Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How Cold can u go? (Read 823 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: How Cold can u go?
Reply #30 - 11/02/08 at 09:47:01

+2 celsius halloween night. It will be 13,14 and 15 C wednesday through friday of the coming week. Soooooooo, not parking her yet.

Ottawa, Canada.

IP Logged
Crotchrocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 11/02/08 at 13:46:35

My indicator is frost.  If there's frost on my lawn, I usually take the minivan.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #32 - 11/02/08 at 16:21:17

First, I must say, a windshield make the world of diffference in cold weather.  And one that keeps the wind off the hands like my Slipstreamer is even better yet.

Coldest,  was 32 deg F for that charity ride / Poke Run.  Rode from 7:40 AM til we reached the end point about 11 AM.  The engine makes a great hand/glove warmer  Grin  

But, for my commute to work,  somewhere around 45 deg F is where I realize that sitting on the heated seats in the truck is better than freezing my butt off......    

Cold weather gear....  Laether Chaps work great.   Rain gear or Mesh Jacket with rain liner .    Leather glove shells with Wool liners (wool is better than cotton).   Layers....layers... layers...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 11/03/08 at 04:50:41

Last Thursday, I rode my usual hour to work in 29 F weather.  I used those reuseable gel-pack heater disks in a fishing vest under my snowsuit, and I was toasty warm - except for my hands.  My fingers were freezing, and this was with cotton liners inside leather gloves.

So both my husband and I have ordered Hippo Hands and they are supposed to be here today.  I will post about them after using them and let you know how they go.

I intend to ride all winter unless there is ice on the ground (SW Ohio).  So far so good.

Ride safe (and warm),
Amy

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #34 - 11/05/08 at 06:33:05

Once the temps drop into the 40s, I am willing to sacrifice the 650s 60ish mpg economy for the fine heater in the 26 mpg Sonoma.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Roadrunner17
YaBB Newbies

We are men of
action.  Lies
do not become us.

VA Chesapeake
Reply #35 - 11/05/08 at 06:40:38

Daily rider here in coastal VA, mostly 1-3 mile rides.  Ridden with temps as low as the mid-teens, provided the roads are absolutely dry.  Combination of moisture and low temps can be discouraging, but ice is a deal-breaker for me.

Proper equipment is essential; I ride with my Joe Rocket fiber jacket w/armor and liner if its cold; and Icon leather gloves & boots.  When I know it's cold I wear one of those terrorist-looking head smocks to keep face & neck toasty.

On one of my longer rides two years ago (30 or so miles) I got caught in a surprise snowstorm.  Mostly it was OK, though my gloves boots and pants got soaked and that was pretty uncomfortable.  Were either waterproof it would have been better, though it's not something I'd recommend or do again intentionally.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #36 - 11/05/08 at 15:33:28

If I had better gear I would ride in much cooler weather but after they salt/sand the roads I'm pretty much done. Plus I have some things I'm doing over the winter that will shut me down anyhow.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 11/19/08 at 05:08:37

New personal low!!! 28 degrees. Shocked Not that bad. My hands were cold but my ride to work is not that long either.

IP Logged
Paminator
YaBB Newbies

Lil red head riders
rock

Orlando Florida
Reply #38 - 11/19/08 at 05:27:47

Someplace I have a pic of hubby on his Savage, the old 2 stroke 250 one back in Denver, arriving home after riding in a bad snowstorm with about 6" of snow stuck to the front of his winter gear.  He is a bit weird tho.  I don't like the cold and he will ride anytime.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #39 - 11/19/08 at 08:24:41

I ride all year around here in western NC, 23 mile commute one way, as long as there is no precipitation in the forecast.  I know I have ridden when the temp was 17 degrees F.  I would have ridden today (20 degrees) but I'm working on the carb and will need to test drive on a shorter trip.  I have insulated Gore-tex pants, winter motorcycle gloves or ski mittens, an NFL down jacket (Steelers), and a fleece face mask plus goggles.  National Windshield Plexistar 2 helps also.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 11/19/08 at 11:01:18

i went to school today 20 mins in 30 degree weather. i wore 2 gloves one leather with lining and the other warm riding gloves and my fingers turned purple. not good. looks like im getting heated gloves

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 11/19/08 at 11:05:09

60 degrees

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #42 - 11/24/08 at 17:51:49

30 degrees F with dry roads.  Winter gear is 4 layers of polyester + fleece, Teknic Sprint textile jacket, Teknic Thunder gauntlet waterproof gloves, Gore-tex pants, full-face helmet.

I decided wet winter roads are a no-go LOL.  Commute home from work, was 31F with freezing rain, wet snow, 15MPH winds, and unable to use the helmet's face shield. Frozen rain hurts. ouch. Pedestrian asked me, "ARE YOU NUTS??"  The stock IRC tires did end up having about as much traction as the cars did under the circumstances.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 11/25/08 at 03:47:56

Last week did my hour morning commute in 19 F.  I have a snowmobile suit (eBay, $30) and have finally got the hands figured out: Hippo Hand guards plus ski gloves.  It's a little crowded in there, but I can still find the controls. Wink  

Yesterday and today there is freezing rain so I had to bring the cage.  As long as there is no ice I will ride.  Thankfully most of the leaves have come down now so that's one risk gone.

Amy

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #44 - 11/25/08 at 04:34:53

serenity3743 wrote on 11/19/08 at 08:24:41:
I ride all year around here in western NC, 23 mile commute one way, as long as there is no precipitation in the forecast.  I know I have ridden when the temp was 17 degrees F.  I would have ridden today (20 degrees) but I'm working on the carb and will need to test drive on a shorter trip.  I have insulated Gore-tex pants, winter motorcycle gloves or ski mittens, an NFL down jacket (Steelers), and a fleece face mask plus goggles.  National Windshield Plexistar 2 helps also.

Glad you said that....I do think a down jacket would be best!

Although,to answer the question of the topic ...I personally dont like cold weather riding....unless I'm a passenger and have a warm body in front of me  Grin Then its okay. I have to wear so much clothing its hard to ride by myself Smiley Maybe one day I'll venture out and get the right winter gear though Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Cold can u go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.