Motorcycle license (Read 257 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Motorcycle license
10/29/08 at 19:29:06

Anyone from CA know what the dmv motorcycle driving test consists of? I know that they'll accept the completion certificate from a $300 safety course but just curious. I've been on a permit for almost a year now and need to get the license before the permit expires. I rode over to the local dmv and there is a circle with two lines coming off of it. The circle and each of the lines is made up of two lines, parallel to eachother with about 6" between them. Thanks folks

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Eddy Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rocklin Ca.
Re: Motorcycle license
Reply #1 - 10/29/08 at 19:37:28

yes you do the circle strate brake hard...   its not to bad cause look at some of the riders not to smart good luck

IP Logged
Marin newbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/30/08 at 08:46:46

I tried the riding test and it's a pregnant dog! Not that I am a particularly skilled rider, but I'm not a moron either.  The circle is extremely tight.

You start by riding a straight short course thru 4 or 5 cones, then immediately enter the circle (really, it's a doughnut created by 2 concentric yellow circles); you go around twice, and then exit back into the cone course and stop.  You can do it at any speed but if your tire touches any part of the circle lines (inner or outer lines that is) you fail.  If you touch a foot down you also fail.  

I got no practice warm ups, no retests, no start overs.  I was in and out in about 10 seconds as I had never had any practices and was completely unprepared--I touched a foot down on the first circle.  As I said, I found the arc of the circle really tight!.  I never got to any other portions of the test so can't tell what else they do.

As I am in the same permit status, I'm just gonna do the MSF course, pay the money and say the hell with the DMV test.  I believe it's completely unrealistic.  As for all the idiots out there, who even knows if they're licensed?  

If you're still up for it, you can go to any DMV test site that does bike tests and practice -- after hours only (look out for the hoodlums on skateboards).  Good luck!

IP Logged
Marin newbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/30/08 at 08:52:27

Interesting side note...  Just re-read my own post. My observation that the test is a "b*tch" somehow automatically came out reading:

"I tried the riding test and it's a pregnant dog!"

I suppose I can accept this unusual restriction on free speech, but how amusing! One wonders what other default euphemisms our site administrator has cooked up for us! Anyway, i do love dogs, pregnant or otherwise, so it's cool.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/30/08 at 09:20:01

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/30/08 at 09:31:51

Marin newbie wrote on 10/30/08 at 08:52:27:
Interesting side note...  Just re-read my own post. My observation that the test is a "b*tch" somehow automatically came out reading:

"I tried the riding test and it's a pregnant dog!"

I suppose I can accept this unusual restriction on free speech, but how amusing! One wonders what other default euphemisms our site administrator has cooked up for us! Anyway, i do love dogs, pregnant or otherwise, so it's cool.

You don't want to mention VP thingy Cheney, or the censor will get you, too.  Or old west gunfighter, Deadeye thingy... See..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #6 - 10/30/08 at 09:41:58

HAha that got me laughing. I've seen the pregnant dog mentioned and thought it was just something I haven't heard of before. I did notice a few times I may have mentioned the structure built by beavers and it said "darn". lol. Ok well looks like I'll take some trips down there and practice. It helps that the DMV is about 1 mile from my house. That circle is VERY tight. I was told from a few guys at work this morning that you just have to go real slow, rpms high with brakes on. I'll go hit it up this weekend. I'm not going to ride without a license..johnny law already hassles enough

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 10/30/08 at 10:04:13

88pagan-

Trying to find out what the test really consists of is a good idea. Might want to check and see if your state DMV has information on-line or available in written form (I'll bet they do - Illinois does). For example the two concentric circles to me would indicate that they have two standards (maybe one for MCs at or below 250cc and one for above). The smaller circle being required for smaller MCs. Good news for the Savage, in Illinois it qualifies under the larger class, but really isn't bigger than most MCs with small engines.

As far as the "real slow, rpms high with brakes on." advice from the guys at work, you might want to get other advice. Their method can be done, but it isn't near as easy as - dragging the back brake, feathering the clutch (AKA using the friction zone), and looking through the turns - lots of other things - like counter-weighting - can be added to really make parking lots easy, but most DMV tests aren't that stringent. Using the front brakes with the engine rpms high will end up with a lot of upset in your riding position (diving and then bouncing back) and that makes staying on course harder than it needs to be. There is a lot to be said for practicing also. I took my son to practice for his test and he flew through the test with no problems.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 10/30/08 at 10:14:03

Too bad you don't live in Clovis New Mexico, the test is a joke.

They don't even set up cones for the slalom part of the test.

Step 1: Circle the parking lot once so the examiner can here you switch gears.

Step 2: Pretend there are cones in the middle of the parking lot and weave them.

Step 3: A figure eight in the middle of the parking lot.

Step 4: Quick stop, as long as you are in first gear with both feet on the ground at the end of the stop you pass.

My examiner said I had done the slowest quick stop she had ever seen. But as I was in first gear and both feet were on the ground when I completed it, I had passed.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #9 - 10/31/08 at 18:31:58

I can already tell ya i'd flunk that calif test every time! The S-40 and i dont agree with eachother when it comes to slow turns. I wonder what the fail rate is on that Calif test.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/31/08 at 18:45:22

Practice low speed, tight turns in a parking lot. Lean the bike left, you lean right & keep your body near vertical.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 10/31/08 at 19:04:00

Rustbucket wrote on 10/31/08 at 18:31:58:
.... I wonder what the fail rate is on that Calif test.  

It is high enough that a LOT of people take the course to "get legal" -- people who have been riding for many years.  I did.  I started riding in '64, got my DT175 in '74, about '76 or so went down to the DMV on a sunday to try the course.  Failed as you aren't allowed to dab and in low speed maneuvers I tend to dab.  So I never bothered with a license.  Restarting in '04 I figured since I have a family I'm responsible for I ought to be legal.  So I took the course.  Quite a few old folks who's stated purpose was, like me, to get legal.

During the course they taught the "stay upright and lean the bike" to do the slow turns.  "Oh, so that's how you do it!"

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 10/31/08 at 23:48:19

go down when no one is around and practice, if you can pass the test, you are a competent rider. slow speed manuvers are the hardest. any fool can go fast it takes real skill to ride slow and be in control. frequently practice slow tight turns along with figgure eights. i also practice coming to a stop and stand upright on pegs for as long as possible. iv'e gotten pretty darn good at iot.  when i was in haawaii in the mid seventies the test was tought, we all said i couldn't be done.  officer in big harley does the thing with aout a flaw.   convinced me to learn how to manavure at the lowest speed possible. practice practie  practice.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 11/01/08 at 14:46:01

while slow speed maneuvers are important, they probably wont save your life.

awareness and being able to brake and/or countersteer will

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 11/01/08 at 16:16:23

It all helps.  Be able to do the low speed maneuvers will keep you from the low speed drops.  My one somewhat serious injury, a broken collarbone, was from falling off the bike when it was nearly at a standstill.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:30:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle license

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.