Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve Springs to Stiff ? (Read 59 times)
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Valve Springs to Stiff ?
10/31/08 at 15:14:19

I've been thinking on why does the cam chain wear so fast on this motor.... looking at photos of things it looks to me the valve springs are large heavy wire type, also dual springs, this motor doesn't rev high enough to need a really stiff spring and it has a very mild cam.

You think that the springs are just way over kill and its putting to much strain on the chain ??

I'd like to see someone test the spring rate of these, maybe able to loose the inner spring to lighten the load...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Valve Springs to Stiff ?
Reply #1 - 10/31/08 at 17:24:26

I doubt that ... the cam chain design and location is crappy ... the oil supply to it also leaves much to be desired ... center location of cam chain and regular chain can work wonders ...
If a cam chain is on one side they send oil right to it through a cam chain tensioner oil passage on some of the newer bikes.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
mikestrikes
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/31/08 at 17:42:07

I know On my Kawasaki ZRX the chain is on the very outside left, the lower cam chain sprocket gets cover'd up to 3" deep in oil and gets oil'd from the top at the cams....
Some guys get up to 100,000 miles out of'm..

I'll just replace mine on the Savage every 15,000 miles as I can get them for $50 each...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/31/08 at 17:55:31

Yea eliminator 1000/900 motors too. the GS500 suzuki has in the middle and it never ever goes ... its a regular chain not the hyvo. GS500 has stiff springs and a 10.5 redline. A nighwhawk 650 has the same as savage type but its in the middle, and it had a bad tensioner design, but not a wearing chain.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:26:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Springs to Stiff ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.