Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spare keys? (Read 211 times)
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Spare keys?
11/05/08 at 05:46:04

When I bought this bike, the guy couldn't find me the spare keys he had put where ever and lost.
No biggie

But now, I would like to get myself an extra set to have JUST in case. I would like both the fork lock key and main key.

Question: Do you guys know where I can get new keys and could I be able to get them cut at a local hardware place (lowes,HD, etc) or do they have to be cut at a certain place? Do you think such hardware places would carry these type of blank keys?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Spare keys?
Reply #1 - 11/05/08 at 06:08:56

Your local hardware supermarket uses one of those new-fangled machines that's supposed to be idiot proof.  HA!!  We'll show them!  In my experience they are marginal at best, the keys I've had made using the automatic machine have required a bit of wiggling to work.

For just a few cents more I can go to my Local Locksmith and have a key cut by a craftsman.  He has the correct blanks.  He cuts with a machine that requires a little more skill, but which produces far superior copies.  Do you want to save a buck and chance not being able to unlock your forks?

WWW   IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #2 - 11/05/08 at 06:25:18

if its not much more expensive, I'd by far go to the lock smith.

So what should i do now, just call up local lock smiths and see if they have my keys and if they can cut them?

IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #3 - 11/05/08 at 06:27:01

I just saw the link you slip in there Smiley

I gotta find one of those kinds of places....mmmm....any one from the DE area willing to help?  Wink

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 11/05/08 at 06:44:31

Right on man.
Peifer Safe & Lock cut had the blanks  & a good selection of key rings. The fork locked worked about twice and then it won't engage so I ignored it. I don't even know where the key for the fork is now.

Paladin. wrote on 11/05/08 at 06:08:56:
... For just a few cents more I can go to my Local Locksmith and have a key cut by a craftsman.  He has the correct blanks.  He cuts with a machine that requires a little more skill, but which produces far superior copies.  Do you want to save a buck and chance not being able to unlock your forks?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 11/05/08 at 07:03:36

Check out http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks4.html. Call to place your order and the key blanks should be in your hands pretty quick. I've ordered from them before, with no problems at all.

FSO
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 11/05/08 at 11:54:23

somebody posted a list of blanks that work, suffering a bad case of C.R.S. right now  but maybe later i'll find it,

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 11/05/08 at 13:10:28

LOLOLOLOL .... Sluggo ...."suffering a bad case of C.R.S. right now"

I thought I was the only one that used that line  Cheesy    damit now I gota come up with a new one.    Wink

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #8 - 11/05/08 at 13:17:56

sluggo wrote on 11/05/08 at 11:54:23:
somebody posted a list of blanks that work, suffering a bad case of C.R.S. right now  but maybe later i'll find it,  

Is that similare to C.R.I. ?  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 11/05/08 at 14:00:32

sluggo wrote on 11/05/08 at 11:54:23:

'Twas I.   I searched my posts and found it:

Ilco does make the exact correct blank for the Suzuki Savage: X179 SUZ12  http://www.mrlock.com/eshop/locks/SUZ12.html

Speaking of CRS -- it was only THEN did I remember that the information is stamped on my motorcycle key that was in my pocket all along.  (When making a spare key, you use the spare key and place the original key on your keyboard.)

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 11/05/08 at 14:11:02

If I need a key I get it from the Suzuki dealer,the quickest way

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 11/05/08 at 19:21:11

I have a special place for the spare keys:  On the keyring for the trailer locks in the glove box of my tow vehicle.

This way, I can still ride even if I stupidly forget to bring the regular bike keys with me.

Guess how I figured it out???

(Riding in Colorado is fun -- riding across Kansas and the eastern half of Colorado is not.  Thanks to the trailer, I was full of energy and enthusiasm when we made it to the mountains!)

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #12 - 11/05/08 at 20:23:47

The fork key is the one that my locksmith had to order, It's a german key or some such.. Several IGN keys will work, yamaha, suzuki... I had 3 of each made.. just because, better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 11/05/08 at 22:36:36

The fork lock is tough, nothing sold in America works without changing the smaller slot on the back side of the key to a square bottom format like the original german blank had.

You can start with an Axxess #93 blank, get the overlong thing cut to match the existing key blank (indexing both off the stop shoulder up near the round end) with the overlong waste stock sticking out the end of the newly formed key like an unnecessary metal blob right at the end.

Cut/grind the blob off and take a fine detail file and form the end of the newly made key to match your original blank for rounded form and length.  

Then go pick a correct width/tooth form cutsaw blade and hand draw cut the small tapered bottom slot to a square format.  Draw cutting is putting a tooth or two at the tip of the new sharp relatively long coarse cutsaw blade into the slot (pick a coarse blade that will be as wide as the cut needs to be to match the old key's slot) then pull the blade to you by hand, ripping a single curl scratch cut into the tapered shoulder of the existing slot.  Repeat as many times as needed.  

Scritch-rip, scritch-rip, scritch-rip ....

Hand skill is needed to do this -- you can file it by hand but it would take like forever with a thin enough file.  You can dremel it, but control is tough using a square bottom rotating cutter and the wheels aren't the right width unless stacked (and they load up quick with the soft brass).  Hand draw cutting with the correct width and tooth form of cutsaw blade is much quicker and cleaner.

Repeat the hand draw cut motion as needed, it goes quicker than you would think as all you need to is create enough "square bottom" to the slot to allow a form plate/pin to freely go down the slot which then allows the shape of the key machine cut form to actuate the tumblers.  You only have to flat bottom away the high side of the tapered slot that is there already, not much in the way of additional depth is really needed after the correct width and square bottom form is achieved.

==================================

Now, as soon as somebody finds a correct blank for this fork lock we won't have to do all the fine fiddly work on the slot and tip, essentially reforming the whole durn thing because the Axxess #93 blank isn't really quite the right blank for the job.  

The Germans did this on purpose, you know -- revenge on their failed Japanese allies and on us Yanks for WWII !!   Scritch-rip, scritch-rip, scritch-rip ....  hee hee -- that'll fix them!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #14 - 11/06/08 at 05:38:21

Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:15:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spare keys?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.