Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Safer Electrics. (Read 125 times)
John
Ex Member

Safer Electrics.
10/30/08 at 22:44:13

Another mod I've carried out to all my bikes is the fitting of an electric isolating switch.

I've never been impressed with the way the electric wires are tightly bunched up in all sorts of places on motor bikes.  Crammed into the headlight unit etc etc.  Space is limited on a bike I know so its a necessity. I am a car mechanic/electrician and some cars are just as bad.   Have heard of bikes/cars going up in flames caused by a short circuit..am not necessarily meaning Savages here but rather bikes/cars in general.

I fit a heavy duty isolating switch in the battery positive line.  These switches are the type which carry heavier currents such as that found in starter motor circuits.  Usually found in boat chandlers or maybe some auto electrical shops.  You'll need two lengths of heavy gauge cable...not thin 1mm wires..since when the starter is engaged a large current will flow through these wires.

Cut into the battery positive cable and join up the new switch cables.  The switch itself can be fitted in a location that suits you.  I've drilled a single hole and mounted mine in the right hand chrome battery cover where its easy to get to and operate.

When the switch is in the off position the only potentially live wire on the whole bike is the wire which runs from the battery positive to the isolating switch itself..thus drastically reducing the risk of a short circuit somewhere in the bikes wiring system.   Flick the switch on and you are ready to start up as normal.

I use the type of switch which has a removable operating key...so in a very simple way it can act as an anti theft device.  Its normal practice to disconnect the battery if you have to work on the bike for some reason..getting at that battery is a bit of a pain..just flick the switch to off and your electrics are all dead..bar that one new heavy cable you've fitted.

All in all I s'pose the cost of necessary parts will be about 10 to 15 US Dollars and a couple of hours of your time.  A mechanic or auto electrician I'm sure would do the work for you at a reasonable cost if you don't fancy messing with electrics.

Hope you find it useful...Regards...John Connor

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: Safer Electrics.
Reply #1 - 10/31/08 at 17:54:36

Interesting idea. You might want to post this in the Tech documents section along with a picture of your install and a link to a supplier that sells the switch. Perhaps with a title like Electric Isolation Safety Switch Install Tips.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/31/08 at 22:12:38

Does thast bypass the decomp solenoid?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #3 - 11/01/08 at 21:36:15

Justin,

If I read his description correctly he has completely isolated the battery from the bike, so EVERYTHING should be disconnected when the switch is open, just as if you had pulled the positive wire off the battery.

That could be very handy for later electrical mods/repairs. Just double check that it's OFF with a voltmeter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/01/08 at 23:04:29

I guess I dont get it. Does the decomp solenoid fire when he hits the start button or switch, whatever..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/02/08 at 06:28:08

This is just a battery disconnect.
The backfire prevention device is in one of kropatchek's recent post.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:29:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Safer Electrics.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.