Facebite138
YaBB Newbies

You Only Live
Once!!!

Midland, Texas
Re: Top Speed
Reply #30 - 11/11/08 at 19:40:47

Mick,

I thought I'd be more aerodynamic as well, so I was disappointed to find that 80 was the top speed. I believe it's properly installed too, there's no wobble and my helmet isn't being rattled by wind. I did find a gain in gas mileage which is nice though.

I neglected to mention I was riding in a tucked position when I hit 90 mph.

No Air-Box, K&N Filter, Sportster Muffler w/No Baffle, 110-90 140-90, No Front Fender
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #31 - 11/11/08 at 19:53:01

Paladin. wrote on 11/10/08 at 18:59:39:
il67bp wrote on 11/10/08 at 18:00:47:
... about 80 before the engine sounds like itll blow and i slow down
The Harbor Freeway runs at about 85 mph when the traffic is light.  MAC muffler, carb may or may not have been worked by P.O., I was keeping up with traffic but the speedometer was blurry from the vibration.

Paladin I used to live in Long Beach,and I hope it was 4 in the morning
when you were doing 85 on the Harbor Freeway,that has to be right up there among the busiest freeways in the US,and if memory serves more holes per mile than swiss cheese,so many trucks all day and night.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 11/11/08 at 20:14:45

mick wrote on 11/11/08 at 18:57:55:
verslagen1 wrote on 11/11/08 at 16:48:06:
mick, i'm 240 and mine will do 88 uphill.
and both the stock speedo and veypor agree
D404 140x15

Thats good,but you are a master tweeker, the guy claiming a 100 has an almost stock bike , jets KnN air filter,no mention of any exhaust mods.
88 is still not a Ton

This hill I did the 88 on is on my daily commute that I've been doing long before I got the bike.  As soon as I was comfortable doing 80 with it, it has become my performance gage.  When I got it, it was near stock and I've always done better than 80.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #33 - 11/11/08 at 22:24:20

verslagen1 wrote on 11/11/08 at 20:14:45:
mick wrote on 11/11/08 at 18:57:55:
verslagen1 wrote on 11/11/08 at 16:48:06:
mick, i'm 240 and mine will do 88 uphill.
and both the stock speedo and veypor agree
D404 140x15

Thats good,but you are a master tweeker, the guy claiming a 100 has an almost stock bike , jets KnN air filter,no mention of any exhaust mods.
88 is still not a Ton

This hill I did the 88 on is on my daily commute that I've been doing long before I got the bike.  As soon as I was comfortable doing 80 with it, it has become my performance gage.  When I got it, it was near stock and I've always done better than 80.

How about the magic TON though,I dare say my steed will do a bit more than 85 if I had a longer straightaway,one great thing about our Savage, hills don't seem to bother it.
I googled Savage performance figures ,non of them gave top speed ,
but one of listed 16.? seconds in a 1/4 mile 77.? mph,shoot that's almost as good as my B/in laws drag pick up truck.and that was stock.
Beside the small gas tank,I think our Savage needs a 6th gear,or make 5th a little higher.
I guess thats the kid in me,faster faster ,I could never get enough speed,to this day I still lust for a 1100 ninja,but I know I would kill myself on it,actualy off it ,not on it,you know what I mean.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #34 - 11/12/08 at 06:15:26

mick wrote on 11/11/08 at 19:53:01:
Paladin I used to live in Long Beach,and I hope it was 4 in the morning
when you were doing 85 on the Harbor Freeway,that has to be right up there among the busiest freeways in the US.....
Ah, I think you;re remembering the Long Beach Freeway which serves the docks.  Big rigs three across all times of the day, pavement broken into jagged slabs by the pounding weight of overloaded trailers.  90% of the drivers illegal aliens -- talking non-human extraterrestials, not merely Mexicans; they think they are someplace where the laws of physics don't apply.  I don't use it.  To get to downtown LongBeach, the Aquarium of the Pacific, Parker's Lighthouse, etc. I take the Harbor freeway south then east accross terminal island -- much less traffic and joins up right at the southern terminus of the the LongBeach Fwy.

The Harbor Freeway terminates onto Gaffey in San Pedro, mainly carries commuters, especially south of the 405, so off hours it flys.  Which is amusing when you realize the CHPs base just off the Torrance exit.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 11/12/08 at 08:15:27

mick wrote on 11/11/08 at 22:24:20:
How about the magic TON though,I dare say my steed will do a bit more than 85...
Beside the small gas tank,I think our Savage needs a 6th gear,or make 5th a little higher.
I guess thats the kid in me,faster faster ,I could never get enough speed,to this day I still lust for a 1100 ninja,but I know I would kill myself on it,actualy off it ,not on it,you know what I mean.

I'm not in a state of repair that I want to try the ton again, maybe after I replace the cam chain... and a couple of pin stripes   Grin
The rpm drops a 1000 or so with every click, but 5th is only 500.
It's not the speed that worries me... it's the sudden stop.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #36 - 11/12/08 at 08:43:15

That's why the freeways are safer, no sudden stops, just bounce along for a while before you start sliding.  Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #37 - 11/12/08 at 18:06:58

accurate, gps verified, tucked behind factory shield. Run out of room to try to go faster. mods below

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #38 - 11/12/08 at 19:48:18

vtail wrote on 11/12/08 at 18:06:58:
accurate, gps verified, tucked behind factory shield. Run out of room to try to go faster. mods below
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007/11/03/bikepics-1076610-800.jpg

What did the factory speedo indicate at the same time?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 11/12/08 at 22:01:45

When I hit 94mph,(140/90 rear)=accurate mph, it was 2 mile downhill, tailwind, left arm behind back, so tucked I was a repaint....
I love a challenge...
One day...
The ton..
One day...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #40 - 11/13/08 at 07:34:42

Serowbot wrote on 11/12/08 at 22:01:45:
When I hit 94mph,(140/90 rear)=accurate mph, it was 2 mile downhill, tailwind, left arm behind back, so tucked I was a repaint....
I love a challenge...
One day...
The ton..
One day...
Downhill and with a tailwind, I guess that could be done.

You've adjusted gearing, but most people have to remember that ALL factory speedometers over-read by a few percent, rarely less than 5% and usually by 8-10%.  

So, when most riders see around 90 on the speedo with standard gearing/tires as top speed for their Savage, they're probably doing 82-4.  Call it 83mph.

So what do you need to get to 100mph?  Wind resistance/tractive force is proportional to the square of velicty, and power is tractive force times velocity, so power is proportional to the cube of speed.

So, to rise from 83mph to 100mph you're trying to go 20% faster.   If 32hp gets your Savage to 83mph, to get to 100mph you need 32 x 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.2 = 55hp.  A 70% increase in power.

Sorry guys, there's just no way on this earth that a standard Savage is going to hit 100mph whatever the gearing.  Unless, maybe, you find a 50mph tailwind, a 1 in 3 hill, or ride off a cliff.

As Scotty said, "Ye canna change the laws of physics, Cap'n"

« Last Edit: 11/14/08 at 01:09:06 by KwakNut »  

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #41 - 11/13/08 at 08:26:45

the Englishman solved the problem,
no way a 100mph on a savage.you who say you do are dreamimg.
Any more speed figures posted must be No wind and a flat road.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 11/13/08 at 10:46:56

That's no fair, you can pick up 10-15 mph easy when going down a long mountain 7 degree grade.

Just be prepared for your Savage to start using a little oil after one of them high speed mountain trips ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #43 - 11/15/08 at 17:25:25

Been thinking about how to get to the ton on my '02. So far I've seen 94 mph twice tucked behind a laid down small wind shield. Took about 2 miles to get there on a loooong flat four laner. I'm wondering if the tweek on the ignition module will give me the needed extra rpm to reach the ton. Thinking about bending up a new right side piece of sheet metal to use as a air scoop to force more air into the air box, already have the air box door removed. The faster you go the more air will be forced into the air box. Need to grab ahold of the bike with a wish and a prayer and just let it run.  Smiley. In stock trim the bike won't get there but I'll bet with some common sense tweeking it will.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #44 - 11/15/08 at 17:37:44

Back in 68 I took my  62 Chevy Impala down the I 5 freeway 3 buddy's and I going to tijana for after hours drinking,they kept urging me faster and faster, I got her up to 105 mph, the bad side,that car was never the same,there were no knocks or any thing like that ,it seemed to have lost it's get up and go go,so maybe not a good idea tweaking a bike that just wasn't built for speed.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top Speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.