Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
it's my first winter with my savage (Read 124 times)
charliehart1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

it's my first winter with my savage
11/03/08 at 07:40:05

is there anything I need to do to the bike before I put it in the garage for hibernation.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: it's my first winter with my savage
Reply #1 - 11/03/08 at 08:25:38

The short answer is no, because there is usually a warm (30-40 degree) day every other week here in the New England, for example; so, you get out and ride for an hour and that will charge up the battery and move the fluids.  If you really plan to hibernate for 5 months, then 1) remove battery and put it on a trickle charger 2) put some stabilizer in a nearly full gas tank (It my opnion that empty tanks rust quicker, 3) place the sav where you can get to it and move it back and forth for a few minutes per months so the breaks don't freeze up.

Of course you can also buy a lot of bling, make some mods and see the bike often while helping the economy. Cheesy

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 11/03/08 at 08:28:09

Put Sta-Bil gas treatment in the tank and ride it on warm dry days every 2-6 weeks, that can avoid carburator and battery problems in spring.  Get the engine up to normal operating temperature to recharge battery and drive condensed water out of the systems.  Don't let the battery go unused and unwatered, and dumb battery chargers will cook the battery when left on continuously.  

Someone here puts on a cover and fogs the bike with WD40 to ward off rust - that sounds good if it doesn't dissolve any plastics.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/03/08 at 09:40:36

I put SEAFOAM in the gas and run the bike 5 miles,I charge the battery every 2 months on 2 amps over night.batterys have always lasted me 4 or 5 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 11/03/08 at 14:44:36

Trippah wrote on 11/03/08 at 08:25:38:
The short answer is no, because there is usually a warm (30-40 degree) day every other week here in the New England, for example; so, you get out and ride for an hour and that will charge up the battery and move the fluids.  If you really plan to hibernate for 5 months, then 1) remove battery and put it on a trickle charger 2) put some stabilizer in a nearly full gas tank (It my opnion that empty tanks rust quicker, 3) place the sav where you can get to it and move it back and forth for a few minutes per months so the breaks don't freeze up.

Of course you can also buy a lot of bling, make some mods and see the bike often while helping the economy. Cheesy

dont' take no bling to bob it.....  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 11/03/08 at 15:52:50

Really, how about them diamond encrusted forward controls Ed L sells. Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 11/04/08 at 12:29:02

i've got a solid gold tank sitting around somewhere if ya need some more bling  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › it's my first winter with my savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.