Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stalled out today, need advice (Read 193 times)
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stalled out today, need advice
10/29/08 at 14:19:16

I was riding to work just now, and after about 10 miles my bike died on me. I could not get it started again, until I tried setting it to "Reserve" or "Prime" (I don't know which, the knob part goes towards the back) and it started right up and ran all the way to work (another few miles). Does anyone know what could have caused this? There is gas in the tank, and I just put in a new spark plug and K&N air filter last week. It has been running a little rich still, and backfires slightly when it is shut off. Any advice?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Re: Stalled out today, need advice
Reply #1 - 10/29/08 at 14:35:04

Yes, It is very common. Your vacuum petcock line is likely cracked or split. Check it closely and if damaged replace it with a good length of automotive fuel line like this.  

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/29/08 at 14:50:02

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply! Does running on Prime bypass this or something, and will I be good to run on it until I can get to the Auto parts store?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #3 - 10/29/08 at 15:12:44

Yes.  The petcock has a little diaphram in it that seals off the fuel flow when the engine is off (and therefore is not producing a vacuum.) IF the vacuum line gets cracked, you lose the suction on the diaphragm and the fuel flow will be shut off while the engine is running. Running on Prime bypasses the vacuum switch so fuel feeds by gravity.

It is OK to run on Prime until you get a new line. Just make sure you switch it back to ON when you turn the bike off.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/29/08 at 15:32:17

Great! Thanks again!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 10/29/08 at 22:01:51

be careful - when running on prime you have no reserve - if you run out your out

IP Logged
mountaintrout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/03/08 at 09:59:00

im not sure which line i am to look at on my new motorcycle.  got it saturday and im not the best mechanic but time and patience helps me.  could someone take a photo of the line im to look at and where the crack might be?..or any photo of exactly the line im to replace?

thank you kindly

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/03/08 at 11:21:31

It's the only one wrapped with wire on the carb.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mountaintrout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/03/08 at 14:10:14

thank you so very much for the extra pics and the information.  it is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/19/08 at 22:44:34

Ok, so I replaced the vacuum line with a better piece of fuel line from Autozone, but it still has problems after running for a short while. It runs great on Prime, but while on regular it runs for a while and then stalls out and wont start again until I put it back to Prime. What gives?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/19/08 at 23:20:31

You definitely have a petcock problem.

Do you have some sort of clamps on the ends of the hoses?
Plastic cable ties will do.

I'd also check the vac port on the carb while the bike was running to make sure it isn't plugged.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/19/08 at 23:41:52

If thers gas in the vac line the diaphragm is busted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jmg967
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/20/08 at 09:32:45

I do have clamps at both ends of the new line. I was searching around and read another thread about replacing it with a Raptor 660, would that solve my problem?

IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #13 - 11/20/08 at 10:07:24

The raptor is a manual petcock, which would require you to turn the petcock off every time you park it. You would no longer need the nice new vac line you purchased since it takes it out of the loop.

If you buy a replacement OEM vacuum petcock, it should last you many years without any problems and provide the convenience of automatic shutoff when you turn off the bike.  Personally, I'd replace it with the OEM unit butyou can go either way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalled out today, need advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.