Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drive pully Nut #$@%$#** (Read 133 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Drive pully Nut #$@%$#**
11/09/08 at 14:24:59

Hi guys ,I'm having one heck of a job trying to get the drive pully nut off, I'm beginning to think it's LHT ,is it?
I have applied copius amounts of WD40 ,applied heat,all to no avail.
I'm going to have a late lunch and have one more go at it before I use a cold chisle.  Any ideas guy's ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Re: Drive pully Nut #$@%$#**
Reply #1 - 11/09/08 at 14:32:40

I don't recall mine being that difficult to remove, maybe use an impact for removal? But..I believe it's right hand thread so maybe that's why it's not coming off.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 11/09/08 at 14:35:36

If you are talking about the forward pully that the belt goes around, it is standard righty tighty lefty loosey, I know because I just removed it a couple of days ago on the FireLizard.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 11/09/08 at 16:45:20

i had a heck of a time getting mine off. ended up bending a spoke and breaking the rear pulley. good times.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Drive pully Nut ,It's off,new problem
Reply #4 - 11/09/08 at 17:14:20

Ok I got the bloody thing off, I used an 1 1/4 " socket with a 18" breaker bar and a 3 foot exstention steel tube,and my brother in law on the rear brake.
Now the next trick is getting the engine out,wires are all disconected,
engine bolts all out,it moves freely,but I gotta rest up and have some wheaties before trying to lift that bugger out,maybe some thin rope around the jug, any one out there know the trick to it?
I would rather use finess than brute force seeing I have more of the former,and less of the later.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #5 - 11/09/08 at 17:19:56

No real tricks to offer from here. Pulling my engine out went very easily and very quickly. Putting it back in and getting the bolts through while moving the engine around proved to be a bit more difficult. I already had the head and head cover off when I pulled the engine, don't know if that's what made it so much easier.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/09/08 at 19:19:03

88pagan wrote on 11/09/08 at 17:19:56:
No real tricks to offer from here. Pulling my engine out went very easily and very quickly. Putting it back in and getting the bolts through while moving the engine around proved to be a bit more difficult. I already had the head and head cover off when I pulled the engine, don't know if that's what made it so much easier.

Well dang, I only wanted to take the head off to do a valve job,but in the clymer manual it says you cant get the head off without taking the engine out. I have all the bolts out of the head cover but it aint moving
eather, and that is something I don't want to use a hammer on.
I will study the book some more and have a go in the morning.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/10/08 at 09:46:21

Mick,
   You didn't say so I have to ask.  

Did you bend down the tab of the locking washer when you were trying to remove the nut???   Without it bent down, you would have a real real real hard time getting the nut off.    

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/10/08 at 13:06:20

mick wrote on 11/09/08 at 17:14:20:
engine bolts all out,it moves freely,but I gotta rest up and have some wheaties before trying to lift that bugger out,maybe some thin rope around the jug, any one out there know the trick to it?
I would rather use finess than brute force seeing I have more of the former,and less of the later.

Here is a trick I used while building/rebuilding HD cycles. I used a large piece of foam that I had used for camping. A layer of blankets would probably work for this too. Take most of the bolts out, but leave the motor secure enough to lay the bike over on the padding. Take the rest of the bolts out after padding under the motor or frame as needed. The motor and frame are then 2 pieces on the padding. Set the frame up and the motor is out. Just reverse the procedure to put the motor back in. Hope this helps.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #9 - 11/10/08 at 13:41:42

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 11/10/08 at 09:46:21:
Mick,
   You didn't say so I have to ask.  

Did you bend down the tab of the locking washer when you were trying to remove the nut???   Without it bent down, you would have a real real real hard time getting the nut off.    

Yes I did,I read that in the manuel.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 11/10/08 at 13:46:59

beck wrote on 11/10/08 at 13:06:20:
mick wrote on 11/09/08 at 17:14:20:

Here is a trick I used while building/rebuilding HD cycles. I used a large piece of foam that I had used for camping. A layer of blankets would probably work for this too. Take most of the bolts out, but leave the motor secure enough to lay the bike over on the padding. Take the rest of the bolts out after padding under the motor or frame as needed. The motor and frame are then 2 pieces on the padding. Set the frame up and the motor is out. Just reverse the procedure to put the motor back in. Hope this helps.

A very good idea Beck ,the problem there is, space, not enough room to lay it down,I cant back it out into the main building because there is a huge hoist just outside the door,and that will be there until my B/in law finishes his project, ( about two months)

mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/10/08 at 13:59:31

beck wrote on 11/10/08 at 13:06:20:

Great idea beck, my back thanks you.   Smiley

must be awfull to have to work in a closet.
Take all that you can take off, then claim bad back and get your brother to lift it out for you   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive pully Nut #$@%$#**

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.