Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie questions on a used 2007 s40 (Read 161 times)
atilla457
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie questions on a used 2007 s40
11/02/08 at 13:37:05

Hi there,

I recently got my license and have been shopping for a used beginners bike.  s40 is one of my choices.  (i devoured this site last nite, lots of useful information.)

Today I went to see a 2007 s40.  overall it was ok, but I have a few questions.  What do you think?  Are these show stoppers or not?

1) I told the seller not to warm up the engine before I arrive.  so it was a cold engine.  After doing some physical check, we turn on the ignition.  did not start the engine yet.  for 1~2 minutes i verified all the switches, lights, turn signals, etc. are working.  then I tried to start the engine.  I cranked for 1.5 seconds, it didn't start.  then i tried again, it started weak and then 1.5s later, it went silent.  The owner said he never had this kind of behavior before.  he turned off the ignition, waited a few minutes then he cranked 2~3 seconds and it started.

I think the battery is dead.  Reading thru the forms, i saw a few posts about this issue.  The weather was not that cold, (california, morning weather. probably 50s).  What do you think?  what could be some issues that i may be facing, even after replacing the battery?

2) After starting it, I revved up the engine at neutral.  After a quarter turn of the throttle, the engine revved up fine, but I felt a lot of vibration,shaking on the seat.  Very similar to the electric massagers you buy at electronics stores.  I didn't feel anything particular while riding it.

Do you think this shaking at neutral is an issue?  is it normal for this bike?  (I don't remember anything this much during MSF class.)  

3) While steering at low speeds, I had a feeling the steering bars wanted to fall on the direction of the turn.  For example, while turning left, I had to counter-hold it.  Unfortunately I haven't tried turning right (which I should've).

Again, is this normal?

4) On a straight road, I changed from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.  The engine ran but wasn't happy, it sounded like the rpm was not high enough.

5) S40 does not have much of gauges, i.e. no oil light, no over temp light, etc.  are these concerning?

Thank you,

atilla457
Other than that, it seemed fine.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Newbie questions on a used 2007 s40
Reply #1 - 11/02/08 at 14:06:02

On the cold start, did you have the choke on and were you giving it any throttle??  The Choke is actually a fuel enrichment system.  On my bike , if I choke it, I can't touch the throttle.  But with no choke, I can.    My Honda 250 was the same way.  It also had an enrichment system.  On my older bikes with a real choke, throttle helped.....  and of course I had the older bike longer so I keep OOPS'ing and giving it a tweak of throttle with the choke on.....  

The LS650 does vibrate.  It's a big cylinder, and there is only one.   If you had the 125cc bikes in the MSF, they probably were singles,  but the LS650 's CC is over 5 times the displacement, so the minor vibrations would be 5 times as much.  If you had the Honda 250's, they are twins so they are smoother.  

You don't say at what speed you shifted at (2nd to 3rd) ??  It matters....      

As for the gauges,  yea, the bike really should have a tach (so should the Honda Rebel).  It is one of the reasons I put one on my LS650.   It is easy to shift at a low rpm especially after riding a smaller bike.  But, as with most engines with quad valves,  a little Higher RPM is fine.   Anything below 2000 rpm and the bike can lugg if you try to accelerate.   On my bike,  2500 is ok, but 3000 is the sweet spot for jumping on it.

Next,  was the bike totally stock???   If so, there is a high probability that the carb was not tweaked and is rather lean.   The smile factor goes up with a sight adjustment of the mixtures to a less lean condition.  You don't even have to go to the "dialed in" or rich coondition,  just a little helps a bunch.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 11/02/08 at 15:08:07

With regard to the handlebars flopping, the Savage has a bit of a rake. It's slightly "chopped" so it may take a bit getting used to. Felt fine to me when I first hopped on mine, but I was cutting the front ends off found bicycles to chop my own when I was a kid. Also, if they're drag bars, or "Straight", those are a bit harder to steer than buckhorns in my opinion.

Before my battery died, I did notice that the horn sounded weak. Thought that my horn was heading toward the rubbish bin, but should have seen the obvious; battery was dying. So, hit the horn.

Check for oil leaks. Really. Take a ride for 10 minutes or so. Get it good and hot with a lot of revs. Then park it, and look to see if there's any oil around the cylinder. Look between the fins, and up under the cylinder covers.

What TMack mentioned about the choke, yeah mine too. I always pull the choke out before I turn the key, and do so with no throttle at all. Give it about 10-15 seconds after she fires, and push it almost all the way in for another 5 seconds or so, then all the way in. Now you can give it throttle.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/02/08 at 15:47:09

Mine has a small leak where the clutch actuator passes thru the rigth case. Not a big deal, but people should look there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
atilla457
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/02/08 at 17:41:31

Thanks for your responses.

Regarding cold start, we actually didn't pull the choke.  I was going to do it and reached my hand, but the owner said it doesn't need it.  I think he was just trying to show his bike.  I'm more concerned about the battery not being able to crank a third time. (Thinking of my cars, I never had to, but I think they can crank 5~10 times no problem.)

Switching from 2nd to 3rd, I didn't have time to look at the speedometer, my speed was probably 20~30mph's. Come to think of it now, it probably makes sense it's a big engine and my rpm wasn't high enough.

I checked the engine for leaks carefully, the seals were clean, mostly white.  I didn't run the engine for 10 minutes, so there is a risk there.

I read about the carb tweak in these forums.  I think everything is stock so I can at least improve it.

let me make him an offer tonight.  let's see what he comes with.

PS: Anybody in the bay area, ca?

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #5 - 11/03/08 at 08:20:24

how much for the bike?

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
atilla457
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/03/08 at 20:38:25

they were asking for ~$3300, but according to kbb there is some room to negotiate.  (I am thinking a fair price should be <$3000).

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/03/08 at 21:36:34

I don't see a worries here....cold needed choke,...lugging into third just wanted some more rpm,...front end flopping is just the extra rake, you'll adjust after a half hour of riding.  A bad battery is unlikely in a bike so new, maybe just low on charge or too thick oil grade for winter.
Checking the engine cold was very smart, your observations astute. I buy and sell bikes regularly and my test sequence is much like yours.  You've noted your concerns and have analyzed the problems you found well.  
Price is not bad, but use your original observations and concerns as negotiating points and get the best price you can.  
This the fourth Savage I've bought, most to fix up and resell, still riding my original after 18,000 miles.  They are good, simple, reliable bikes.  A few bugs, easy to fix.  If the physical size or top speed limit  of 90mph are not of concern, they can be a great ride.
Of course we are a little biased here.....
Best of luck to you.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Roadrunner17
YaBB Newbies

We are men of
action.  Lies
do not become us.

VA Chesapeake
Reply #8 - 11/05/08 at 06:17:18

You've received some good advice from others, I would endorse all of it.  The bike does not come equipped with a tach, but one can be installed if you want it.  Just remember that it is a single and does its best work at lower RPM than duals; it will feel different when shifting but has tons of low-end torque, unlike the twins.

The starting/battery issue is real, but it can be influenced by the type of riding you do, particularly if it is biased toward short (1-5 mile) rides; that often isn't enough running time to fully recharge the battery from start.  Review the earlier discussion of battery issues.

If you plan longer rides that'll probably be fine; if not just plan on occasionally pulling the battery to trickle some into it from time to time.  Or consider installing one of the rigs mentioned in that earlier thread to make trickle charging easier.

My own battery (suffers from the short-run condition) OE lasted 2 years before it was trash, without trickle-charging.  If it still has the OE battery I'd suggest replacing it outright with a sealed cell battery just to avoid unnecessary issues.

Enjoy it; it sounds like it can serve you well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:22:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie questions on a used 2007 s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.