Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Pilot/main jet question (Read 142 times)
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Another Pilot/main jet question
11/10/08 at 15:17:07

I have a Dyna muffler,cone filter and no other mods what pilot/main do you "suggest"?? I know all bikes are different but I'm that guy having the WOT problem and think it may be related to one of the jets?? Who has what and it works well. ALSO on a side note is anyone experiancing any problems with the 660 petcock, Im not I dont think but its just an idea... Thanks guys!

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Another Pilot/main jet question
Reply #1 - 11/10/08 at 15:36:34

try a 152.5 main jet.
i've had the raptor petcock in for about 3 thousand miles and my only problem is remembering to turn it to the off position when i put her to bed.
go ahead everyone. i know i've asked for it there.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 11/10/08 at 17:23:31

franch wrote on 11/10/08 at 15:36:34:
try a 152.5 main jet.
i've had the raptor petcock in for about 3 thousand miles and my only problem is remembering to turn it to the off position when i put her to bed.

I ain't gonna say a thing franch. I kept forgetting to turn the fuel back on after I went to a manual petcock. Quite embarrassing when riding with friends and suddenly you stall out because you used all the fuel in the carb.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #3 - 11/10/08 at 17:35:11

franch wrote on 11/10/08 at 15:36:34:
try a 152.5 main jet.

What about the pilot jet? I think the one I got is stock...

savagespence   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/10/08 at 18:18:05

Go up one on the pilot too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #5 - 11/10/08 at 18:46:39

52.5?? cause 50 is stock correct??

savagespence   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #6 - 11/10/08 at 19:01:10

I've got a 55 pilot and 150 main, K&N filter and a Dyna muffler. Also have the Raptor 660 petcock.
I'm 1/2 spacer and 1 1/2 turn out on the air fuel mixture.
Bike runs strong all the way to WOT

This morning though, 25 degrees out and I'm leaving in the dark when the bike stalls on me, I spend 10 minutes trying to start it, and of course I forgot to turn the petcock to on. Shocked

I opted to go 150 on the main insted of 152.5    Seems to have all the fuel it needs at top end.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 11/10/08 at 20:58:10

savagespence wrote on 11/10/08 at 18:46:39:
52.5?? cause 50 is stock correct??

Every Savage/S40 carb I have taken apart had a 52.5 in it for the pilot. I think except for Cali models, 52.5 is stock.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #8 - 11/11/08 at 02:05:51

Ok gonna try that today guess the best is trial and error(leaning away from that much error).. Tongue

savagespence   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 11/11/08 at 04:49:19

The most recent one that I got into was a Cal model and it had the #52.5 pilot and it looked to be the original...lots of crud packed in there.

It seems from many posts here and a lot of questions &/or feedback received from folks who are rejetting/tuning their carbs that the best choice for the pilot jet is a "straddling the fence" kind of thing.  Some find the stock #52.5 works best and others the #55.  (main jet of #150 or 152.5)   Many folks are having difficulty deciding on which one because the #55 may be near too rich and the best setting found is down to something like just 1/2 turn out.  Yet when the stock jet is used it seems too lean and the best setting found may be near 3 turns out (3 turns is max).  
This seems to be happening on STOCK engines with the Dyna/Sporty muffler.   The low throttle range of the carb, controled be the pilot jet, is sensitive to changes to the intake and exhaust.  The choice of stock filter or small cone, and the choice of muffler used to replace the stock unit, all affect the fuel needs of the engine in that low range.
It is important to have a good handle on the tuning procedures so that the best fuel/air mix can be set to make the engine happy.  And if the engine does not respond to your tuning efforts then the carb likely needs attention.  For a non responsive carb, 9 times out of 10 it is caused by some kind of blockage within the carb; either a clogged jet or passage to/from the jet.   I have had hundreds of carbs go through my hands and clogged jets/passages are by far the single biggest cause of malfunction.  Think about it, the holes in the jets and passages are extremely small and it does not take much to block them...even a single grain of sand/dirt is all it takes for some.  GOOD FILTRATION IS IMPORTANT.

I got off the track there a bit.   So, back to pilot tuning.....bottom line is that you need an open mind when tuning and listen to the engine; it will tell you what it wants and needs.

HAVE FUN.

IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #10 - 11/11/08 at 08:38:05

:'( that was beautiful lancer LOL

savagespence   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/11/08 at 09:19:52

I left the stock 52.5 pilot and put in a 150 last year and was really happy with it.  But wanted to try out the 152.5, so last month I did.  And it's rich, added 3 disks to the trapp, still rich.  Added a K&N filter, still rich.  I'll add some more disks or go back to the 150.

But what I've noticed is a change in the startup procedure.  With the 150, I always needed a little twist to start.  But with the 152.5, can't touch it.  Choke the same on both, 1 notch out.

WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #12 - 11/12/08 at 10:28:20

A question for people who are satisfied with their main jet tuning: When doing the 7/8ths to WOT test, does your bike pull noticeably more at WOT when properly tuned?  I cannot discern any additional acceleration between the two, but it's not slowing at WOT so I can't be too far off the mark if I am indeed off.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/12/08 at 11:11:04

before i went up to the 150, going uphill in whatever gear I was in, backing off WOT felt like twisting it the other way, equal amount.  Of course I'm taking into concideration that the bike is maxed out already.  So no real accel, maybe slight.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Pilot/main jet question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.