Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lancers camshaft testimonials and install querry (Read 284 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Lancers camshaft testimonials and install querry
11/02/08 at 17:09:14

In the market place Lancer opened thread about camshafts and said to ask the people who have one for their input.
Well I'm asking,  I want to know what difference I might expect from it.

And also the Clymers mentions that you might not be able to install without pulling the motor due to close tolerances with the frame.

Anyone have trouble installing theirs?

I have stock carb jetted to 55 pilot and 150 main, half spacer.
Dyna muffler and K&N filter. Dont want to make any changes  as it is running good and want opinions if the performance cam will add all it is suppose to with this setup as is.

Thanks all, Seviersavage

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Lancers camshaft testimonials and install quer
Reply #1 - 11/02/08 at 17:44:10

I wish I had the time & energy to REALLY [play with it. Id make it stock & go thru each mod & measure the performance change.
I added the Supertrapp & did the carb jets. Cool return on investment.
Later, I did the cam. I think it added about 1/2 the boost I got from the TRapp & jets. Im glad I dropped the $$. There was no time involved, because I was doing the cam chain innyway. Id do it again.

I think I need to do more carb tinkering, airflow in & out work, since others have torquier rides. Im missing it somewhere, but it aint the cams fault.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 11/02/08 at 19:24:03

[infomercial style testimony] Before the Lancer cam I couldn't even lift the stock front end on my 2000 Suzuki LS650 Savage, now, thanks to Lancer's camshaft, a Jardine, muffler and slight re-jet, I can lift the heavy Girder front end I now have about an inch from fifteen miles an hour in second gear just by rolling back hard on the throttle. Thank you Lancer, I will recommend your camshaft to all my friends. [/infomercial style testimony]  Wink Wink (this testimonial was given without paid endorsement from the sponsor.)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #3 - 11/03/08 at 00:58:43

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 11/02/08 at 19:24:03:
[infomercial style testimony]I can lift the heavy Girder front end I now have about an inch from fifteen miles an hour in second gear just by rolling back hard on the throttle.[/infomercial style testimony]  Wink Wink (this testimonial was given without paid endorsement from the sponsor.)

Are you really sure it is a wheelie and not just your girder taking out all the slack and topping out with a noticeable clunk? If it wheelies in second at 15 mph it should wheelie in third and fourth at, say, 50 mph because there's a bit more torque at those revs.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #4 - 11/03/08 at 10:42:21

I am positive.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #5 - 11/03/08 at 12:27:32

Yonuh Adisi,
Your response was what promted me to start this thread, I'm hoping there are others with cool experiences to share.

Did you have any trouble with clearances when you installed? Or maybe the motor was out when you did it?
Seviersavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/03/08 at 12:47:15

I was able to take the cover off while in the frame.
Although it took some practice while clean and dry to figure out how to do it.
Some additional space can be gotten by removing the mounting bolts and letting the engine drop into the frame.  The engine can be tipped forward to give you lots of room, like when putting in the center retaining bolt.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 11/03/08 at 12:47:25

Nope, I didn't have any problems, but if you remove the bottom and top motor mounts just leaving the rear mount on, you can pivot the engine down about an inch or so and you will have plenty of room.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/03/08 at 18:45:21

I didnt drop the motor & it all went in easy enough. I did mark the brackets, left & right, just because I didnt want to have to think going back. Remember to use a piece of cardboard & put an outline of the case on it & slice it to hold each screw. Some have a rubber coated washer, some dont, some longer, etc, so just tossin them in a bucket will create a puzzle going back together. If you have an impact your life will be made easier. There are 12volt impacts for about 50 bucks.I think a compressor is mandatory for bike owners anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #9 - 11/05/08 at 02:30:27

I installed my Lancer cam along with a lot of other mods including ported head, raised compression, Raask exhaust, VM carb, and K&N.

It compliments those others mods beautifully and I can tell that the delivery from the cam is very nice and even across the revs - the cam doesn't give you a more 'peaky' delivery, just smooth and strong across the normal range.

As for installation, I found I could remove the cover and head with the engine in place quite easily, but not quite get the barrel off, even dropping the motor in its mounts.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/05/08 at 09:40:29

KwakNut wrote on 11/05/08 at 02:30:27:
I installed my Lancer cam along with a lot of other mods including ported head, raised compression, Raask exhaust, VM carb, and K&N.

It compliments those others mods beautifully and I can tell that the delivery from the cam is very nice and even across the revs - the cam doesn't give you a more 'peaky' delivery, just smooth and strong across the normal range.

As for installation, I found I could remove the cover and head with the engine in place quite easily, but not quite get the barrel off, even dropping the motor in its mounts.

What do u use to raise the compression?And how do u ported the head?

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 11/05/08 at 09:54:14

Can I ask how long it took everyone to drop the engine and replace the cam?

And how long it might take to fix the head plug while doing that?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 11/05/08 at 10:08:07

I can do it in an hour, but that is with a lot of practice. My advice would be, don't worry about how long it will take, just go slow and pay attention, keep a service manual (Clymers or SSM) open near you the whole time. When you try to rush and beat the clock is when you end up really messing something up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/05/08 at 11:14:23

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 11/05/08 at 10:08:07:
I can do it in an hour, but that is with a lot of practice. My advice would be, don't worry about how long it will take, just go slow and pay attention, keep a service manual (Clymers or SSM) open near you the whole time. When you try to rush and beat the clock is when you end up really messing something up.

YOU DID THE ENGINE IN AN HOUR?!?!?

I salute you! Smiley

Takes me an hour to find my tools  Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/05/08 at 14:25:46

1 hour actually sounds like a lot ... but of course I spend it looking for my beer.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lancers camshaft testimonials and install querry

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.