Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
switch on clutch leaver (Read 138 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
switch on clutch leaver
11/17/08 at 23:03:09

Angry Hi all,I find that the starting switch on the  clutch leaver is a bit of a pain when working on the bike, is there any way that it can be disconnected permanent without me having to have a major degree in electronics?

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: switch on clutch leaver
Reply #1 - 11/18/08 at 02:29:43

Maybe instead of actually mesing with the switch you could tie or tape the clutch lever, as if you were pulling it.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/18/08 at 03:07:40

trace the lines back to the headlight area. you should be able to unplug the leads to clutch lever and plug the harness side leads together. i have not looked myself but this is how it is on other suzuki bikes. the switch is now disabled and the bike will start with the clutch handle out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/18/08 at 05:16:47

Normally iopen switch, disconnect & short the wires to it, tells the bike the lever is pulled & is easily reversed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #4 - 11/18/08 at 05:58:11

Got it,,Is it the same with the side stand switch, engines I'm ok on. electrics I'm crap

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 11/18/08 at 08:56:47

Bypassing safety switches is usually pretty easy. Its a matter of finding out whether the switch is normally open or normally closed, and rearranging the wiring to match. However, in today's litigious society I hesitate even to tell anyone how to do it, let alone recommending it.

The safety feature that annoys me most isn't even found on a motorcycle. It is the "feature" that requires one to step on the brake pedal before shifting the transmission out of PARK. I know why it is there - it is to protect the fools who don't know how to properly set a parking brake but instead rely on PARK to hold the vehicle in place.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 11/18/08 at 10:01:08

I put in a relay so that when in neutral, it is bypassed.  This maintains the safety feature of not allowing the bike to start in gear unless you pull in the clutch.

How it works: The neutral switch in the tranny just acts as a switch to ground.  So, on the coil part of the relay (electro magnet part), one side goes to power (orange wire) the other goes to the blue neutral switch wire.   The switch part of the relay acts as a short of the clutch lever switch (yellow wires with green stripes).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 11/19/08 at 13:26:58

Charon wrote on 11/18/08 at 08:56:47:

The safety feature that annoys me most isn't even found on a motorcycle. It is the "feature" that requires one to step on the brake pedal before shifting the transmission out of PARK. I know why it is there - it is to protect the fools who don't know how to properly set a parking brake but instead rely on PARK to hold the vehicle in place.

Thought that was developed for a different set of fools - the kind that only bought Audi 5000's. According to Audi only the buyers of the 5000’s would get mixed up as to which was for gas and which was for the brake when they would start the car of a morning and it would run through the back of the garage, even if, according to some people at the time, they had both feet on the brake - it was only a coincidence that Audi put out a software update to their computer controlled throttle linkage about the same time all of these cases were reported.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › switch on clutch leaver

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.