SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: removing airbox
Reply #15 - 02/05/09 at 06:10:52

Jim - You make so much sense with the pictures and diagrams you provide. You're a true asset to this forum. Smiley

Another one of my "too many to list" mods that I need to get working on.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 02/05/09 at 07:16:37

Thanks.  I love finding easy, low cost ways to improve my bikes.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #17 - 02/05/09 at 13:23:05

I will be moving that battery box back soon, thanks for filling in that gap for me too lol.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 02/05/09 at 18:02:07

I finished my airbox removal/battery moved back project.  For bonus, I ran the wires between the frame supports for the rear fender to give it a cleaner look.  I had to lengthen about six wires total, including making a new, longer ground wire that goes from the battery negative to the bolt on the engine by the clutch.  

I made an aluminum cross brace to go across the frame, underneath the seat.  The computer box is mounted to the brace.  

To me, having the airbox removed and moving the battery back gives the illusion that the bike is longer.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #19 - 02/06/09 at 07:36:50

I don't miss my air box at all. I love the more open look. I agree it makes it look longer and a lot different.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #20 - 02/06/09 at 08:56:31

Looks great without that stuff. I'm going to be doing this as soon as my garage is warm enough. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #21 - 02/06/09 at 17:16:26

Well... I tackled the airbox removal mod this evening... Smiley Let me just say, a HUGE PITA!

There is certainly not enough space in the frame to remove that. I was able to remove it though with the belt cover in place, simply slipped my 10mm socket under the belt guard enough to break it free, then was able to spin it by hand.

The box was getting stuck on the carb "lip"... But, with a little bit of blunt force it popped straight out.

Anyways... I pulled the box, but that's about it. I'll have to sort out re-installing it sometime this weekend.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 02/06/09 at 18:33:04

Ha!  It didn't take long for your garage to warm up!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #23 - 02/06/09 at 18:41:35

It wasn't warm. :-P I just got the itch to do some mods and when I started taking the seat off, I couldn't stop!

I'm hoping to get some more done tomorrow or Sunday. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #24 - 02/06/09 at 19:35:29

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 02/06/09 at 18:41:35:
It wasn't warm. :-P I just got the itch to do some mods and when I started taking the seat off, I couldn't stop!

I'm hoping to get some more done tomorrow or Sunday. Smiley

I couldn't stop either. Taking stuff apart is FUNdamental!  Cheesy
Getting it all sorted and put back together?  Undecided

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #25 - 02/07/09 at 18:46:10

I got the brackets, nuts and bolts that I needed this afternoon. Got tied up in my Festiva project though half way through though.

The weather was beautiful today though, it would've been great to go for a cruise.

I'm thinking of finding a different type of battery box. If I went with something smaller, it could fit even further back in the frame. I don't really use the storage space anyways.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #26 - 02/08/09 at 18:02:29

Welp...Attempted a bit today. Got my brackets cut and drilled like I needed. But I'll need to extend my negative battery cable and another wire before I can remount the battery box. I'll run them up along the frame for a cleaner look (as Jim mentioned).

One question... What did you do with the tabs that were leftover from the air box? There's one on each side. Did you leave them go or cut them off?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #27 - 02/08/09 at 18:29:15

I cut them off.  

You'll need 8 gauge wire for the negative wire and new connectors for both ends.  I tried removing the connectors on the stock wire to reuse but had no luck.  I got the black 8 gauge wire at Lowes for 61 cents per foot.  I got the connectors at Autozone.  

I also extended:
- the short black/white stripe 18 gauge wire that also goes to the negative post and has a connector.
- the blue 18 gauge wire that goes up and ends with a connector on the left side of the frame under the tank.
- the green and orange wires that split off from part of the wiring harness somewhere around the top of the battery area and ends with a connector.  

Umm... I think that's it.  I don't think I'm forgetting any but if I have you'll discover it.  

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #28 - 02/08/09 at 18:46:02

Thanks. I moved some of the wires around a bit. Looks like I should only have to extend the negative cable ... I was thinking of extending the part that attaches to the bike vs. the battery, I'd only have to extend that 1 wire at that point. And the blue wire that runs under the tank. I untangled the rest of the wires... Everything that was running up the side seemed to be twisted together, after untwisting all of them, it seems that most of the wires are long enough as they are (and some could probably be cut down to size, especially if I'm moving the rectifier around and stuff too).

I need more daylight to work on it. The bottom portion of our garage has sucky lights and it's a big pain to do anything with. Plus, it's filled with junk, so I've got about 1.5' on each side of the bike to work and that's just not enough.

I probably will cut those tabs off though. I need to get myself a good cutoff wheel. I guess I'll have to break out the Dremmel. Thanks!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #29 - 02/09/09 at 04:53:05

I noticed when I was doing mine that there are a lot of wires that are a lot longer than they seem. I undid a lot of the bundles and found tons of extra lengths. Whom ever wired my bike made no sense to me. A few wires would run up one bundle and half way down another and back up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › removing airbox

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.