Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil plug and Cam Chain oh NO ! (Read 571 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil plug and Cam Chain oh NO !
Reply #15 - 12/06/08 at 19:51:12

I've reused gaskets many times, as long as they are fairly new and hold together most likely they won't leak.

But good to have a spare in case it does.  There is a bit of sealer around the oil channel at the top.  I did add a little sealer the 1st time I reused it but haven't done it others since.

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/10/08 at 13:57:01

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 12/10/08 at 14:02:55

How many holes does it take to fill in the albert hall? Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/10/08 at 14:23:43

As you may know the little dimples act just like those found on a Golf Ball, makes a cushion of air at the intake floor..

All this is to help speed up the intake charge as the intake is really to large for the size of the valves and the low lift of the cam, you think it has low end power now, try this and it will improve alot, and wont hinder power in the upper rpm range, in fact it helps that also..
I used a little longer stud so it sticks up into the JB-Weld to lock it in place no matter how many heat cycles it see's...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/10/08 at 23:01:07

Im with you on the dimples, but what kind of toll did you use to make them?

I used a little longer stud so it sticks up into the JB-Weld to lock it in place no matter how many heat cycles it see's...

Stud? Where? If I go in there I want to not need to go back.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/11/08 at 09:44:44

The head has a stud in the front and back that stays in it when the head is removed,,, it sticks up into the intake port, I just got one what was a little longer so it gave the JB-Weld an anchor along with the notches on the port floor I made... And I used a welding rod that I bent the tip 90* and right as the JB-Weld was getting real thick I simply poked the dots

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 12/11/08 at 09:53:13

Okay, you roughed the floor up in there, then put JB weld down, then poked dents in it as it set up.
Any chance of the JB weld getting old & cracking & winding up IN the cylinder?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 12/11/08 at 10:18:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/11/08 at 09:53:13:
Okay, you roughed the floor up in there, then put JB weld down, then poked dents in it as it set up.
Any chance of the JB weld getting old & cracking & winding up IN the cylinder?

Not that I would think... I put it all down at one time so no layers to separate, I cleaned the port very good, heated the head up to a little over 100* and rub'd a little on the floor to get it on real good like, put in the rest and kept it nice and warm until it started setting up.

I have heard of others having it brake loose but you know some people wont mix it real good, or clean real good or leave thin areas that can brake loose.... I did as good of a job to make sure it stays in place over the years as I could...

I have used JB-Weld to seal up an exhaust manifold on a Pontiac 445 one time , it had warped so bad the new gasket wouldnt seal, so I put some JB in the gap and let setup for a day... sold the car 2 years later and it was dark in color but sealed up with no leaks..

Well see.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 12/11/08 at 21:52:39

I fixed a seal surface that had been fluid cut on a frac pump with JB weld.Frac pumps operate at pressures high eniough to Fracture the formation downhole in oilwells, so they put up a lot of PSI. As soon as that pump came back from that job they pulled the fluid end of the  pump off & sent it to be repaired. Welded up & machined.So, yea, the method of "wetting" the surface with the JB weld( the Very Clean surface) & then applying on top of that is important. It is the way I do all epoxy work. Depending on application, I may use more or less hardener. In the intake I would use a little less, hoping it would never get brittle.

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #24 - 12/12/08 at 06:11:45

I bought an LS for spares that had been lying for three years, the guy said that the engine was shot that it needed a new piston as it was pumping the oil out of the head which I thought was strange, anyway when I got it home I found that there was plenty compression but the oil was coming out of the head cover bolt on the right hand side aft beside the camshaft it was stripped, I pulled the bolt and put a wooden plug in there and she started up and ran perfect so now I am thinking of restoring it if I can fix the bolt hole without having to buy a new cylinder If I took the head off and filled the stripped bolt hole with J.B. weld and drilled and taped it would the J. B. be strong enough to stand torquing the cover

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 12/12/08 at 08:13:13

Becare there Kenny, one of those bolts also serves as a oil passage.
If you plug the wrong one, you'll starve the head for oil.

WWW   IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/12/08 at 09:09:47

kennycreed wrote on 12/12/08 at 06:11:45:
If I took the head off and filled the stripped bolt hole with J.B. weld and drilled and taped it would the J. B. be strong enough to stand torquing the cover

NO !................. drill it out and tap it, install a HeliCoil and reinstall the bolt.

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #27 - 12/12/08 at 10:02:37

can I helicoil small enough for a 8mm bolt if I can It's definitely the answer,cheers

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #28 - 12/12/08 at 10:14:56

I see a helicoil kit on ebay for M8 X 1.25 would this do the job I have never used helicoil before is it reasonably straight forward,,all the best,,kenny

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/12/08 at 14:02:08

Just drill and tap the next size up and install if room permits for the next size up...

From a few times I've used it they are better than the original alum taped holes...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil plug and Cam Chain oh NO !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.