Valve job question (Read 143 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Valve job question
11/12/08 at 15:08:59

I took my head off in hopes of doing a valve job,only to discover the Clymer manuel says "Do not grind valves",I diden't really want to buy new valves,I have always done this to all my bikes when needed.
This is the first time I have read a manuel before starting work.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Valve job question
Reply #1 - 11/12/08 at 15:16:18

Mick -

Why did you read the manual?  You know the old saying, "Only when all else fails, read the instructions".
Seriously, is the exhaust valve sodium filled?  I don't know, but that could be a reason for not grinding it, couldn't it?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/08 at 16:06:58

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 11/12/08 at 15:16:18:
Mick -

Seriously, is the exhaust valve sodium filled?  I don't know, but that could be a reason for not grinding it, couldn't it?

Jerry, I believe you are correct. I think they are sodium filled alloy. In air cooled engines, temperatures can reach as high as 600-800 F. Grinding valves  wears off the stellite alloy which is is a range of cobalt-chromium alloys designed for wear resistance.
I know people still do it though. Probably not something I would recommend though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/13/08 at 00:00:00

300 CID Ford 6 bangers have sodium filled exhaust valves. Didnt kow it was a bad idea to grind them, tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/13/08 at 20:18:33

I have cut 3 angle jobs in savage valves before ... and the valves are not coated with anything, valve blanks are made of a hardened steel ... not quite as hard as they need to be ... but they are hard none the less ... they also have been ground once before at the factory... though not to a 3 angle and as they wear, they can lose several 1000'ths off their seat easy.

The valves are not sodium filled ... no way, no how .... cos the broken valve in that savage motor I had will have had to be hollow ... its not.
They are through hardened steel ... as in like a hard alloy of steel ...

Good aftermarket valves are made of inconel, an alloy of steel that is very close to chrome vanadium steel. Those are machine ground to precision and swirl polished ... the equivalent of the 60 degree cross hatch on cylinder walls. Its hard all the way thorough and retains it over a long range of temperature ... and is very wear resistant. Suzuki BS is just plain semi hard no name steel alloy.

Sodium filled valves are done so for lightness ... like savage spins fast enough for it to make any real difference.

Take it to a good shop, deck the head, 3 angle cut the valves and seats and fit it back on ... and if they want to charge you more than a 100, or give you too much attitude ... send it to me, I know people who will do an extraordinary job for a 100.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #5 - 11/14/08 at 00:24:10

srinath wrote on 11/13/08 at 20:18:33:
... they also have been ground once before at the factory... though not to a 3 angle

They're not three angle from factory? I always thought they would, how else do they get the correct seat width. There are contact area and seat width (three angle) specs at the factory manual.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/14/08 at 00:40:07

Boy I don't know what to think now.
Today I put the spark plug in and filled the head with gas,no leaks what so ever, so I will asume they do not need grinding. I will polish what I can ,then put it all back together.
It's been fun ,I wanted to have a look inside any way.now I know exactly what the piston and valves look like so I can invision them all working in together in harmony.
Don't get me wrong here I know what valves and pistons look like,
but I wanted to know what MY valves and piston looked like,
It's always nice to know what's going on between your legs.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/14/08 at 09:40:21

mick wrote on 11/14/08 at 00:40:07:
It's always nice to know what's going on between your legs.

Yup...

Adam to Eve in the garden of Eden...
"Stay back Eve!,...I don't know how big this is gonna' get!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 11/14/08 at 10:45:51

If they cut a 3 angle, the 30 and the 60 were very poorly cut ... they have a nice wide 45 ... and non existent other 2. However maybe the wear could do that.
Valves need 3 angle job to cool better not to seal better. The single angle seals well, but the 3 angle gets the flow to curl and takes heat out of it. It of course also sheds heat at the time its hitting the seat, but that doesn't change with the 3 or 1 angle.
Decking the head is to help it seal up, you dont take a whole lot out, but its just perfectly flat after you deck it, its a great thing for the gaskets to seal up.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:23:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve job question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.