Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical Question--Possible new S40 Owner! (Read 145 times)
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical Question--Possible new S40 Owner!
11/13/08 at 21:33:21

Greetings: Grin Grin  I have been thinking about re-entering the motorcycle experience after a 3 year absence.  Previous bikes: Kawasaki Concours (not a great first bike!!) and a Honda Silverwing 600 Scooter.

Anyway, I've been doing my due diligence and after reading about the S40 (savage) I'm quite impressed!!!

However, I like to be able to add electrical add-ons like supplemental lights and GPS and most importantly a heated vest!!

MY QUESTION:  What is the electrical output on the S40?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Electrical Question--Possible new S40 Owner!
Reply #1 - 11/14/08 at 05:39:33

I went the other way, I had a Savage, and bought a Concours. Not a big scooter fan.
Now on to your question:
Electrical output of the alternator on a MC depends greatly on your riding style. On the Savage, if you get out on the open road, and select a gear that maximizes your rpm, you'll get maximum output no matter what your speed. If you ride around from stop to stop, lugging (thumping) the engine at the lowest possible RPM you better get a battery tender.

edited to add: By the way, for lighting I'm assuming that you are talking about auxiliary driving lights with fairly high wattage and more than one bulb. For heated clothing I'm assuming you're talking about a vest and gloves or heated grips (after all if your hands freeze, whats the point) and maybe even heated pants. The Concours mirrors keep your hands and the fairing keeps your legs nicely out of the freezing airstream.

With that said, most motorcycles are going to have trouble with the load you are describing, including the Savage. The Concours was/is a special beast and seems to have been made for farkling. Very few people have trouble with it's electrical output. I think would be OK on the Savage with either the heated clothing or the lights, but not both. And this is only if you keep your RPMs reasonably high.

IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/14/08 at 13:52:43

Thanks for the response!
I just remember a few years ago, I was looking into a BMW F650GS and if I remember correctly, it had a 400W alternator.  It used about 100w for the anti-lock brakes and of course it was using some for the lights ignition, etc.  But, in the end it had enough spare power left to run extra driving lights and heated vest and gloves.  
So, I was just wondering if the S40 had something similar, without having to worry about draining the battery even in traffic.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #3 - 11/15/08 at 08:35:45

How many watts is all your accessories going to be?
The S-40 wont tolerate too much more at slower traffic speeds. I only switch on my extra driving light, (55 watts) when im on a stretch where i'll have some decent rpm's going on..  Ask me how i know.. haha

IP Logged
Kevininsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/17/08 at 17:59:34

I'm not sure about the electrical load, but nothing more than the standard motolights and standard electric vest.  I guess I should find out what kind of watts they both use and then ask if that amount is available.
Thanks
Kevin

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #5 - 11/17/08 at 20:22:17

indeed Smiley ... This vest, http://www.sporttour.com/Widder.htm only draws 33 watts and the S-40 will easily handle that.
I'm not sure about the max watts you can go but i know that an additional set of driving lights (2 x 55 watts)  will drain the battery if you drive slower like 35/45 mph @ normal rpm's. My battery died rather quickly running all that juice.
I'd say you can run just the vest and stock lighting at any speed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:18:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Question--Possible new S40 Owner!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.