Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cold starting problems (Read 183 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

cold starting problems
10/31/08 at 08:32:46

my savage runs great, but if it is below 40 overnight it just doesn't want to start. i could literaly drain my new big crank battery trying to start it but i eventually just give up, then later in the day when it's 50 degrees or so it will fire right up.
any advice ?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: cold starting problems
Reply #1 - 10/31/08 at 09:29:43

switch to a 10w-40 weight oil.  if that don't help, your battery may be weak...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #2 - 10/31/08 at 10:40:28

You are using your choke I'm sure, right?

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/31/08 at 14:38:25

i use 10 w 40 weight, i just put in a new Big Crank in MAY so it's not the battery and yes i do pull out the choke.
again today it wouldn't start in the morning and i really tried for a good while, but when i got home early from work  it fired up literally within a split second of hitting the starter button.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/31/08 at 14:50:34

Water in the gas?

I don't remember where I read it, someone reported freezing and blockage of the carb at greater than freezing temp.

Same as water not boiling at higher pressures, water will freeze in the venturi of the carb due to pressure drop.

WWW   IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #5 - 10/31/08 at 15:05:41

I had this SAME problem today. I kept cracking and after while the lights were going hardcore dimmer so I said f-it and drove the car to work. When I got back, I started it again (I was thinking about jumping it) but it started right up.

2 weeks ago when it was like 31 degrees out, it started with little cracking. It was 41 this morning

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 10/31/08 at 16:18:22

SEAFOAM will take out the moister if if thats what the problem is.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #7 - 10/31/08 at 17:40:03

franch wrote on 10/31/08 at 08:32:46:
my savage runs great, but if it is below 40 overnight it just doesn't want to start. i could literaly drain my new big crank battery trying to start it but i eventually just give up, then later in the day when it's 50 degrees or so it will fire right up.
any advice ?

Cold weather will make your fuel mix leaner. Try richening your idle mixture during the colder months.  If you've removed your brass plug on the idle mix screw, give it a half turn CCW before you start up. You might be borderline at 50 degrees and too lean at 40 degrees. Just a thought worth trying.  You may also have to raise your idle speed as well (on the left side of the bike) after you adjust the fuel mix.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/31/08 at 18:34:22

TRy 1/2 choke & dont touch the throttle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/01/08 at 04:31:13

ok then. i just turned idle mixture counter clockwise 1/2 turn and then pulled choke out half way and fired it up with out touching throttle.
it started right up !
but.... it was only 40 degrees last night. it's supposed to get in the 30's tonight so i'll try again tommorow morning.
thanks all !

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #10 - 11/01/08 at 06:40:29

Good to hear. Now that you have the idle mix set, you can try different combinations of choke (full/half) to see where the sweet spot is. When the warm weather returns, just remember to dial it back a half-turn since you'll be running pretty rich when the temps hit the 60's and 70's.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/01/08 at 18:51:44

lets not jump the gun . we'll see if it fires up on the 1st day of daylight savings, temps are to go down to 27 in central mass tonight
however I like the spirirt in wich suggestions like these have been given!
thanks again !
what a group !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/01/08 at 23:27:48

After it sopins over a few times at 1/2 choke, no luck, pull it oput the rest of the way, still, no throttle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #13 - 11/19/08 at 15:53:45

franch wrote on 11/01/08 at 04:31:13:
ok then. i just turned idle mixture counter clockwise 1/2 turn and then pulled choke out half way and fired it up with out touching throttle.
it started right up !
but.... it was only 40 degrees last night. it's supposed to get in the 30's tonight so i'll try again tommorow morning.
thanks all !

How did it go? I just tried to start it at its like 34 and no luck. Wouldnt start. I am trying to get it to my g/fs grandparents for the winter since I live in an apartment complex I am going to try to get it started tomorrow after work and see what happens

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 12/06/08 at 09:19:08

Hi Franch

I've been having a cold weather starting problem too.  This is the first year since we got ethonal in the gas.  I drilled a hole in the breather box (high side of parked bike) large enougth for a 5/16 hose ,1/4" inside the box is enougth, then left a pigtail hanging out about a foot long to squrit starter fluid in.   The pigtail tucks in under the fuel tank when not in use.  I miss our gasoline.

If I knew how to richen up the "CHOKE" system I would try that, but the inside of the Carb. is more that I can easlly figure out.  But I am sure tempted to take a good long look at it.

I hope it works for ya!

Mikes_camera_download_Oct_08_178__54_9_KB_002.JPG

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:24:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cold starting problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.