Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How Cold can u go? (Read 823 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: How Cold can u go?
Reply #15 - 10/31/08 at 05:12:05

As long as the roads aren't snow and ice covered, I'll ride. There's been a couple of days that were below 0 degF and several in the single digits. Heated clothing makes this not only possible, but comfortable. If it gets well below freezing, I also have thin polypropolene hooded mask (don't know what else to call it) that I wear inside my helmet.

IP Logged
I once had a mohawk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/31/08 at 05:19:06

34 today on the way to work. 60mph the entire way. I have to say one of the best things I have bought are these Men's Gauntlet Leather Gloves with Rain Cover and Long Cuff from LeatherUp.com. After my ride today my hands were a little chilly but not anywhere near as cold as the day I rode in 44 degrees with my mesh summer gloves on.  Here is the link to those gloves. $15.00 gets you real lamb skin leather gloves that are very well made and keep your hands warm.

https://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Gloves-/Mens-Gauntlet-Leather-Gloves-w...

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #17 - 10/31/08 at 05:42:58

How cold can I go?  Depends on how cold it can get, I guess.  I've been riding an hour to work in 20-22 F for a couple of weeks now.  I've got the clothes figured out, but as someone said, the ice on the inside of the face shield is a pain.  I need to find a way to stop that.

I also need to find some studded tires, because we generally get a little snow around here in the winter.

Heck, if I didn't ride below 45 F, I'd have 9 miles on my bike this summer instead of 9000. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #18 - 10/31/08 at 06:31:57

Just rode in to work today. About 40 degrees, but at 60/70mph gets a bit nippy. Long john's man. Long Johns. Smiley

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #19 - 10/31/08 at 08:11:39

Last December 23rd I rode from Owatonna, MN to Ames, IA straight down I35 @ 75mph (2hrs driving).  For half the trip I was followed by my fiance, and the temp her car read was 8deg F.

That was by far the coldest (and subsequently longest!) ride I've ever done.  Even I thought that was a little stupid...

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #20 - 10/31/08 at 08:27:06

50 is it for me. Used to do 40 but it's just to darn cold. My ride is pretty much in the garage for the season unless I just can't afford to put gas in my truck.  Wink

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/31/08 at 11:57:49

Wow!  I'm impressed, many brave souls out there.  More power to you!

Ess:  Sorry man, I love cold weather, however, riding in the cold is something I could do without.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 10/31/08 at 12:31:40

I generally ride if it is not below freezing out.  If it is supposed to warm up during the day, I will ride to work in sub-freezing weather.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #23 - 10/31/08 at 13:44:34

I've ridin' in 4 Santa Claus parades and braved two snow storms. That was a few years ago.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #24 - 10/31/08 at 15:18:16

i don't usually take any extended rides when it gets below 40, but i'll ride around town, or just make short runs 30 miles or less all year round. i always look forward to riding on new years as long as the roads are clear. if i'm out riding quads, it doesnt matter how cold it is, we ride all day long, or all night long.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #25 - 11/01/08 at 00:25:32

Coldest ride was 28 degrees, dry roads, on a KLR650. I was so layered that I was actually a little warm; except for my fingers and toes. I looked like the Michelin man.
Routinely ride into the 30's as long as there's no moisture on the roads; but I've not attempted that type of riding on the Savage yet. Not sure how that air cooled thumper will react to cold, cold air.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #26 - 11/01/08 at 05:47:04

Yesterday 37 degrees riding to work. All but my fingers were warm. I am on a search for better gloves. Used rain pants to block the wind, too much colder will require long johns.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #27 - 11/01/08 at 09:00:50

It's been hoovering aound freezing in the mornings around here and I'm still riding to work. As long as the roads are not icy I'll still ride. At this time of year, every ride is a bonus ride!!! I just picked up gloves that have thinsulate and they are working real good. They also have large cuffs that stop wind going up the sleeves. We used to go back country  riding on Trimotos when it was -20. These machines were air cooled singles (250cc) and never had any problems, so I would assume the Savage will have no issues in the cold either. At my age now, it would be my joints that will have the issues at -20.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #28 - 11/01/08 at 09:31:00

I think I'm goin' ridin' today it's already almost 70. Roll Eyes

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #29 - 11/02/08 at 03:23:18

Coldest was 16 degrees under dry conditions.  But as long as there isn't any ice I'll be riding.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Cold can u go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.