Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spirit is willing, but carb is weak (cold start) (Read 98 times)
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spirit is willing, but carb is weak (cold start)
10/30/08 at 10:10:15

My Thumpinator, my hero in so many ways, revealed a weakness this morning - he does not like to start in the cold.  It was 29 F today and he cranked over and over, many times, before he finally agreed to get me on my way to work.  With choke, without choke, this made no difference - he did not want to start.  Finally, he started.  It seemd as though he didn't want to fire.  (sound:  er, er er, er er, er er)

Any suggestions?  This is a stock 2006 S40, 5660 miles.  He sleeps in the garage, but the garage is not heated.

Thanks.
Ride safe,
Amy

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Spirit is willing, but carb is weak (cold star
Reply #1 - 10/30/08 at 10:15:55

Cold weather can and most times will weaken a battery.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 10/30/08 at 10:45:10

Is anyone firing up a car at about the same time?  Heat from the car's exhaust can warm up the heart of your thumpinator.

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/30/08 at 10:46:30

Hi Trippah, no my husband and I are both dedicated to riding through the winter, no cages are starting up at the moment. Wink
Amy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/30/08 at 11:42:50

Everyone should know how to push start their bike.

My technique is a combination of pushing and electric start.

Push it up as fast as your little legs encombered with boots, leggings, pants, jacket, helmet, and gloves will go.   Roll Eyes
Hop on, pick the appropriate gear (for me it's 1st) push button for electric start, let out clutch after a rev or 2.  Hope it starts before it stops.

Pushing the button activates the decomp and gets the engine turning so that when you let out the clutch momentum takes over for the starter.  That is if you still have all of the safety's in place.  Starter will automatic shutoff when the clutch is let out, just remember to let go of the button before pulling the clutch back in.

There are other techniques

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/30/08 at 11:43:11

If you're using a 20-50wt oil, you might try going to a 10-40 for the winter.  
And like Yonuh Adisi said, a weak battery will make itself known in the cold.  The cold oil is thicker and takes more cranking amps to turn.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/30/08 at 12:00:15

Verslagen, yes I can pop-start it, and did it two weeks ago when I left my keys in the bike. Roll Eyes   But I'd rather not do that throughout the winter, fun though it is.

Serowbot and Yonuh Adisi - thanks, maybe a battery charger is in order...also he is due for an oil change and I will go to the thinner oil.  

Many thanks all for the help.  No fun, all bundled up, reuseable gel heater packs in pockets, and nowhere to go! :'(

Ride safe (and warm),
Amy

IP Logged
DJM

'06 Red S40

Encinitas CA
Reply #7 - 10/30/08 at 13:08:02

Hi Amy,
If you discharged your battery completely a couple of weeks ago, you may have damaged it. Batteries don't like to be drained flat. It may no longer hold a charge like it did when new.   Are you still on the original battery?

Dave

Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 10/30/08 at 13:12:54

I'd suggest either getting the battery checked or if it has some age (and has been discharged) just replacing it.

If you don't ride as much in the winter, a battery tender is a good investment.

If that doesn't do the trick, start checking connections.
Last and pretty far behind, there might be a problem with the enrichener.

Let us know how it turns out. The savage isn't really a cold-blooded beast; it should fire right up.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #9 - 10/30/08 at 18:25:05

verslagen1 wrote on 10/30/08 at 11:42:50:
Everyone should know how to push start their bike.

My technique is a combination of pushing and electric start.

Push it up as fast as your little legs encombered with boots, leggings, pants, jacket, helmet, and gloves will go.   Roll Eyes
Hop on, pick the appropriate gear (for me it's 1st) push button for electric start, let out clutch after a rev or 2.  Hope it starts before it stops.

Pushing the button activates the decomp and gets the engine turning so that when you let out the clutch momentum takes over for the starter.  That is if you still have all of the safety's in place.  Starter will automatic shutoff when the clutch is let out, just remember to let go of the button before pulling the clutch back in.

There are other techniques

I used to have to do that to my 74 super beetle. It wouldn't start when the temps got below 32. Had to push and then jump in and pop the clutch. Those were the good old days. I can't believe it didn't occur to me to do it to the bike. Duh!

Mind you I have to go uphill to get out of the driveway so I'd have to push it to the alley before I could get a running start.  Smiley

IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/31/08 at 06:04:56

You guys are the best.

Dave and mornhm - yes, I sure did discharge the entire battery two weeks ago, and it is the original battery.  Although this is an '06, I bought it used this year with 1100 miles on it and have put the other 5500 on it since July.  I like to ride. Wink  So if I have screwed up the original battery, maybe it's time for a new one.

Alittlebird - yes, as a child we had a Beetle that my dad had to roll down a hill every morning to pop start. Grin  It really does work with the bike too.  I didn't have to push the start button, just let out the clutch and gave it some throttle (I think...it's been two weeks...trying to remember what I did)

At any rate, Thump is in the shop now.  I stopped for gas yesterday and had no noise out of the starter at all.  I wiggled the handlebars and then the starter worked perfectly.  Maybe a short?  I don't know if the two problems are related....in any case, I threw myself at the mercy of the repair dudes, who are excellent.  *counting money in wallet*

Thanks again for all the good tips.
Be safe everyone.
Amy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spirit is willing, but carb is weak (cold start)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.