Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
How Cold can u go? (Read 823 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

How Cold can u go?
10/30/08 at 19:28:25

Hello!  I was wondering what is the coldest weather you all dare to ride in?  How cold can u go??   Huh

I personally have taken on 50 degrees (low), I was thinking of going out this past week in 46 degrees but it was a bit too windy for me.  Yes!  Believe it or not, it actually got down in the 40's this week in sunny, Florida.   Cool

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: How Cold can u go?
Reply #1 - 10/30/08 at 19:33:50

Coldest for me is about 38-39.... that was cold... but I have seen and been a lot colder!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 10/30/08 at 19:41:51

The gear I have feels good @ 45f for the hour to hour and a half ride commute - and you can stand it to around 40f but it's pretty dang cold under that

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/30/08 at 19:51:24

PPPFFFTTT.Southerners Roll Eyes Grin.Carhart jacket,long johns,bandana over the face,good for about 20 degrees for about 40 min ride.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #4 - 10/30/08 at 20:08:21

I stupidly did 31 degrees with the WRONG gear last week!  Undecided

I am going to give it a try tomorrow morning in about what they are calling for 40 degree temps but I am going to wear ALOT more this time around...

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 10/30/08 at 20:53:24

So far the lowest this year is 32. But it is only a 30 minute ride so I will go lower as long as it is dry. That Ice is a killer.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/30/08 at 21:50:05

You just can't out do a cold country rider...You guys are tough!

I call it at 48f,...did 38f once in a navy pea coat, but I had to stop at a Quickie Mart and stuff the Weekly down my shirt and pants (cashier thought I was nuts).

My record goes the other way, 114F!...  In traffic, on pavement, at a light, = 135f+,....Human toast...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Chong Kim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SantaFe, NM
Reply #7 - 10/30/08 at 21:57:14

20 or a bit above last New Year's day. When it gets really cold my family dons some snowmobile mittens and goosedown vests to go under the leathers. Chaps on top of leather pants do a good job of keeping the cold away. We almost always go for a ride on Christmas Day and New Years day. Heck, we almost always go for a ride every day!!! Maybe I should buy a heated suit...nah, that would be cheating.

We ride as long as there is minimal ice on the road. It takes the right gear to ride safely when it's very cold. Also acclimation. By Spring, we feel like 50 degrees is a balmy day. In the early fall, that same 50 can seem awfully cold!!!

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #8 - 10/30/08 at 22:11:24

I try to ride all 12 months here in Missouri. If I can get a high of 45 degrees and it ain't raining or snowing when I leave, I ride to work! Some of the folks there think I'm nuts but it keeps the bosses guessing. (and a little more respectful) Only time it crosses me up is when I close the store and my breath starts frosting the faceshield at night.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 10/30/08 at 22:17:51

This is a good one for me to look into. I've had the bike a couple of years now and it's starting to feel like it's time for me to make a long winter run. I live in southern MN and am thinking about maybe trying to do the run to N. Carolina to visit the sisters.

I'm thinking I should drop in on Oldfeller as well and have him help me change my fork seals. And any other thing I can think of along the lines of "experience could help me" get it done faster AND right. Besides I just know he wants to hear all about how the BFG works in snow and on ice. Ain't that right Oldie?

Jack

IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 10/30/08 at 23:55:51

well it was 40 here when I went home from work at 8am.  and when I was younger I rode to work while it was snowing like hell.   as long as the streets clean I'll go just to keep the thing running now and then.

« Last Edit: 10/31/08 at 02:48:17 by Tincanman »  

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 10/31/08 at 01:50:51

As long as there is no ice I plan on riding all year. It was 34 the other morning on the way to work. I need to get better gloves but other than that I was fine.

Before I had the motorcycle I have ridden quite frequently on my bicycle in -20 degree weather. But then I have Inuit gear to keep me warm. I wish it worked for the Savage, the gloves are too thick although the rest of the fur might be just fine. I'll give it a try.

I love annpying my coworkers by wearing fur.  Wink

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 10/31/08 at 01:59:13

20ish on a regular basis.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #13 - 10/31/08 at 03:54:25

Flcruzer:

You're giving us Floridians a bad rep Wink

I rode to work yesterday in record low temps for the area:  48F (dew point was 42 degrees F). Wasn't bad at all.  I had on gloves, my lined riding jacket, FF Helmet and jeans.  At 65 miles an hour, 48 degrees feels like the low 20's, but when I would stop at a traffic light it felt very warm by comparison. The windshield kept the wind off my chest and neck, but my hands did get a bit cold.  I encountered only one other rider on the way to work and he gave me this hearty wave...or maybe he was just trying to get blood circulating in his arm..? Usually I pass 20 or more bikes.

One thing I will say for sure -let your bike warm up for 5 minutes before you ride. My oil pressure gauge was pegged at 50 psi when I started it up and it took a while for it to get down to normal levels. And my bike stays inside the garage at night.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/31/08 at 04:43:19

First trip I every went on,We were 250 miles from home it was 25 degrees,had snowmobile suit on,but it was cold,all freeway driving too,Stop about every 45 minutes to warm up,that was 1974.had full windshield.Suzuki GT550,

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Cold can u go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.