YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
gas leak - major
11/16/08 at 15:12:24

Hi,

The bike is a 1997 LS 650.

The bike has been running great, I've been starting it up on weekends just to keep the battery charged and the fluids moving, since it's getting pretty cold to ride.

Today when I started it up, gas started pouring out from, what it appears, somewhere from under the seat. Looks like around the vicinity of the air filter, well behind the engine. It dosn't idle good now either. Last week it ran and idled great!

I also noticed that when it gets warmed up, there's a little smoke where the exauste and cylinder head bolt on...never really noticed it before so I don't know if it is related.

Any ideas where the gas could be coming from. It just seemd to pour out somewhere under the seat, well behind the engine. I've pulled the seat and the side covers but can't see a thing. It seems to leak most when it idles a bit then I twist the throttle. Weird!

Thanks for any ideas how to trouble shoot this one!!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: gas leak - major
Reply #1 - 11/16/08 at 15:20:40

Sounds like the fuel is pouring out of the vent lines. Might wanna check float needle and float level.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 11/16/08 at 16:37:28

That sounds sort of like my vacuum line issue.  I would check the vac line for gas.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/16/08 at 17:16:17

Most likely your float and or valve is stuck.

Take plastic handled screw driver and rap the carb hard a couple of times with the handle.

the gas is coming out the vent tubes, these vent tubes are routed in various ways, but those that know stick them up into the frame under the tank where the top tube splits into 2, there's a hole.

WWW   IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #4 - 11/17/08 at 16:47:46

Thanks!

Looks like the problem was a stickey float.  All it took was a few hefty taps with a screwdriver handle on the float cover...and the problem is fixed Smiley Good to know about this in the future.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:23:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas leak - major

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.