Send Topic Print
Oil leak (Read 131 times)
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Oil leak
11/04/08 at 05:26:01

I need some advice on what to look for. I've got a oil leak on the left side of the bike. I haven't pulled the belt cover, but it appears to be coming from the drive sprocket shaft area. Can anyone give me some information on what I maybe looking for. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil leak
Reply #1 - 11/04/08 at 08:37:08

Well, popping that cover off the belt is likely to be a good move, if oil is coming out the bottom & nothing is dripping down from above it. An oil leak here isnt something Ive seen. Maybe I missed the post, but I dont remember any oil leak issues in the belt drive area. Cleaning it up & making it easy to find always makes sense, unless its just Bleeding & you dont need to. How much of a leak you got there? OIl on the belt isnt a good idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/04/08 at 08:55:19

Do you mean you got a drip on the ground in that area?

oil seeping into the area around the starter will drain thru the cover there.

could be a couple of things...
If someone pulled the starter and didn't put it back right, the seal on the starter could be leaking.

Any oil leaking from the cylinder or head into this area will come out here.

WWW   IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #3 - 11/04/08 at 10:18:14

Sorry I wasn't more specific. The oil is dripping on the ground when parked. There doesn't seem to be any on the belt. Thanks for your help, I'll pull the cover and check further. I'll be back when I find the problem and post the problem and repairs made or to beg for more help.
Thanks everyone

IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #4 - 11/04/08 at 13:56:52

My blet cover was covered in oil from the "famous oil leak" you fix that already?

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #5 - 11/05/08 at 04:49:03

l ready fixed the Oil plug leak after looking further it appears the oil leak is on the right side somewhere. Just running across this area,to the low point and then dripping on the ground. Did notice that when I stated the bike there must have been some oil on the exhaust. it smoked and you could see the smoke and smell the oil burning off.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 11/05/08 at 07:13:54

What about the oil fiter cover O-ring? It's easy to check without dropping the oil. You can remove the cover when the bike is cold with minimal oil loss by just keeping it on the side stand. First thing in the morning is best.

Tough thing about detecting where an oil leak is coming from is gravity. I would have never be able to pinpoint the head plug leak without reading these forums because it get's all over the place. Gravity pulls the oil to the left when the bike is parked on the stand.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

FSO
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/06/08 at 10:16:32

Also check the Speedo cable at the tranny.....  

If I recall correctly,  there is a drain hole in the starter "black hole" area that drains into the sprocket area.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:21:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.