Another carb thread (Read 132 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Another carb thread
11/18/08 at 12:48:49

Alright folks I'm really sorry to do this since I think carb and jetting q's have been gone over 100's of times. But here it is- I think I've got a pretty good grasp of this carb now but can't seem to get a good feel at WOT. I'm about to try a few things right now but just curious if anyone has an opinion before I go through the changes and test rides over and over. To start, I have a cone filter right off the carb and a screamin eagle exhaust. It took a 47.5 pilot to feel just right at idle. Mid range feels perfect, it's just at WOT it bogs down a bit and feels like it's maybe starving for some fuel. But, the opening of the muffler stays a bit black showing some signs of running rich. I currently have 2 washers on the needle, and a 152.5 main. (I just went up from the 150). When doing the roll off method, the bike just slowly decels, doesn't lurch suggesting a need for a bigger main. Maybe I need to throw another washer on the needle, and drop back to the 150 or 147.5 main? Oh, also there isn't any backfire upon decel or shutdown, and I've gone through the carb many times and am confident it is completly good to go. Thanks for any input.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Another carb thread
Reply #1 - 11/18/08 at 14:16:46

Maybe when it feels like it's starving for fuel at WOT it's actually getting too much? I would try 147.5 and see at WOT how it acts.
Especially because your saying a 47.5 pilot is right (isn't that stock?)
Somebody here was mentioning thier bike seemed to run best with a 55 pilot and 147.5 main.
I think 152.5 maybe is too rich.
But thats only my opinion,
Seviersavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/18/08 at 14:20:37

at what speed are you doing the rolloff?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/18/08 at 15:15:37

Good thing is, it's cheap to try a new jet.  Like Seviersavage says, 47.5# on the pilot is smallish, so maybe you don't need that big on the main either.  Are you at some elevation?  I'm at 2500ft and ride up to 9000ft, and have a 50# pilot/150# main.  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #4 - 11/18/08 at 15:25:22

Thanks for your input folks. According to my gps I'm at about 700ft. I am trying the rolloff trick around 50mph. My bike stock had a 52.5 pilot and a 145 main. I just stuck a 50 pilot in and it's running  better than with the 47. It's still doing the same thing though, when pushing it from about 3/4 to full throttle, it's either getting too little or too much fuel I think. I'm going to switch the 152 main for the 150 and test it again. Be back in a few min's .

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #5 - 11/18/08 at 15:49:19

Ok so the 50/150 combo feels pretty good. For the first time, it doesn't seem to be bogging out under heavy throttle. I think I'll go for a longer ride right now to get a better feel for it. Actually I'll ride to the shop and pick up a 147.5 just to try it out.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/18/08 at 16:57:40

Remember too, that jetting a street bike is a game of averaging...you want to do it on an average day, at the time of day you ride often, 'cause temp and humidity effects jetting...a lot...., it'll never be perfect in all conditions... and if you tend to ride up mountains, jet a little leaner.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #7 - 11/18/08 at 17:40:59

Ok so Im not the only person have WOT problems. I've not been able to rejet due to weather and work being so hectic but I'm gonna try REAL SOON. Good luck!! With your WOT issues let me know if you come up with a solution..

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #8 - 11/22/08 at 19:52:30

Just an update to see if anyone has any opinions on this. My air mixture screw was stripping out so I stopped messing with it. By stripping out I mean the area where the screwdriver goes was worn away. So, I got the screw all the way out and picked up an after market adjuster today with the extended knurled end. Feels WAY better to adjust. Here's the problem..I had to turn it all the way in to get the engine to run better. Then switched to a 45 pilot, still all the way in. It seems to run fine with the 45/150 combo but I don't like that it's all the way in. Should I just leave it alone now if it continues to run ok? I can't believe that I'd need a smaller pilot than that but I'd like to have some room for adjustment. I pulled the carb  again and measured the floats and they still seem to be right on. Can't think of what else to check, or just ride it like this

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #9 - 11/23/08 at 00:59:05

Perhaps your needle height is so rich it drowns the idle circuit.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #10 - 11/23/08 at 11:56:21

I've been thinking of that but I think that's only midrange. But...I was thinking of pulling the top off the carb to verify whether I have 2 or 3 washers on it. Taking off to work now, hopefully all is well

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:16:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another carb thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.