Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhuast pipe discoloration ? (Read 85 times)
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Exhuast pipe discoloration ?
11/09/08 at 12:51:35

Noticed that the exhaust has started to discolor primaraly along the elbow area near where it attaches to the engine. Is this normal or is something causing this that I need to take a loook at?  I did notice today as i was installing my new pipe today that one of the nuts on mount area up near the engine was loose. This is an 50  S40 with 7000 miles. Also after finally getting the new pipe mounted I went for a test ride and noticed a couple backfires mostly at the lower rpm's seemed to dissappear thye more I rode. Checked to make sure I tightened all connections as best I could and also did use a sheet metal shim where the exhaust attached to the pipe.   appreciate any comments. Thank you

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Re: Exhuast pipe discoloration ?
Reply #1 - 11/09/08 at 13:25:12

yup, sounds like a Savage! get used to it and Welcome!   Wink

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 11/09/08 at 13:25:21

The discoloration is a typical side effect of the extreme lean condition from the factory to meet EPA standards.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 11/09/08 at 14:33:24

Some copper wire wound around the pipe close as you can to the head will delay the discoloration,polish it first and make a nead job of winding it ,just like a sailor's rope.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/09/08 at 15:43:48

Eyeore - that discoloration is seen by many riders as a sure sign of a long rider and some even see it as kind of a badge of honor.

It will drift from light to dark golden and then will shift to blue - continuing to darken as the miles roll by to a deep blue/black coloration.

It is simply the chrome on the pipe responding to the heat generated that close to the fire raging inside the engine on the power stroke. I am sure you know just how hot the motor can get

If you dislike it - a lot of elbow grease and Blue Job will remove it - but it is an endless task

My exhaust pipe at the bend is will into the blue/black phase. And I kind of like it!!!

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #5 - 11/09/08 at 16:38:06

eyeore302000 wrote on 11/09/08 at 12:51:35:
Noticed that the exhaust has started to discolor primaraly along the elbow area near where it attaches to the engine. Is this normal or is something causing this that I need to take a loook at?  I did notice today as i was installing my new pipe today that one of the nuts on mount area up near the engine was loose. This is an 50  S40 with 7000 miles. Also after finally getting the new pipe mounted I went for a test ride and noticed a couple backfires mostly at the lower rpm's seemed to dissappear thye more I rode. Checked to make sure I tightened all connections as best I could and also did use a sheet metal shim where the exhaust attached to the pipe.   appreciate any comments. Thank you

You did the right thing by tightening the nuts on the exhaust header as a starting point.  

The discoloration is an indicator of excessive heat, often the  result of the lean fuel mixture on stock S40's, but it can have other sources.   Have you removed the brass plug and adjusted your idle mixture? A richer mix may limit the extent of blueing and should also cut down on backfiring that occurs when you roll off the throttle on deceleration.  

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Reply #6 - 11/10/08 at 05:55:26

I have not yet made any adjustments to the carb as of yet. I however have discovered that lancer resides in my neck of the woods so as soon as time permits I am going to conact him in hopes of getting an education in tuning. I appreciate all the replys and for the record I did look at my 04 savage as well and noticed the same effect just not as prominent but then again I have not been riding that bike quite as much ( poor thing) LOL. Thanks again

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:15:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhuast pipe discoloration ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.