cylinder head cover (Read 304 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
cylinder head cover
11/10/08 at 18:53:36

I'm having one heck of a job getting the head cover off.
In the clymer book ,it just says take out head cover bolts and lift the cover off,I have been struggling with it all day, the book says to leave the bolt in that has a concave head and marked with an "A",  all the bolts have a concave head,there isn't one marked with a "A" ,the only odd ball one is in the spot they indicate , that has a phillips hex head,it says that one holds the exhaust valve rocker arm shaft in place and must be left in place at this time,but it doesn't say when to remove it.
Does any one know if the cover is usually stuck tight?
I have noticed so far that just about every nut and bolt has a lock tite
on it,I'm wondering if the last person to work on it used a similar gook on the gaskets.
Darn thing is starting to drive me nuts,any help would be appreciated.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: cylinder head cover
Reply #1 - 11/10/08 at 19:40:10

Yes it was hard to get off.
And there's bolts hidden all over the darn thing.
Did you get them all?

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 11/10/08 at 19:54:07

some can be missed - did you print the diagram out put it on a box and punch a hole for each? - they are different lengths as well - if you're sure - really sure all the bolts are out - and you have it at TDCC - I'd turn the engine over real slow an let the cam pushing against the rockers pop it loose

IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/10/08 at 19:55:05

I took mine off this weekend. You left the right bolt in place. Unless you want to take the rocker arm out of the head cover you do not need to remove this bolt. If your just changing the oil plug you will let it in. You did remember to take the 2 bolts out located under the rocker covers (L25) right? Mine was easily lifted with a wide blade screwdriver. It had not been off before so it was just the factory sealant.
Using the paper stuck to a box is a great help as stated above. You will get the bolts mixed up if it isn't used. Sooner or later you will turn the cover over and they will all fall out.
When you get it off I posted a question earlier that you can easily answer. There are thrust washers on each of the rocker arm shafts. I took my rocker arms out of the head and don't remember which side of the rockers they were on. You will see them when you turn the cover upside down. The thrust washers are just thin washers with waves. Your help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 11/10/08 at 20:07:48

beck wrote on 11/10/08 at 19:55:05:
I took mine off this weekend. You left the right bolt in place. Unless you want to take the rocker arm out of the head cover you do not need to remove this bolt. If your just changing the oil plug you will let it in. You did remember to take the 2 bolts out located under the rocker covers (L25) right? Mine was easily lifted with a wide blade screwdriver. It had not been off before so it was just the factory sealant.
Using the paper stuck to a box is a great help as stated above. You will get the bolts mixed up if it isn't used. Sooner or later you will turn the cover over and they will all fall out.
When you get it off I posted a question earlier that you can easily answer. There are thrust washers on each of the rocker arm shafts. I took my rocker arms out of the head and don't remember which side of the rockers they were on. You will see them when you turn the cover upside down. The thrust washers are just thin washers with waves. Your help would be appreciated.

A HA that must be it ,those two little buggers L25s,are still in,when I get it off I will take note of the the wavey washers,before I make my next move though I'm going to find a box and make a drawing of the cover and where the bolts go,it will have to wait til the morning now,I am into my second night cap,I never drink and ride or drink and work on the bike eather. thanks for the help.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 11/10/08 at 20:13:18

I fdound that somehow I missed the bolt L-70 dead senter when trying to remove the head,(despite haveing a bolt in the L-70 location on my cardboard "organizer")   It is located directly under the frame member that passes over the engine obviously Cheesy, and is easy to miss if you are doing the job with the engine still in frame.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 11/10/08 at 20:15:50

so what did you have in the L-70 hole in the cardboard?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 11/10/08 at 20:24:11

Well, 6 months later, I still haven't managed to get the money together to get the exhaust header bolt edm'd out, estimated cost $160.  so, I haven't tried to put it back together, and I fear when I do, I'll find out too late what it is. Cheesy
The now year long repair job is primarily due to family financial crisis, whenever I get a little mooney, I have too many places to spend it.  If I find a job,  hopefuly I'll get the beast back together.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 11/10/08 at 20:29:12

Wondered where you were Mick,

Anyway, the bolt numbers in the pic Versy posted are bolt lengths if you loose track,...I did...
One of them,...I think it's L70, needs to go in before you put the cover in place, or the frame will get in the way.  
And don't forget the vent tube screen, I did....
If she won't give,... a gentle twist with a wide flat blade screwdriver between the fins will make her release...near that timing chain cover plug...
I done it  four times now, on three different bikes, and it feels like the first time every time...early senility...

Good time to dump the chrome head covers if your so inclined,... 'cause you can leave that bolt out by the spark plug that becomes useless without the cover.

PS,...mailed your DVD's back to you on thursday, let me know when they're safely back in your hands,...Thanks
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 11/10/08 at 21:01:19

Thanks Gentlemen for all your help,I have a feeling it will be ok in the morning.
Serowbot,I did get the CDs back ,and thanks for" girl on a motor cycle"
and "on any Sunday" I watched girl; last night sexy little thing,
weird helmet though.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/10/08 at 21:53:26

Yeah,..weird flick all 'round...
If you haven't seen "On Any Sunday"... it's much better.

Trivia- the little boy riding a wheelie on the minibike in the pits at the start,...would later become champion motocrosser/motard racer Jeff Ward.   First motocross rider in history to win every major AMA motocross national championship.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/11/08 at 06:02:24

[quote author=24202A223D212C2520242C30490 link=1226372017/0#4 date=1226376468
I'm going to find a box and make a drawing of the cover and where the bolts go. [/quote]

It's a lot easier to just take the head cover photo above and put it on the copy machine. Enlarge it as big as your paper will allow. (The machine I use has the big stuff) It doesn't matter if it is not the exact size as the cover. It is just a reference and a place to store the bolts.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 11/11/08 at 06:10:37

beck wrote on 11/11/08 at 06:02:24:
[quote author=24202A223D212C2520242C30490 link=1226372017/0#4 date=1226376468
I'm going to find a box and make a drawing of the cover and where the bolts go.

It's a lot easier to just take the head cover photo above and put it on the copy machine. Enlarge it as big as your paper will allow. (The machine I use has the big stuff) It doesn't matter if it is not the exact size as the cover. It is just a reference and a place to store the bolts.

[/quote]
yep that was my intention,I made up two copies,one for future reference and one to stick on a piece of cardboard or box,just as I laid
my head on the pillow,it dawned on me.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/11/08 at 07:42:20

I actually stuck the bolts on the line near the nomenclature so that I could clearly see where it was supposed to go back.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 11/11/08 at 09:29:06

beck wrote on 11/10/08 at 19:55:05:

Here you go Beck, good luck.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:25:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cylinder head cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!