Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vacuum line from petcock to carb (Read 350 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Vacuum line from petcock to carb
11/10/08 at 06:41:15

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the boards, been reading and learning what I can.  I have a problem and am lookin for some help.

I have an 87 Savage, 5035 miles, of which I put about 1000 on in the past couple of months.  Everything ran wonderfuly fine, until Friday.

The bike was hard to start, everything spinning like it should, but just would not start up, tried half choke, full choke, no choke, throttle open, closed, middle, etc.  Finally she cranked up (after just a minute or two, but that was not normal).  She ran fine, when I went to start again, while engie was still warm, the same thing but not quite as bad.  Maybe it is just getting cooler here.

Saturday I found a good puddle of gas on the floor, dripping from the tube that comes out of the breather, as best I could tell.  I drained the gas and there was alot of fine stuff in the inline filter.  I cleaned that out, put the thing back together, cranked her back up, no leaks.  Let her sit a couple of hours and still no leaks.  I rode maybe 20 miles, same starting issue, but no leaks.  This morning another big puddle of gas.

I am not sure why the gas is leaking, but there is gas in the vacuum hose from the petcock to the carb.  I saw something about that somewhere, I thought on this board, but I cannot find it anywhere.  The gas leak is with the valve in the on position, not prime.  When i took the fuel line off the gas would not run out in on or reserve, but it did in prime, as it should.

I am currently draining the tank, will get a replacement for the vacuum hose (it appears to be OK, but now is the time to prepace it).  I guess I am going to pull the tank and take the petcock apart.  Is this the proper plan of attack?  Is there something else that would cause a leak like this?  Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this got long, but I wanted to be as clear as possible.  As far as I know there have been no mods to the carb, etc.  I did put in an inline fuel filter, but do not think that has anything to do with this.

Thanks
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Vacuum line from petcock to carb
Reply #1 - 11/10/08 at 07:14:15

Seems that your petcock diaphram has let go.
You're heading down the right road by replacing it.
Check you oil for gas, sometimes the gas seeps into the crankcase.
But I think you're lucky and it went into the airbox.

Also check out the petcock replacement withe quad part.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 11/10/08 at 07:25:44

Thanks verslagen1

At the risk of seeming even more simple than I am where do I get a diaphram, and where do I check out the replacement with the quad part?  Are these suzuki parts or aftermarket?  It is about 70 miles to the parts store and back and they are closed on Monday anyway.

Also, how do I know if there is gas in my oil?  I have been fortunate never to have seen that.  If there is, I guess an oil change is in order, but is there anything special to do?

Thanks
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/10/08 at 09:16:26

Replacement diaphrams aren't available.  Must be purchased as a unit.

Search "quad petcock" and something should turn up.  I don't have time at the moment to do it for you.

Keep an eye on your oil level, if it starts going up...
replace the oil and dump the contents of the filter at least or replace.

There's also a howto in the tech section on converting your petcock to manual.

And you can keep riding with the defective petcock, remove the vac line and cap both ports, use prime to turn on the gas, anything else to shut off.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 11/10/08 at 09:38:06

verslagen1

Again, thanks for your help.  Online I found the petcock only comes as a unit to the tune of $70 at bikebandit.  I could not get ronayers microfiche to load.

I took the tank off and the petcock apart, it appears there might be a bad spot on the diaphram, but I realize it could look normal and just be wore out, so that is not 100% reliable, I am thinking.  

When you say quad petcock, do you mean as in a ATV quad, that is what i found when i did a search.  I certainly do not expect you to do what I can do myself, I am just a little confused, which is not too out of the ordinary.  

I am on my way to town now, I will get a friend to look at the diaphram and see what he thinks.  I will also get some fuel line to replace the vacuum hose and a spark plug while I am out, since the tank is off anyway.

If I remove the vac line and cap both ports, I will need to turn off the fuel when I stop, correct?  Then there will be no reserve either, right?  That might be an option as opposed to spending $70 right now.

Again, thanks for your help and I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again
Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/10/08 at 10:02:53

prechermike wrote on 11/10/08 at 09:38:06:
Online I found the petcock only comes as a unit to the tune of $70 at bikebandit.  Painful, isn't it

When you say quad petcock, do you mean as in a ATV quad, that is what i found when i did a search.  Yes

I am on my way to town now, I will get a friend to look at the diaphram and see what he thinks.  I will also get some fuel line to replace the vacuum hose and a spark plug while I am out, since the tank is off anyway.  If you found gas in the vac line, the diaphram is bad

If I remove the vac line and cap both ports, I will need to turn off the fuel when I stop, correct?  Then there will be no reserve either, right?  

With capped ports the petcock becomes a manual unit, turn to prime to run, anything else to shut off.

I would highly recommend this untill you're sure the petcock isn't leaking or you're replaced it.

As a test, you could pull the line off the carb and route it to a cup to catch the dripping gas and leave overnight.  Since the gas leaking gremlin only comes out at night.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 11/10/08 at 10:58:29

I believe the quad petcock that is being referred to is from a Raptor. Try a search using Raptor Petcock as your criteria.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1220924835/0

Here ya go, did the search for ya since I'm bored anyway.  Wink Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #7 - 11/10/08 at 12:02:11

I did the conversion to the raptor 660 petcock and it was $14 bucks if I recall. I was in the exact position you were and I also went ahead and changed my oil to be on the safe side it does'nt hurt. I bought a 2004 raptor 660 petcock and its basically plug and play with the petcocks. The only difference is you have to plug the diaphram on the back side. I bought a box of plugs if you need one I'd be glad to send you one... Let me know if you have any questions its still fresh on my mind..

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/10/08 at 12:03:18

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 11/10/08 at 10:58:29:
I believe the quad petcock that is being referred to is from a Raptor. Try a search using Raptor Petcock as your criteria.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1220924835/0

I'm new here also. The diaphram on my petcock was bad too. (Just bought a '97 Savage) I ordered one from Ron Ayers last Monday. The price was $17.xx for the petcock. They said 7 to 10 business days. It has not arrived yet. I couldn't navigate the Ron Ayers site so I just called them and told them what I wanted. I asked for a 2003 Raptor 660 petcock. I hope the salesman picked the right part! When my part comes I will post their part #. It should be on my invoice. Since shipping a few little parts is as cheap as one little part I added an oil filter and air filter to my order. The oil filter was $3.xx and the air filter was $26.xx. Wish I wouldn't have ordered the air filter. Now I want to put a K&N cone filter on.  

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 11/10/08 at 12:35:20

Thanks for all the replies.  It is really cool to have so many people helping me out!

The verdict is: the diaphram is shot (but you all knew that).  Vacuum line is OK, plug looks OK, but I will proabaly replace them since the tank is off.

Another question, is there anything else I should do since the tank is already off?  I have had the bike a couple of months and do not know of any problems, excpet this.  But, while it is already tore apart, it seems like the time to do whatever.

I have loaded my cart at Ronayers.com, but will wait until tomorrow to order the stuff, i am going to call and see if they have it in stock. That will get the part quicker, not necessarily any cheaper and I can probably find an excuse to go to Greenville anyway.

Savagespence, I will need a plug, I guess.  It goes on the carb since the raptor petcock does not seem (as far as I can tell from the picture) to have a vacuum line nipple.  Is that right?  I will be glad to send you something.

Again, thanks for all the help from so many folks.

Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 11/10/08 at 12:37:49

prechermike wrote on 11/10/08 at 12:35:20:
Thanks for all the replies.  It is really cool to have so many people helping me out!

The verdict is: the diaphram is shot (but you all knew that).  Vacuum line is OK, plug looks OK, but I will proabaly replace them since the tank is off.

Another question, is there anything else I should do since the tank is already off?  I have had the bike a couple of months and do not know of any problems, excpet this.  But, while it is already tore apart, it seems like the time to do whatever.

I have loaded my cart at Ronayers.com, but will wait until tomorrow to order the stuff, i am going to call and see if they have it in stock. That will get the part quicker, not necessarily any cheaper and I can probably find an excuse to go to Greenville anyway.

Savagespence, I will need a plug, I guess.  It goes on the carb since the raptor petcock does not seem (as far as I can tell from the picture) to have a vacuum line nipple.  Is that right?  I will be glad to send you something.

Again, thanks for all the help from so many folks.

Mike

In my opinion, you will never find a better bunch of bikers than this place right here. The guys and gals on this site have helped me more than I can say.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/10/08 at 13:26:12

prechermike wrote on 11/10/08 at 12:35:20:
Another question, is there anything else I should do since the tank is already off?

If you're itchin' to turn the wrench, then adjust the valves, and check/replace sparky.  About another hours worth of work and check your cam chain tensioner.  There are howto's in the tech section.

Add a spark plug and clutch cover gasket to your basket.

WWW   IP Logged
savagespence

NEEEWBIE!!

Nashville,TN
Reply #12 - 11/10/08 at 17:50:12

Mike send me your mailing address and I'll send you one I've got A BUNCH!! No worries I've got some extra stamps and if I can spread the wealth (not like obama)  Roll Eyes its the least I can do. This forum has helped me out alot, so its payback LOL..

1996 Savage no mods YET..
savagespence   IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/10/08 at 19:45:30

I got my Raptor petcock from ronayers.com today. Their part number is 5LP-24500-01-00. The price was $17.02. Shipping took 7 days.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 11/11/08 at 08:56:41

Thanks again to everyone that offered their assistance.

I have ordered the parts from Ron Ayers, they did not have them in stock and they would have had to order them, which would have taken just as long and I would have still had to go and pick them up.  Anyway, they should be here Wed or Thur of next week.

I can probably find enough to keep myself busy until them, even though I will miss riding Thumper.

Again, thanks for all your input.  I will post again when I am ready to get back on the road.

Mike

prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vacuum line from petcock to carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.