Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
cone filter (Read 711 times)
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cone filter
11/05/08 at 10:41:45

will the cone filter make any kind of audible difference like it would in a car?

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: cone filter
Reply #1 - 11/05/08 at 12:55:41

I hear a fast chirp with mine under acceleration.  Other than that, not really.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 11/05/08 at 14:25:17

Yes its louder

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 11/05/08 at 15:32:02

I can hear a lot more sound when idling and also some more while under throttle, also it did make the exhaust sound deeper and louder. None are bad though.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/05/08 at 19:03:12

should i go with k&n or could i just go with something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150305113426&ih...

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/05/08 at 19:26:27

I would be wary of purchasing from flightsimshop or any seller from that vicinity (Land O' Lakes, Florida).  There are a couple of well documented cases of them being less than savory sellers.  I purchased my cone filter from Lancer.  I highly recommend doing business with him.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/05/08 at 19:30:37

how much from lancer?

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #7 - 11/05/08 at 20:14:53

In spite of all the bad press that seller has rec'd, I took the chance and purchased that same filter. Lancer wasn't selling them at the time or I would have gotten it from him. The sale went fine and I got the item right away but from most of the posts it appears I was one of the rare cases. Take the chance if you want or spend the extra bucks and get the k+n. The quality of this one isn't like that of the k+n, I just wanted to save some $ at the time. The only thing I don't like about the quality is the part that mounts can be detached from the cone section. Other than that it's good. Like the other posters, I notice a little chirp and the suction sound is increased when you accelerate.  But, there's nothing like that sound of a well breathing engine if you ask me.  If you can wait a few weeks I'll sell you mine for a discounted price. I'm going to buy the k+n so it matches the one I put on my breather hose.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/06/08 at 06:30:54

For anyone looking at using the inexpensive cone filters that are typically found on ebay for $19-29 each, they can be purchased from Speedmoto.com for just $10 each.
The stock carb uses the 57mm ID size, and if you have a 36 or 38mm VM carb then you need a 62mm ID size.

If you do not see the specific size you want listed at the time you go to their website then email them and thell them what you need.  They are pretty good about taking care of business, do not overcharge for shipping and are trustworthy.  I have never had a problem with them.

If you want a K&N for the stock carb, you might try this one...

http://www.4filters.com/Universal-Rubber-Filter-2-14FLG-3-12B-2T-4H_p_3-2769....
It is only $28.99 for a small cone that will fit in the small space we have on a stock bike.

The price on the cones that fit the VM carbs is double of this one, why I don't know but that's the way it is.

IP Logged
Snowbum
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oklahoma City
Reply #9 - 11/06/08 at 08:20:56

I know this will be a silly question, but I am guessing the cone gets much more "breathability" to the engine over the stock air filter box?

If there is notable performance with a cone, and minimal work, I might try something like this.

Scott

snowbum78   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/06/08 at 15:30:53

how much will the gas mileage be affected???

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/06/08 at 16:50:05

LANCER wrote on 11/06/08 at 06:30:54:
If you want a K&N for the stock carb, you might try this one...

http://www.4filters.com/Universal-Rubber-Filter-2-14FLG-3-12B-2T-4H_p_3-2769....
It is only $28.99 for a small cone that will fit in the small space we have on a stock bike.

The price on the cones that fit the VM carbs is double of this one, why I don't know but that's the way it is.

i bought this filter and i like it, but the only bad thing is that i had to lose the top cover for my battery and now dont have any way of putting my tool cover on. its ok cause i plan on buying a fork bag for my tools. i just gotta figure out a way to clean up the area where the tool cover went.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #12 - 11/06/08 at 20:14:08

Savagegreasemonkey- I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow of my setup. I used a couple of plumbing fittings as I have on other bikes and it came out real good. Cleaned up that whole area real well, entire battery box is intact, and the filter is still removable without taking anything off the bike. Stay tuned till tomorrow...

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #13 - 11/07/08 at 10:48:09

I guess it doesn't really look as good in the pic as I thought it did. The point is, I easily moved the filter down and out so the battery box is still intact and the tool bag and cover are still the same.

IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/07/08 at 15:07:00

good idea. i guess i should look around and see if i can find something somewhere similar to make that setup. it would be nice to find a tube that was pre bent at that angle so you could just use one piece instead of two.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cone filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.