Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stripped down for re-paint (updated) (Read 550 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Stripped down for re-paint (pics added)
Reply #15 - 10/29/08 at 10:09:57

srinath wrote on 10/29/08 at 10:04:49:
Yonuh - you didn't cut the frame or otherwise rake it right ?
I dont think my 10-12 inch longer legs are this pronuncedly stretched.
Cool.
Srinath.

Nope, no modification to the frame at all, I even used the stock Savage neck stem and bearings.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 10/29/08 at 10:14:44

OK, I guess your FE is longer ... I have to check mine and see if its going to look like yours in that pic in your avatar. Maybe its an camera fish eye thing ... maybe not, your other pics still look raked.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #17 - 10/29/08 at 11:19:44

srinath wrote on 10/29/08 at 10:03:05:
He made the springer ... with his bare hands ... beating the metal and ... forget it ... he put a lot of pics up when he was building it ~1 year ago.
He and I were posting about fitting some loooooooong ass front end off whatever poor bike happened to have strayed our way ...
I did KX500 ... he went the springy way ... harley springy ...

There is a box-o-wine in everyone's tank ...

Not responsible for DWI or wobbling after fill up either ...

Cool.
Srinath.

By the way srinath, how is that coming along? I haven't seen any update to that for quite some time.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 10/29/08 at 11:32:51

Its like 1 hour from being on the road ... except ...
OK I took it all apart, got the frame powdercoated, got the heads done 3 angle valve, decking it, gaskets etc, fit the motor back and all else back, fit the FE on it ... it was 99% done when I realised I didn;t have a front caliper for it. Then life took over, and we loaded it in a E350 van that we turned into a trailer and moved to houston. Then 6 months went by and I hated my job there and we moved right back to NC. In houston though, I found a caliper for it. Then in NC its sat in that trailer in the location of the driver for the last 6 months while I have been buried in other projects. Needless to say, I have plonked a 1000 things between it and the right side double doors ... so getting it out will take 3 hours ... but once out its 1 hour. Fitting rear fender, fitting light misc like caliper etc, bleeding it and test running it.
Anyway, I will get it done soon.
However I bought savage #4 october, and am furiously fixing it ... it should be done and running in the next 2 weeks.
Anyway, I have to get the maxim done and to my friend, get the virago stuff back from my houston upholstery guy etc etc. Then there is the never ending GS500 parade.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #19 - 10/29/08 at 11:36:52

Ooookkkaaaay then. That explains why no update. LOL. Hope you can get settled enough to relax soon.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 10/29/08 at 11:49:41

I have realised that the time it takes me to buy and tear down a busted bike and find the parts for it, and fit it back together is exactly 1 hour more than the interval at which these exciting projects show up in my neighborhood. So I have to move where there is fewer exciting projects or work faster.
Anyway, that bike has been bobbed so severely that whoever sees it is going to assume it was also chopped.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Stripped down for re-paint
Reply #21 - 10/29/08 at 15:43:24

mikestrikes wrote on 10/29/08 at 08:10:59:
Steely............ how well does it cool with the fins coated ?

I want a Black motor but was going to paint.

I have had no problems with it staying cool at all.  I have not run any empirical tests, but I don't notice any more heat radiating out of it than before.  I prefer powder coating over painting.  It seems to hold up better under heat and UV.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 10/29/08 at 16:27:11

Finally someone else says exactly what I been saying for years ...
Powdercoating will not look as pretty as paint the day the 2 are done. 1 year out, they are starting to look similar if they have been inside, and if they have been outside they look very similar. 2 years later, the powder looks better, no matter what, and after that its no contest.
I clear over powdercoat usually, and even better on some powder, you can sand with 1000 grit and paint clear ... at any time, over even clear coated powder.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #23 - 01/10/09 at 16:47:15

I am very irritated. I was in the process of painting my rear fender and guess what. THE DANG THING FELL AND HIT THE GARAGE FLOOR. UUUHHHGGG!!! And one of my side covers did the same dang thing blast it.

Now I got to almost start over with it. The tank is painted and the forward controls though.

I'm gonna get something to eat and go back out there.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #24 - 01/10/09 at 17:51:10

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 01/10/09 at 16:47:15:
I am very irritated. I was in the process of painting my rear fender and guess what. THE DANG THING FELL AND HIT THE GARAGE FLOOR. UUUHHHGGG!!! And one of my side covers did the same dang thing blast it.

Now I got to almost start over with it. The tank is painted and the forward controls though.

I'm gonna get something to eat and go back out there.

Get some cheapie bungie cords.  Hang the fender and side cover on then and then do the spraying.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: Stripped down for re-paint (updated)
Reply #25 - 01/10/09 at 18:14:22

When I painted my fenders, etc, I had to hang them from a tree and paint them. If that isn't "shade tree" then nothin' is. But I painted with bed liner, so it didn't matter. Came out perfect!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #26 - 01/10/09 at 18:25:11

Tried to straighten the boogered up parts of the fender and side cover but it didn't work very well as I ran out of paint. (using rattle cans) The tank and forward controls look good though.

I just ain't a body man, I think next time I will just take the tins to a body shop here in town. I know they do good work because they painted my buddies VTX1300.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #27 - 01/10/09 at 21:50:40

Almost there, had to stop because I need some RTV for the plug cap which I will be getting tomorrow. But hopefully within the next couple of days I will be up and running again. And man do I need it, I need some asphalt therapy extremely bad.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #28 - 01/12/09 at 00:30:56

Fired it up a few minutes ago. The FireLizard is coming together again nicely except the wiring harness I had bought off of e-bay was the wrong one, so I had to just fix my old harness and use it. That's okay though, that just means I have a harness for my 87 frame when I get done using it for mock-ups and get ready to build it for my daughter.

All I got left to do is do a bit of wire management and put the tank on and button it the rest of the way up and I will be ready to roll again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 01/12/09 at 06:45:50

A case of beer will grease the skids with a painter. Go visit up at the body shop. You walk in & pay regular prices for paint work, you might have a heart attack. There are ways to save $$$. Learning to do the prep work yourself & getting the painter to do it "On the side" are the 2 biggest.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:26:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped down for re-paint (updated)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.