Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So I'm looking to buy an S40, have questions... (Read 241 times)
stoopidsteve87
Ex Member

So I'm looking to buy an S40, have questions...
11/10/08 at 19:41:23

So looking to buy my first bike, the dealer near me has a 2006 S40, only 290 miles, wanting $3900 for it. Figure I can get it for a little less I'm sure. But anyways, I've done a lot of researching, as I have a few other options as well, plus there's always the choice to just hold off, wait a little longer for something else to come up. But there's something about this bike that just has me really coming back to it everytime. Red, just a good looking bike. Love the weight. I'm 5'10, 180 pounds, but again it's my first bike, so I really just don't think I'd feel all that comfortable on some of the heavier bikes I've sat on.

Anyways, for the questions. How's it on the interstate? Other than a few minutes up the highway to and from downtown, it'll be mostly city riding. Though I one of the main reasons for getting a bike is the 2 hour trip back home from where I'm at for college. 2 hours north, or 2 hours west to family either way, but 2 hours on the interstate nonetheless. How's the bike do? I mean, I don't want to get out there and absolutely can't top 70 and get plowed over, lol.

Then there's the lack of an aftermarket for the bike...I'm reading that the sportster seats fit best, but do any of them really fit well without leaving that massive space between the seat and the frame? Ugh. lol.

Really leaning towards this bike though, love the simplicity of the look and the extremely light weight.

IP Logged
stoopidsteve87
Ex Member

Re: So I'm looking to buy an S40, have questions..
Reply #1 - 11/10/08 at 20:01:33

**Also, what's this about rejetting the carbs that everyone is talking about? And I saw that the kit to do it is relatively cheap. I'm not very mechanically inclined...at all...how simple of a job is it to do?

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #2 - 11/10/08 at 20:08:04

Yep you'll love the bike and yep you'll REALLY love the zoom after rejetting. Yep it's easy.
I don't like going over 80, bike will go faster but I keep it 70 to 75 no problem.
Yep my sportster seat is WAY better than stock, I recessed the pan so it would sit down on frame---- no ugly gap.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
stoopidsteve87
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/10/08 at 20:22:43

Any pics of that anywhere? I've looked all around trying to find something done like that and no luck. Because I know after sitting on the bike once that I'll want to change the seat, but keep it stock looking for sure. The gap is horrid, lol.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/10/08 at 20:45:05

Great bike for a beginner...Good "bones" to make it whatever you want.  Happiest at 50 to 60mph but will run forever at 75mph if you ask her.  90mph tops.
There is a seat tilt mod in the tech section that does wonders for comfort.  I've been riding for 35 years, and it's my favorite toy so far.
Here's a pic of my modded baby....cost about $250.00 to make all mods...best wishes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #5 - 11/10/08 at 20:54:37

I think its a good price for so few miles.. You'll want the windshield for the  long rides and a better seat. I haven't rejetted and prob wont. It' runs good enough as it is for me.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 11/10/08 at 21:36:22

stoopidsteve87 wrote on 11/10/08 at 19:41:23:
....Anyways, for the questions. How's it on the interstate?

The only other bike I've run on the Interstate was an early '80's GS450E with a Vetter Quicksilver fairing.  Ran 80-85 mph up the I-5 from L.A. to San Francisco.  Intense buzzing, had to stop hourly for a cigarette break and to allow my hands to de-numb.

Last year I left L.A. about 7am and ran 570 miles to Holbrook AZ.  Day 2 was 510 miles more into Amarillo TX.  Speeds were mostly 65-70, same as most of the traffic.  Vibration was more tolerable than the 450 twin.  The 650 will not be burning the interstates at 85-90, but neither will it be chased down by the big rigs.

IMHO the big single is the kick-butt city bike -- but it also will do a good imitation of a canyon carver or a superslab tourer.

If you take to the roads less traveled, cut your speed to circa 55, you can see 70+ mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
stoopidsteve87
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/10/08 at 21:45:09

Yeah, you guys are definitely helping the decision. Though i realize you're all going to be a little bias  Wink But idk, like I said, it just really appeals to me. They've actually got two at the dealer I'm looking at, one being white and a dark pink, the other being red. He was showing me the white/pink one as it was sitting right next to the V-Stars, so I'd sat on it, and realized how light it was. Then he points out the red! lol, but my biggest concern probably is/was the higher speed thing, whether it'll keep up enough. I mean, especially on a motorcycle, I highly doubt I'm going to want to run 90, but to run 70-75 and know that there's a little left if I get in a jam or want to get around someone, that's a plus for sure. That pretty well covers the only concern I had that can't easily be fixed! So waiting to hear back from my stepdad on his opinion, but will probably go tomorrow or Wednesday, after deciding for certain, and get them to hold it till next week when I can buy it  Cool

Next step...get my license, lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/10/08 at 22:01:09

Where you at stupid? (sorry couldn't resist)
you must be in the southern parts to have any kind of riding weather but it's still cold.  That's something to remember as no ones buying now unless they can pick and choose when and where they want to ride.  Use that as a playing card.

KBB has the '06 at 3030, an '07 at 3300 and '08 at 3440

For the low mileage, I'd might go 3300, but go inthere with ads that say a lot less, offer what you feel like (for me it'd be 3000) and walk.

And buyer beware, most likely, he took this as a trade-in, did absolutely nothing to it.  don't expect him too, it got too few miles for it to need anything.  But's that another factor, he didn't put any money into it.  He's likely to come down and make something on it.

remember, he didn't spend a dime on it, no accessories so no adds, it's gonna sit all winter, and be oggling the big boys (oooh, I want one of those, just like all my buddies, but everyone says do this for awhile) so he'll think you'll be back to upgrade soon.

another thing to remember, this is your 1st bike, you are going to drop it.  it can be on the street, parking lot or driveway.  expect it, have the hankies ready.  by drop I mean a low speed spill that eats up a footpeg, scrapes this or that and not much more.  We've all done it, forgot the sidestand, hit some leaves/gravel/sand, fell over doing doughnuts in the neighbors yard...  Grin  The point is, this is your learnin' bike, expect the worst and it'll be ok.  Ignore it and it'll be a big ol' monster.  In other words, your bike ain't gonna be the polished beauty next year, so why not buy a scratch and dent special and put put a few more on it, then get a pristine one next year?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/10/08 at 22:14:58

stoopidsteve87 wrote on 11/10/08 at 21:45:09:
but my biggest concern probably is/was the higher speed thing, whether it'll keep up enough. I mean, especially on a motorcycle, I highly doubt I'm going to want to run 90, but to run 70-75 and know that there's a little left if I get in a jam or want to get around someone, that's a plus for sure. That pretty well covers the only concern I had that can't easily be fixed!

Went on a ride last sunday, all freeway, I led cause I knew the way.  Had to slow down to keep 'em in sight.   Grin  just the 3 of us, a ducati and a concourse.  I run 70-75 any time traffic allows.  Went 80 up a hill that beats kellog hill in steepness (kellog hill is on the I10 westbound into LA and is known cage killer)

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/10/08 at 22:25:15

verslagen1 wrote on 11/10/08 at 22:01:09:
Where you at stupid? (sorry couldn't resist)

Versy, you're wicked....

BTW- I ride regularly with a 650 V-Star,...very similar performance.  I got the launch,...he'll slowly catch up in a mile or two...maybe 4mph difference top end.  
Mines better...'Cause it's mine...
Ohh,..and I get nearly 10mpg better..."Ka-Ching!"
No brag just fact....      Maybe some brag....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/10/08 at 22:34:44

Serowbot wrote on 11/10/08 at 22:25:15:
Versy, you're wicked....

Thank you   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #12 - 11/10/08 at 23:51:20

If it's your first bike don't get it with the view of pulling it apart and puting bits on and taking bits off and bombing along at 80 90 miles an hour. Get it, and wobble about on it for a while, get the feel of it, find some quite area where there's no spectators around to make you feel like a numpty while you practice as many slow maneuvers as you can think of, one hell of a lot of clatters are at low speed. Practice AWARENESS, AWARENESS, Not direct in front. Read ahead and to both sides and behind, and always remember that you and your bike will always end up second best in any kind of furoro with four wheels. And dont't be looking at your reflection in shop windows to see how cool you are because you will hit the cage in front of you. Keep at it untill you start to feel as if the bike is part of yourself, then you might find, Hell! I like it Just! the way it is

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 11/11/08 at 05:14:31

stoopidsteve87 wrote on 11/10/08 at 21:45:09:
Yeah, you guys are definitely helping the decision. Though i realize you're all going to be a little bias  Wink

Maybe you will view me as a little less biased than others here since I sold my Savage and bought a Concours (not in that order) a Concours is a liter sport tourer - has a 7.5 gallon gas tank. I bought the Concours because I do a fair amount of longer trips and put a lot of miles on my MC year round in some not so nice weather all the time. The Savage is not ideal for that. However the Savage is just about ideal for the riding you are describing. In two hours on the interstate you are going to need to stop for gas anyway, so rack up the miles and get experience under your belt. It is much nicer around town that a 700 pound plus MC when the weather is nice. When you have quite a few thousand miles under you, you will be ready to decide whether the Savage is the ideal MC for you or if you want/need something different.

stoopidsteve87 wrote on 11/10/08 at 20:01:33:
**Also, what's this about rejetting the carbs that everyone is talking about? And I saw that the kit to do it is relatively cheap. I'm not very mechanically inclined...at all...how simple of a job is it to do?

Edited to add this answer. My suggestion to you would be to ride the Savage "as is" for a couple of thousand miles. I never saw a need to modify the Savage. Nothing I was going to do to it was going to turn it into a Sport Tourer or a Sport Bike (which is what it turned out that I prefer) so I rode it as is for a couple of years. I think that more Savages are screwed up by people who think they need to modify the carbs and change the exhaust and intake because of what they read but don't know enough about it to do it right, than there are Savages that were significantly improved by their efforts. There are exceptions of course, and the Savage engine hp can be slightly increased, but be aware of the costs of doing so, and take the time to find out how to do it right.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #14 - 11/11/08 at 06:09:34

mornhm - FSO wrote on 11/11/08 at 05:14:31:
I think that more Savages are screwed up by people who think they need to modify the carbs and change the exhaust and intake because of what they read but don't know enough about it to do it right, than there are Savages that were significantly improved by their efforts.

I somewhat agree with this. Have you ever noticed while, understandably, no one ever makes anything else than first class professional level modifications, plenty of people in Savage forums from US to Germany to Holland to Sweden have bought a Savage that is barely running and has all kinds of mechanical bodges? Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So I'm looking to buy an S40, have questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.