagram above (yea, you'll have to scroll.....) spring (9) pushes up on a metal washer (8) that hits a stop clip ( I think - 7) that is on the needle (10).  Then the white plastic washer (6) is on the top side of the clip and acts as a "stop".   The plate (3) holds it all down in the slide.      

By making the white washer thinner or by replacing it with small washers, the spring will push the needle higher towards the plate and higher in the slide, which pulls it farther out of the jet ,  letting more fuel go by thus richer.....  

Does that help??????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:22:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White washer in carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.