Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with chain not on my savage !! (Read 103 times)
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Need help with chain not on my savage !!
11/13/08 at 13:28:38

I am working on a yamaha 250 virago for a friend and noticed some weird noise come from the area of the chain. After putting it on the lift, removing the covers and inspecting I noticed as I turned the wheel the chain appeared to tighten and the loosen as it moved around the sprockets. I removed the chain and cleaned it thoroughly lubed and reinstalled.I did not notice any frozen links.Still the same results Is it possible that the chain is bad or should i be looking at something else?  Appreciate any suggestions. thank you

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need help with chain not on my savage !!
Reply #1 - 11/13/08 at 14:27:43

Is it possible the sprocket isnt perfectly concentric on the axle? If one edge of the sprocket is further from the axle, it will tighten the chain as it comes around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 11/13/08 at 15:46:55

chain and sprocket ages???chains streach and get bad links specially low $ type..sprokets wear specially when chain is TOO tight..
sounds like worn sprocket(s) just a guess, check for flaring (MUSHROOMING?)
check mounting of both sprokets only play should be lil front to back @ the rear
in the rear hub check the rubber isolators(if any) from the sprocket mount to the rear hub...one bad in the set could do what you describe
good luck post what you find
and remember this as you bust a knuckle "no good deed goes unpunished"just kiddin!!! Grin
after re reading:  check number of links top of chain and bottom, both need to be equal from sproket to sproket (sprocket)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/13/08 at 16:23:43

Probably need chain and sprockets...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Reply #4 - 11/13/08 at 18:31:53

appreciate the advice. I think I am gonna start with chain and front sprocket since that is what I have been able to get my hands on so far. Probably should replace rear as well.I want to wack this guy on the head as the condition of the oil was as thick as sludge and the filter is probably the origanal. Bike is a 95 with 4900 miles on it and its a shame to see a bike neglected so badly.  I will keep all informed of progress. Thanks

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 11/13/08 at 18:54:26

to check what needs replacing mark the chain and each sprocket with a spot of white paint (like white-out)

I would expect that you see a pattern as it spins.  If its once per chain cycle, that's your problem.  Most likely its one of the sprockets and you'll be able to tell which one by how often it happens (it should be once per revolution)

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 11/13/08 at 20:04:36

That is normal with most chain driven bikes.  It will vary on the quality of the chain and power and riding style of the rider.  The chains typically don't stretch evenly and you get that kind of issue.  The key is to set the slack by the tightest point not the loosest.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/13/08 at 22:50:23

Sometimes, if a bike gets , rode hard and put away wet,... the chain will dry/rust up and get a hitch in it, and will eat the sprockets...
Later,... the chain gets lubed and frees up, but the damage is done...now the damaged sprockets eat the chain...
Yuckky deal....
250 Virago's a fun little bulletproof bike.  Deserves a rehab.
Hope it gets what it deserves...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:22:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with chain not on my savage !!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.